View Full Version : Has anyone here had a personal trainer/programme made at the gym?

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:14
I used to go to the gym about 5 times a week, doing 45mins to an hour (maybe more sometimes) when i went.

Then i stopped going as much etc (as iv previously posted). To get me back into it, iv asked an instructor (i know her personally as well as through the gym) to make me a programme, so that i can get motivated to going to the gym again.

I went on Thursday and the programme looks easy compaired to what i used to do at the gym. I used to go on the treadmill for half hour, bike, steppers, weights etc. But this programme she has made me seems a tad... easy. Shes got me on the rowing machine for 10 minutes (i used to do 15-30 mins on that), the bike for 10 minutes and then the rest is really just mat work or weight work.

I dont know what to do... whether to stick to the programme or use it as a 'guide' and just add like 5/10 minutes/reps on to each exercise...

What do you think?

*Ryan*
28-01-2007, 15:24
Stick with what you will enjoy and ask for advice on stuff. If the 1 she has givin you isnt making u sweat then dont do it. Why not set targets on cardio, like couple a miles etc..?

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:27
Stick with what you will enjoy and ask for advice on stuff. If the 1 she has givin you isnt making u sweat then dont do it. Why not set targets on cardio, like couple a miles etc..?

Looking at what she has set me, i dont think il be sweating much :|

I was thinking of that, setting my own targets. But now i feel bad for asking her to do me a programme, and not sticking to it.

*Ryan*
28-01-2007, 15:32
Looking at what she has set me, i dont think il be sweating much :|

I was thinking of that, setting my own targets. But now i feel bad for asking her to do me a programme, and not sticking to it.

Im sure she wont lose sleep over it. And what u said on other thingy, shouldnt matter, yes things affect you but shouldnt stop u going or setting out to do what you want to do! Do what you enjoy really, i never go on that bike.. Cos i get bored, instead ill run for 45 mins.. Cos i feel the benefits, but each to their own.. :cool:

medusa
28-01-2007, 15:34
I think that somewhere along the line, she's got the wrong message about your overall fitness level. Have you thought of asking her how you can improve on that when it gets really easy, rather than asking her to write you a new programme?

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:35
Im sure she wont lose sleep over it. And what u said on other thingy, shouldnt matter, yes things affect you but shouldnt stop u going or setting out to do what you want to do! Do what you enjoy really, i never go on that bike.. Cos i get bored, instead ill run for 45 mins.. Cos i feel the benefits, but each to their own.. :cool:

I dont really like the bike, i prefer the treadmill or rowing machine more. I love the rowing machine!!

I think il just do that then, set my own targets... maybe use hers as a guide when it comes to doing 'mat' work etc.

Thanks for the advice Ryster! :D

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:36
I think that somewhere along the line, she's got the wrong message about your overall fitness level. Have you thought of asking her how you can improve on that when it gets really easy, rather than asking her to write you a new programme?

I told her when i was there on Thursday that it looks easy compaired to what im used to doing and asked her if i could just 'up' the time/reps etc. She wrote down at the side of each one the highest time/reps i should do. But still, only added like 5 minutes on, 10 more reps etc.

*Ryan*
28-01-2007, 15:37
I dont really like the bike, i prefer the treadmill or rowing machine more. I love the rowing machine!!

I think il just do that then, set my own targets... maybe use hers as a guide when it comes to doing 'mat' work etc.

Thanks for the advice Ryster! :D

Ha ha. No problem. Enjoy.

*Twinkle*
28-01-2007, 15:43
Mine was 20 bike, 20 treadmill, 20 stepper... I got bored! Made me sweat but I did get bored :P

Now I have a bike at home and try to do around 25 miles a day. Sometimes its as much as 50, some days its as little as 10. Oh and I work as a waitress so I walk and walk and walk... lol

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:45
Mine was 20 bike, 20 treadmill, 20 stepper... I got bored! Made me sweat but I did get bored :P

Now I have a bike at home and try to do around 25 miles a day. Sometimes its as much as 50, some days its as little as 10. Oh and I work as a waitress so I walk and walk and walk... lol

Bloody hell, 25 miles! 50 miles! :( wish i could get motivated to do that.

I hate the bike though really, it does get boring. I LOVE the rowing machine.

Thing is, if u do the same exercise over and over, doesnt your muscles 'get use' to the level/amount of work your doing? So you need to up levels, dont you?

duffman
28-01-2007, 15:46
I go to the Niagra Social club and gym. I had a programme set out for me which seemed relatively easy. It wasn't over exhaustive but it set me up nicely to move on the the next level. Despite what you have done in the past if you haven't been for a whils this could be worth doing, give it a go for a few weeks. It could be a good base to get youself to move on to the next level which she could plan out for you. At the end of the day it's whatever you are comfy with and what is making a difference.

*Twinkle*
28-01-2007, 15:49

Thing is, if u do the same exercise over and over, doesnt your muscles 'get use' to the level/amount of work your doing? So you need to up levels, dont you?

I set myself challenges. I've got a chart in my room which I set myself a target on, then see if I can beat it... IE todays was 30 miles, so far I've done 20, when I get home from work today I will try and do 15... If I dont collapse on the bed first! I just put a film on, or watch telly... Or get the tunes banging out, if its daytime!

medusa
28-01-2007, 15:51

Yes- when I was swimming I could do anything from 10 to 30 miles without being any more tired than when I got in the pool (although I did get hungry and thirsty). There were many occasions where I did the equivalent of swimming the channel, just to see if I could make my muscles feel like I'd done some hard work.

If I wanted to feel like I'd worked out, I had to do something else- weights, yoga or rowing machine.

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:52
I set myself challenges. I've got a chart in my room which I set myself a target on, then see if I can beat it... IE todays was 30 miles, so far I've done 20, when I get home from work today I will try and do 15... If I dont collapse on the bed first! I just put a film on, or watch telly... Or get the tunes banging out, if its daytime!

I think i might do that actually! Creat a chart of what to do during the week, and 'up' my targets each week.

Although we havent got any room for an exercise bike at our house, and i certainly havent got the money for one. So i guess il have to stick to the crappy tv/music at the gym haha

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:54
Yes- when I was swimming I could do anything from 10 to 30 miles without being any more tired than when I got in the pool (although I did get hungry and thirsty). There were many occasions where I did the equivalent of swimming the channel, just to see if I could make my muscles feel like I'd done some hard work.

If I wanted to feel like I'd worked out, I had to do something else- weights, yoga or rowing machine.

I want to start swimming. My sister is trying to lose weight at the minute and iv told her when shes lost 5lb's then il take her swimming. Gives me chance to buy a swimming costumer then, and lose some weight so the water doesnt jump out when i get in.

*Twinkle*
28-01-2007, 15:55
I think i might do that actually! Creat a chart of what to do during the week, and 'up' my targets each week.

Although we havent got any room for an exercise bike at our house, and i certainly havent got the money for one. So i guess il have to stick to the crappy tv/music at the gym haha

60 at argos :P Bargain! Buy a nice cushion tho as the seats on the bikes are sooooo painful!

Yeah, I love filling my little chart in! Keeps me on track! And reminds me what a dedicated person I am!

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:57
60 at argos :P Bargain! Buy a nice cushion tho as the seats on the bikes are sooooo painful!

Yeah, I love filling my little chart in! Keeps me on track! And reminds me what a dedicated person I am!

When your skint, 60 is alot!!

Thats why i prefer the gym... iv got the choice of classes, gym, swimming etc all for 29p/month

medusa
28-01-2007, 15:57
The important thing, if you read many opinions on exercise, is that you vary your exercise in order that your body doesn't get used to one regime.

A few weeks of swimming will get your body out of the gym 'rut', but then you'll get in the swimming rut, so you can mix that up with both together, or do aquarobics, yoga or whatever else mixed in with your gym.

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 15:59
The important thing, if you read many opinions on exercise, is that you vary your exercise in order that your body doesn't get used to one regime.

A few weeks of swimming will get your body out of the gym 'rut', but then you'll get in the swimming rut, so you can mix that up with both together, or do aquarobics, yoga or whatever else mixed in with your gym.

Iv tried yoga before. Used to have a yoga dvd so i could do it at home. OUCH! It kills! or it did me anyway... that was before i started going to the gym last year though.

I think if i mix it up, so i focus on cardio certain days and weights on other days... then swimming when my sister is ready... that should be ok? And do what Caprice does and create a chart giving myself targets.

*Ryan*
28-01-2007, 16:06
Iv tried yoga before. Used to have a yoga dvd so i could do it at home. OUCH! It kills! or it did me anyway... that was before i started going to the gym last year though.

I think if i mix it up, so i focus on cardio certain days and weights on other days... then swimming when my sister is ready... that should be ok? And do what Caprice does and create a chart giving myself targets.

You have to keep in mind tho, that when it comes to losing weight, i take it as 75% What you eat and 25% in the gym. If you target certain body parts u want to strengthen and lose the weight things should be much easier. If that makes sense? :?

_Kirsty_
28-01-2007, 16:09
You have to keep in mind tho, that when it comes to losing weight, i take it as 75% What you eat and 25% in the gym. If you target certain body parts u want to strengthen and lose the weight things should be much easier. If that makes sense? :?

I know iv gotta watch that i dont turn fat into muscle, so il try doing more cardio than weights. And when i do use weights, il use the smaller ones, not go for the heaviest because itl turn into muscle which i dont want yet.

I wanna lose weight on my hips, stomach and thighs mostly and Iv got a target of 2 stone to lose this year (also to look like Avril Lavigne but id need to chop my feet off because shes alot smaller than me :hihi: )