View Full Version : Help - Eeek! Fishy smell from our plug socket.

sufc_tom
17-01-2007, 23:13
Cannot be good can it? Will I have to rewire it? Is it a hard job? A new one for me so any help greatly appreciated. Just been telling our lass to put her tongue on it to check see if its live :hihi:

Anyone had a similar experience?

Kthebean
17-01-2007, 23:15
Have you checked for fish?

Wizzzard
17-01-2007, 23:17
Yes we have, Don't use it. It needs to sorted out asap as it is a fault with th wiring I think. Lightbulbs do it sometimes when they are about t go as well. Don't know if it is a fire hazard but best to get it switched off and get an electrician in first thing.

BluePolo
17-01-2007, 23:21
Usually a fishy smell occurs when it is breaking down electrically. Change it sooner rather than later or you could have a fire on your hands (or should that be in your wall?).

Just get a new socket from B&Q or Wickes or wherever. as long as you make sure the wires go to the same place (Red to L, Black to N, & Earth to the open terminal), it's easy. But make sure you tighten the screws - loose screws also cause fires.

Don't forget to turn off the power first!!

artisan
17-01-2007, 23:23
Cannot be good can it? Will I have to rewire it? Is it a hard job? A new one for me so any help greatly appreciated. Just been telling our lass to put her tongue on it to check see if its live :hihi:

Anyone had a similar experience?

Not good news that, the socket and wiring has degraded and is burning out.
Unplug every thing from it, and get someone to look at it for you.
It is not a DIY job, unless you are an electrician.
The cables may have deterioted back into the wall and all sorts

Lindos
17-01-2007, 23:27
The smell probably indicates arking....could be just a loose terminal, but it will burn the socket and cable insulation if unchecked. All the above advice still applies...switch off the power and pull the fuse.

As Artisan said, if the cables are burnt you'll need an electrician.

Note: 'cos it's on a ring circuit electricity passes through it even when it's not in use, so don't leave it.

upinwath
17-01-2007, 23:27
An electrician will charge you a call out and maybe you will need major work.

Not doing anything may just kill you.

Better spend a few quid than your family and friends spending the same buying flowers

BluePolo
17-01-2007, 23:34
If the cables have burnt, you should be able to smell them. the fishy smell is normally smelt before this happens. If you turn off the power, remove the two screws holding the socket to the wall, pull the socket away from the wall and look at the cables, you will see if they are burnt.

If they aren't you don't need an electrician, it's a diy job.

Strix
17-01-2007, 23:36
yup - sounds like the plastic coating on the cable is frying

changing the socket (if that's the case) will not improve the situation

It isn't possible it's got wet at all is it?

You havent had a power surge or a lightning strike have you?

It hasn't been sabbotaged by anybody has it? :suspect:

JoeP
18-01-2007, 00:00
Is it the socket or is it the plug?

You sometimes get this if you've run an electric fire form a socket for a long time with a 'cheap and cheerful' plug. The plug itself overheats and the fishy smell is usually the plastic of the plug or socket cooking.

butchill
18-01-2007, 00:24
the only safe way to this problem is to get a qualified electrican to look at the socket ,DIY will not solve the problem probably make it worse. it will cost but you will live

JoeP
18-01-2007, 00:27
the only safe way to this problem is to get a qualified electrican to look at the socket ,DIY will not solve the problem probably make it worse. it will cost but you will live

Agreed - even if it's the plug that's melted it can sometimes be hard to tell.

Longcol
18-01-2007, 01:49
So that's where you dropped your autographed picture of Colin W***** :hihi:

sufc_tom
18-01-2007, 11:07
Well I have a surge protector plugged into a plug socket and although the stench doesn't seem to be coming from the actual socket and the surge protector, the surge protector still works fine and my girlfriend has just reported to me that quite a while ago she unplugged her straighteners from the socket to be greeted with a great big flash of sparks...Not good!

Also my monitor connected to the surge protector went down yesterday...completely dead. Gonna have to ring Samsung up again now :(

sufc_tom
18-01-2007, 11:08
PS is there any good reliable sparkies on the forum :hihi:

hmr44
18-01-2007, 11:15
We've had a couple of lights do it, it was awful!!!!

sufc_tom
18-01-2007, 14:15
update.

apparently the smell seems to be coming out of the plug socket in the surge protector where the monitor plug has been. Now my monitor is completely dead as said before.

Could it be the original plug provided with the monitor was faulty?

haddockman
19-01-2007, 00:54
Try putting a plug in the socket, not a fish.

fox20thc
19-01-2007, 09:24
DIY will not solve the problem probably make it worse. it will cost but you will live

I thought that it was not allowed any more and you had to get a professional in anyway these days.

artisan
19-01-2007, 10:06
I thought that it was not allowed any more and you had to get a professional in anyway these days.

Only under certain circumstances, and even then it is a very grey area.
It is a case of regulation for regulations sake, the same with CORGI.
If people followed the Regulations we already have in place there would be no need for these regulatory bodies.
A lot of gas and electrical fitters, even though qualified, I would not trust to wipe their backsides properly.
In a lot of cases it is the firm that has the qualification, not the bloke doing the job.

sufc_tom
19-01-2007, 10:33
Try putting a plug in the socket, not a fish.

You sound qualified...when can you come around :hihi: