So ...my car was stolen this morning ,then found, now have to pay £105

hiya was wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with recovery of stolen vehicles.

i had my car stolen early hours of this morning. was found a couple of hours after initial report, just down the road from me.

the car is in complete condition and poses no threat to anyone.

i was not informed the car had been found and it has since been recovered at a cost of £105 to myself.

i have made a complaint as i could have moved it myself within minuites had i been informed.

has anyone successfully recieved a refund from police with regards to similar incident?

any information or help regaurding this matter would be muchly appreciated.

thanks, lisa x

unfortunately the police have to have vehicles recovered. maybe it was left in a dangerous or obstructive position and the police had no choice. they may have also recoevered it to obtain fingerprints in order to try and catch the person that stole your car in the first place.

my son had his car stolen last year , they only took it as far as the next block . the police had it towed straight away . they said they tried to ring us and knock us up . they never tried at all . it cost my son £105 to get it back. the worse thing of all the recovery guys picked his car up with the fork lift and made a right mess if the underneath , there was only lock damage when we saw it at their yard and it cost him a fortune to get it repaired as with him only being young he did not want to go through his insurance. that poor lad was out of pocket for all that money just because the police copuld not be bothered to contact us. :mad:

was it taken to a pound? I think this is a standard charge for recovery of vehicles. I would be surprised if you got the money back, but best of luck anyway. Count yourself lucky that the car was undamaged and that your insurance premium won't be affected.

a few years ago my daugther broke down on the M1 but managed to get the car to the top of the slip road at junction 35 the police had the vehicle towed away within twenty minutes and she was faced with this cost. we proved the vehicle was not parked dangerously and the police did finally waive the fee without any admission of liability.

I think you have to go the same route it all depends where the car was found and was it a danger to other road users or pedestrians if they have had it removed unfairly fight your corner but it will be a uphill battle and they will never admit they have done wrong

just spoke to a lovely lady from police and she is trying to sort the problem out, the car was litarally a couple of min walk away and NOBODY contacted me i could have removed it within 15 mins-half an hour at most, probably sooner than the recovery.

i would fully understand if the car was a risk to anyone but it was parked safetly and posed no harm whatsoever. infact less of a risk than the next car cos if a thief tried to nick it again ...it wont start hehe(this was why it was left in the first place)

can i ask you buchill did you pay then get a refund or did they sort it without you parting with any cash?

just spoke to a lovely lady from police and she is trying to sort the problem out, the car was litarally a couple of min walk away and NOBODY contacted me i could have removed it within 15 mins-half an hour at most, probably sooner than the recovery.

i would fully understand if the car was a risk to anyone but it was parked safetly and posed no harm whatsoever. infact less of a risk than the next car cos if a thief tried to nick it again ...it wont start hehe(this was why it was left in the first place)

can i ask you buchill did you pay then get a refund or did they sort it without you parting with any cash?

no cash just sorted like it seems you are having done I would advise get it out of pound as quickly as possible

the police should in form you as soon as its found you have a chance to move it yourself......im sure they must profit from it in some way

have you asked your insurance company to pay this - check with them some do pay for this

insurance will pay for it, but as the car isnt worth that much and i have to stand to first 100 its not really worth me claiming.

your right pauly police must get something out of recovery. as i said the car was in safe condition and because i live so close could quite easily have recovered it myself really quickly!

just had a really cruddy day today be glad when its over....hopefully more luck tomorrow when i get response from police reguarding refund/waived charges for recovery.

fingers crossed please everyone x

the police should in form you as soon as its found you have a chance to move it yourself......im sure they must profit from it in some way

The Police don't get anything from the recovery of the vehicle it is a statuory fee that recovery companies charge to cover their costs.

Stolen vehicles are recovered so that scenes of crime officers can examine it for prints. Your vehicle is taken to a covered compound where it is out of the way of the natural weather elements. If you were to have the vehicle recovered yourself it is unlikely scenes of crime would attend as all value to them would be lost.

Whereabouts do you live, freyas mum? Just the general area. I was sure you said Heeley a while ago on something? bev2 says a car was nicked and dumped nearby and she's in Gleadless (same area I'm thinking of). I'm detecting a pattern now - cars being nicked and then dumped very close to where they were nicked from. If it's nowhere near then no worries, I'm just getting paranoid! :thumbsup:

Anyhow, the cash doesn't go to the cops, it goes to the recovery company. You can sometimes get it back off insurance, or you could try to do a deal with the recovery guys?