Anyone been to Longdendale?

I've often driven past Longendale, but never done any walking round there. Has anyone got any info on walks from there? Preferably circular walks, as I can't see the public transport links out there being much cop.

Thank you, kindly forummers! :)

I don't know exactly where Longendale is, but I've thought for some time that I would like to go to parts along Snake Pass and Woodhead Pass which are not approachable by public transport. It's actually years since I went along Snake Pass, and I have never been along Woodhead Pass. It would be great if we could organise another car-only trip to the further reaches of the Peak District. But I wouldn't be the one to do it because I know zero about those areas. :(

i often walk the longdendale trail - which unfotunately is linear.we walk it so our blind dog can come for a decent walk in the summer.

it goes along the old railway line to sheffield. approx 6 miles in length.

it is popular with "families" walking and mountain bikers, although there are several easily identifiable footpaths going up the hills which i have never been on.

nice little cafe with facilities and car park.

If you wish to go by bus to the Woodhead/ Snake pass area :

First Service 269 Holmfirth - every Sunday Departs Sheff Interchange platform C4 @ 0900 arr Salter Brook Bridge/Dunford Bridge approx 1010 returning back to Sheffield approx 1610

For the Snake Pass Area:

TM Travel Service 273 every Sunday from Sheff IC B1 @ 0900 arrives Snake Inn At 0947 Glossop 1002 returning from Glossop on Service 373 To Castleton @ 1600 or 1725 (this bus then forms the bus back to Sheffield).

Hope this helps.

The best waterfall within a short jaunt of Sheffield is just off the Longdendale trail. You can stand under it in the summer, Timotei style, or climb to the top of it.

I remember walking on a small part several years ago with our two dogs as we were on our way back from Wales and the dogs needed a pit stop

I've got a leaflet here detailing circular walks on and around the Monsal Trail so I would assume there is a similar publication for the Longendale Trail

Ah, I knew you lot wouldn't let me down! Thanks for the info... I'll look into it a bit more now that I'm sure it's not just a car park and a field. ;)

i'm afraid there are no pubs on the longdendale trail either:hihi: :hihi:

if you ever want to check it out on a weekday let me know. i'm more than happy to pay a visit (and take the dogs for a walk)

Cheers Willman. I don't always need a pub either... sometimes a nice caff suits me just as well! :hihi:

Looks like another map to buy with my Christmas book vouchers.

Cheers Willman. I don't always need a pub either... sometimes a nice caff suits me just as well! :hihi:

Looks like another map to buy with my Christmas book vouchers.

Don't bother with the Map (s) I will almost certainly have one that you can borrow.

The best waterfall within a short jaunt of Sheffield is just off the Longdendale trail. You can stand under it in the summer, Timotei style, or climb to the top of it.

What is the Waterfalls Grid Ref? Thanks

What is the Waterfalls Grid Ref? Thanks

Can't give you a grid reference, but if you start up Google earth, then copy and paste this:-

53 29.4279 N, 1 49.4943 W

into the search it will plonk you in general vicinity, it's either this tributary or the next one to the south west. It's a few years since I've been and never looked at it from above before. I used to park in the small car park, slightly to the north west of that reference, it is accessed by a slip road off of the Woodhead.

I have the 'Terrain','Roads' and 'Populated Places' boxes ticked in my "Layers", it shows you the Woodhead Pass (in green) and the trail (in white), you can see where the slip road joins the w/head...

Hope this helps.