View Full Version : So ...my car was stolen this morning ,then found, now have to pay £105

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 19:06
hiya was wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with recovery of stolen vehicles.

i had my car stolen early hours of this morning. was found a couple of hours after initial report, just down the road from me.

the car is in complete condition and poses no threat to anyone.

i was not informed the car had been found and it has since been recovered at a cost of £105 to myself.

i have made a complaint as i could have moved it myself within minuites had i been informed.

has anyone successfully recieved a refund from police with regards to similar incident?

any information or help regaurding this matter would be muchly appreciated.

thanks, lisa x

troubledjoe
16-01-2007, 19:13
unfortunately the police have to have vehicles recovered. maybe it was left in a dangerous or obstructive position and the police had no choice. they may have also recoevered it to obtain fingerprints in order to try and catch the person that stole your car in the first place.

bev2
16-01-2007, 19:13
my son had his car stolen last year , they only took it as far as the next block . the police had it towed straight away . they said they tried to ring us and knock us up . they never tried at all . it cost my son £105 to get it back. the worse thing of all the recovery guys picked his car up with the fork lift and made a right mess if the underneath , there was only lock damage when we saw it at their yard and it cost him a fortune to get it repaired as with him only being young he did not want to go through his insurance. that poor lad was out of pocket for all that money just because the police copuld not be bothered to contact us. :mad:

LordChaverly
16-01-2007, 19:14
was it taken to a pound? I think this is a standard charge for recovery of vehicles. I would be surprised if you got the money back, but best of luck anyway. Count yourself lucky that the car was undamaged and that your insurance premium won't be affected.

butchill
16-01-2007, 19:19
a few years ago my daugther broke down on the M1 but managed to get the car to the top of the slip road at junction 35 the police had the vehicle towed away within twenty minutes and she was faced with this cost. we proved the vehicle was not parked dangerously and the police did finally waive the fee without any admission of liability.

I think you have to go the same route it all depends where the car was found and was it a danger to other road users or pedestrians if they have had it removed unfairly fight your corner but it will be a uphill battle and they will never admit they have done wrong

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 19:29
just spoke to a lovely lady from police and she is trying to sort the problem out, the car was litarally a couple of min walk away and NOBODY contacted me i could have removed it within 15 mins-half an hour at most, probably sooner than the recovery.

i would fully understand if the car was a risk to anyone but it was parked safetly and posed no harm whatsoever. infact less of a risk than the next car cos if a thief tried to nick it again ...it wont start hehe(this was why it was left in the first place)

can i ask you buchill did you pay then get a refund or did they sort it without you parting with any cash?

butchill
16-01-2007, 19:33
just spoke to a lovely lady from police and she is trying to sort the problem out, the car was litarally a couple of min walk away and NOBODY contacted me i could have removed it within 15 mins-half an hour at most, probably sooner than the recovery.

i would fully understand if the car was a risk to anyone but it was parked safetly and posed no harm whatsoever. infact less of a risk than the next car cos if a thief tried to nick it again ...it wont start hehe(this was why it was left in the first place)

can i ask you buchill did you pay then get a refund or did they sort it without you parting with any cash?

no cash just sorted like it seems you are having done I would advise get it out of pound as quickly as possible

pauly1664
16-01-2007, 20:09
the police should in form you as soon as its found you have a chance to move it yourself......im sure they must profit from it in some way

joanne5600
16-01-2007, 20:14
have you asked your insurance company to pay this - check with them some do pay for this

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 20:22
insurance will pay for it, but as the car isnt worth that much and i have to stand to first 100 its not really worth me claiming.

your right pauly police must get something out of recovery. as i said the car was in safe condition and because i live so close could quite easily have recovered it myself really quickly!

just had a really cruddy day today be glad when its over....hopefully more luck tomorrow when i get response from police reguarding refund/waived charges for recovery.

fingers crossed please everyone x

Wizzzard
16-01-2007, 20:26
the police should in form you as soon as its found you have a chance to move it yourself......im sure they must profit from it in some way

The Police don't get anything from the recovery of the vehicle it is a statuory fee that recovery companies charge to cover their costs.
Stolen vehicles are recovered so that scenes of crime officers can examine it for prints. Your vehicle is taken to a covered compound where it is out of the way of the natural weather elements. If you were to have the vehicle recovered yourself it is unlikely scenes of crime would attend as all value to them would be lost.

Mathom
16-01-2007, 20:35
Whereabouts do you live, freyas mum? Just the general area. I was sure you said Heeley a while ago on something? bev2 says a car was nicked and dumped nearby and she's in Gleadless (same area I'm thinking of). I'm detecting a pattern now - cars being nicked and then dumped very close to where they were nicked from. If it's nowhere near then no worries, I'm just getting paranoid! :thumbsup:

Anyhow, the cash doesn't go to the cops, it goes to the recovery company. You can sometimes get it back off insurance, or you could try to do a deal with the recovery guys?

pitsmoorboy
16-01-2007, 20:51
they may have also recoevered it to obtain fingerprints in order to try and catch the person that stole your car in the first place.

Fell off my chair laughing at that.

Wizzzard
16-01-2007, 20:58
Fell off my chair laughing at that.

I'm sure then that if your car ever got stolen you would tell the Police not to bother looking for evidence as they probably wouldn't catch anyone?

PXOWL
16-01-2007, 21:05
This outfit recovered my sons bike,which was stolen £105 recovery + £12 a day storage if not collected straight away,the money is carved up 3 ways,woodhead,police & city council.Whitewash.

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 21:15
Whereabouts do you live, freyas mum? Just the general area. I was sure you said Heeley a while ago on something? bev2 says a car was nicked and dumped nearby and she's in Gleadless (same area I'm thinking of). I'm detecting a pattern now - cars being nicked and then dumped very close to where they were nicked from. If it's nowhere near then no worries, I'm just getting paranoid! :thumbsup:

Anyhow, the cash doesn't go to the cops, it goes to the recovery company. You can sometimes get it back off insurance, or you could try to do a deal with the recovery guys?

hiya, im actually on manor....and i have to say other than this i have never had any problems here.
the problem is, they made the wrong choice choosing my car as it is currently out of order :hihi:
they run it down the road trying to bump it, it obviously wouldnt bump so they parked it and left it.

Wizzzard
16-01-2007, 21:17
This outfit recovered my sons bike,which was stolen £105 recovery + £12 a day storage if not collected straight away,the money is carved up 3 ways,woodhead,police & city council.Whitewash.

The Police do NOT get any money from the recovery of the vehicles. and Woodhead motors aren't the only recovery company used. Could you explain why the council would get the money? the council would only get money if it was them recovering the vehicle and that would be to cover their costs.

jan2002
16-01-2007, 21:42
Hi Lisa
I would be very interested in the outcome of this on behalf of both my customers and my company.

While'st I can understand the recovery companies involved charging the fee set down by law on behalf of the police, I can't understand why the fee is set high and you as a victim are forced to pay ( as usually the car is collected before you know its found).

We have had occasions where a customer has been involved in an accident during the day, and had the car removed from the scene by the police even if the vehicle was parked off the highway and causing no obstruction.
(We can usually recover a vehicle in sheffield within 30 mins of the call)

This subject not only affects you the drivers/owners its also affecting smaller independent recovery businesses like ours.

So Lisa..will you post the result of your conversation with the police ...let us know if you get the fee waived ??

Thanks

jan2002

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 22:11
of course i will jan,
just wish they had contacted me to arrange recovery as i would have called on your services.

littlefred
16-01-2007, 22:33
police have to stay with the car until recovered, As stolen cars tends to get restolen quickly, the £105 is standard call out fee as they have to provide a 24hour on call service with tow truck and a secure storage to store the car!
people will be crying even more when police phone you to inform you they find your car, 1 hour later you get there to discover its been stolen again, you will be ranting for years,

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 22:44
there was no police present. someone phoned police to inform them the car was seen in a cul-de-sac and no one could account for it
as i live only 2 mins walk away i could have been there within mins with my neighbour to collect...didnt give me that option even though i asked to be informed on initial phonecall to report the car stolen.
ive not shed a tear over my car...its only material.

kingdon
16-01-2007, 23:00
freyas mum that wasnt direct at you but in general,
A police has to be present to check the car details before it can be taken away!

butchill
16-01-2007, 23:02
freyas mum that wasnt direct at you but in general,
A police has to be present to check the car details before it can be taken away!

you have not got a clue what you are talking about

Ade65
16-01-2007, 23:03
Hi,

When people are complaining over these costs, do they consider that it's still a damn site cheaper than buying a new car?

Ade

yummyyumyum
16-01-2007, 23:23
as i have already stated, no police were present at time of recovery. a phone call was made by someone who suspected the car was stolen and police then contacted recovery firm to recover vehicle. at no point before or after sorting recovery did anyone contact me to say the vehicle had found and to ask how i would like the vehicle removed from where it was found.
im not complaining about the costs as such...more that i had no choice about who recovered the car and the fact that where tha car had been found was closer to me than the recovery company police used.

SAJSHEFF
17-01-2007, 00:27
Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your car.

Iíve personally havenít experienced police recovery but have come across a lot of people who have been in similar scenario.

Have they released your car now? Or is it still in the compound.

If the car has been released and you got it then you could easily dispute the recovery charge on the grounds you stated. The charge is between you and the recovery company and if you dispute it then the recovery company will have to pursue matter further, perhaps take you to court etc. But in many cases they will not because itís not financially viable for them to take this route. Even if they did you could easily have an argument especially on the rate of charge and instructions to them.

The recovery companies normally donít release the vehicles until fees are paid upfront plus they expect you to present their charges to your insurance company.

Good luck

Sajid

waldershelf
17-01-2007, 08:01
I'm sure then that if your car ever got stolen you would tell the Police not to bother looking for evidence as they probably wouldn't catch anyone?
The police do not as a matter of routine do finger print checks or any other forensic evidence gathering from stolen/recovered cars hence the LOL

Wizzzard
17-01-2007, 08:35
The police do not as a matter of routine do finger print checks or any other forensic evidence gathering from stolen/recovered cars hence the LOL

Yes they do. Every stolen vehicle, when found, is recovered for scenes of crime unless the officer in charge does not think there is anything to gain by scenes of crime examining it.

Twiglet
17-01-2007, 08:39
unless the officer in charge does not think there is anything to gain by scenes of crime examining it.

Which is the key phrase. Very few stolen cars are examined for forensic evidence, as are very few houses that have been broken into. 'Volume crime' is exactly that - there are very few SOCO's and not enough hours in the day to go to even half the cases that come in.

troubledjoe
17-01-2007, 09:04
to my knowledge they attend the majority

waldershelf
17-01-2007, 09:07
Which is the key phrase. Very few stolen cars are examined for forensic evidence, as are very few houses that have been broken into. 'Volume crime' is exactly that - there are very few SOCO's and not enough hours in the day to go to even half the cases that come in.

I've had two cars stolen and been burgled and all I got from the police each time was sympathy and a crime number for the insurance, no actual police work.

Wizzzard
17-01-2007, 09:08
I disagree.The Majority of stolen vehicles that are asked to be examined will get done. Police officers have nothing to gain by trying not to get the vehicle examined as it is not them who has to take on the workload. SOC Are a busy department just like everyone else within the police so it is understandable that they might be a bit stretched sometimes but they will still examine a vehicle if it needs doing. As for the houses It's actually rare that SOC do Not attend residential burglaries as opposed to the other way round. Contrary to popular belief the majority of police do want to catch criminals and will use every available resource to do so, including SOC.

troubledjoe
17-01-2007, 09:09
no actual police work? do you know exactly what enquiries the police carried out before the informed you that they couldnt take it any further please?

Ousetunes
17-01-2007, 09:29
As usual it's the same old scenario of the victim having to pay out whilst the brain-dead scum of the earth who took the car gets away with it.

And who in their right mind would bother their insurance company? a) there'll be the usual rip-off of an 'excess' to pay; b) you'll damage your no claims bonus. Easier to fork out the £105 from your own pocket.

Society, well and truly caters for the criminal whilst the victims - you and I - are simply expected to shell out yet more money.

Must add, that the only time justice seems to be done is when these numb-skulls steal cars and end up smashing both the vehicle and themselves up. (I just wish the medical profession would leave the ******** lying in the road.)

Lucy-Lastic
17-01-2007, 09:35
Yes they do. Every stolen vehicle, when found, is recovered for scenes of crime unless the officer in charge does not think there is anything to gain by scenes of crime examining it.

When mine was stolen it most definitely wasnt examined by the police!

Wizzzard
17-01-2007, 09:54
When mine was stolen it most definitely wasnt examined by the police!

Care to share any more details with us?

mode1966
17-01-2007, 10:13
it just sounds like another money making scam just like wheel clampers but they will be able to get away with it , i wouldn,t pay my council tax for two months until you get the money back

LordChaverly
17-01-2007, 10:21
The last time mine was nicked it was recovered in another city, which I had to travel to recover it. The inside had been smashed up, but it was just about driveable. The police did examine it and recovered DNA. They sent me a note some time later saying that the culprit had been caught and had admitted the offence.

It was stll an expensive business for me though (travel costs to another city, cost of recovery, excess charge on insurance, effect on premium etc).

I have had two cars nicked and both were found in different cities (the first time in Oxford!).

troubledjoe
17-01-2007, 10:27
The last time mine was nicked it was recovered in another city, which I had to travel to recover it. The inside had been smashed up, but it was just about driveable. The police did examine it and recovered DNA. They sent me a note some time later saying that the culprit had been caught and had admitted the offence.

It was stll an expensive business for me though (travel costs to another city, cost of recovery, excess charge on insurance, effect on premium etc).

I have had two cars nicked and both were found in different cities (the first time in Oxford!).

but at least the police caguht them and you have proven to other people here that the police do forensic checks on stolen vehicles.

BoroughGal
17-01-2007, 10:35

I appreciate that you're a forensic analyst (or similar) but that doesn't mean you know the policies and procedures of SOC within South Yorkshire Police. SOC attend EVERY burglary and see THE MAJORITY of recovered stolen vehicles, hence them being recovered to get them out of the elements and provide some value for SOC. You're misunderstanding the role of Volume Crime. They have nothing to do with fingerprinting/SOC exams.

And to clarify other points made. The police no longer have to stand by found stolen vehicles awaiting recovery. Recovery can be jacked up without the need for an officer even attending (thus leaving them free for other incidents). The police don't make money on recovery of vehicles. The costs are from the recovery agents because they don't work/store vehicles for free. The costs can be recovered from your insurance companies. And the police are not the ones to inform owners of their vehicle being stolen, it's down to the recovery agents (although the police may sometimes do this).

LordChaverly
17-01-2007, 10:39
but at least the police caguht them and you have proven to other people here that the police do forensic checks on stolen vehicles.

It may have been because they found blood on the wheel (which certainly wasn't mine). The assumption was that the thief can cut himself when breaking into the ignition system in order to start it. Stupidly, he had also left a pair of sunglasses in the vehicle! So my experience may not be typical.

troubledjoe
17-01-2007, 10:44
It may have been because they found blood on the wheel (which certainly wasn't mine). The assumption was that the thief can cut himself when breaking into the ignition system in order to start it. Stupidly, he had also left a pair of sunglasses in the vehicle! So my experience may not be typical.

:( i would say that the police do more forensic checks than they dont... if that makes sense. sadly a lot of the mcome back with nothing though

Twiglet
17-01-2007, 10:47
You're misunderstanding the role of Volume Crime. They have nothing to do with fingerprinting/SOC exams.

I can't say I understand this, I was referring to volume crime as a classification i.e. vehicle thefts and burglaries, not a specific department or section.

SYP are clearly very different to the two forces I work with. If their SOC unit are attending every burglary and the majority of vehicle thefts they are achieving a lot more than the majority of forces in this country.

Twiglet
17-01-2007, 10:51
:( i would say that the police do more forensic checks than they dont... if that makes sense. sadly a lot of the mcome back with nothing though

Which is used as a common excuse by my particular force. I posted on here a while back about a friend who was viciously assaulted by a random pair of men. She managed to retain an item belonging to the offender. The police refused to swab it for DNA because 'they had no funds left for DNA testing in the budget'. They didn't take a statement for a week, and no photographer was 'available' to document the injuries for 6 days.

BoroughGal
17-01-2007, 10:52
I can't say I understand this, I was referring to volume crime as a classification i.e. vehicle thefts and burglaries, not a specific department or section.

Fair enough, sorry, it is a department in SYP. My misunderstanding.

SYP are clearly very different to the two forces I work with. If their SOC unit are attending every burglary and the majority of vehicle thefts they are achieving a lot more than the majority of forces in this country.

That's a good thing then, innit, cos I speak the truth....! :)

Twiglet
17-01-2007, 10:56
That's a good thing then, innit, cos I speak the truth....! :)

Sorry, yes wasn't disputing you!. Maybe I should move back to Sheffield they sound a lot more organised than they are around here!. :)

SaveFerris
17-01-2007, 12:17
Just one point, which goes to littlefred's earlier comment too.

Not justifying the charge, but having had this happen to me, in terms of the removal there is a good reason why alot of stolen cars turn up shortly afterwards just round the corner - trackers.

What the thieves do is nick the car park it a couple of streets away and leave it for say 24 hours. If it's got a tracker it will be gone when they return, if not they drive off fairly safe in the knowledge that they can't be tracked.

That being so there is often a very short window of opportunity to get the car secured once it is found before it disappears again, and whilst I agree the police should certianly try and contact the owner, if they can't then I think they've got little option but to secure it themselves whether or not it is parked legally/illegally or not.

waldershelf
17-01-2007, 13:11
no actual police work? do you know exactly what enquiries the police carried out before the informed you that they couldnt take it any further please?

Officer turns up (two days after the event in one case) and says oh dear you have been burgled/cars been nicked, collects details of stolen items and leaves after giving me a telephone number to ring to get a crime number. The end. no further contact and I suspect no further action, if any of my goods had been found? I might have got them back but I honestly believe no further action other than administration is carried out on routine aquisitive crimes like these. The police chase the criminals and when they catch them any/some recovered property is returned to the rightful owner but thats not the same as investigating individual crimes.
Please don't misunderstand me I am not criticising the police they do dificult job in impossible circumstances, I am mearly trying to inject a bit of realism into the debate, its all a matter of targetting resouces and taking up time on aquisitive crime like shoplifting, burglary (non agrevated) and car crime where the chances of catching the perpetrator is low, no ones been injured and insurance cover is in place is not efficient targetting of resources.

BoroughGal
17-01-2007, 13:12
Officer turns up (two days after the event in one case) and says oh dear you have been burgled/cars been nicked, collects details of stolen items and leaves after giving me a telephone number to ring to get a crime number. The end. no further contact and I suspect no further action, if any of my goods had been found? I might have got them back but I honestly believe no further action other than administration is carried out on routine aquisitive crimes like these. The police chase the criminals and when they catch them any/some recovered property is returned to the rightful owner but thats not the same as investigating individual crimes.
Please don't misunderstand me I am not criticising the police they do dificult job in impossible circumstances, I am mearly trying to inject a bit of realism into the debate, its all a matter of targetting resouces and taking up time on aquisitive crime like shoplifting, burglary (non agrevated) and car crime where the chances of catching the perpetrator is low, no ones been injured and insurance cover is in place is not efficient targetting of resources.

Can I just ask you when this happened, and if it happened in South Yorkshire?

waldershelf
17-01-2007, 13:19
Can I just ask you when this happened, and if it happened in South Yorkshire?
It is a while ago (10 years?) and yes it was in south yorkshire

ArtfulDodger
17-01-2007, 14:29

Probably nicking parents on the school run!!

A joke, but I couldn't resist.

BoroughGal
17-01-2007, 16:35
It is a while ago (10 years?) and yes it was in south yorkshire

I'm not downplaying how rubbish this was for you, but times do move on - what happened to you wouldn't happen today :) .

fredsredhat
20-01-2007, 19:41
Sorry to hear about your car Lisa. If you need a hand putting it right you know where to get me.

my son had his car stolen last year , they only took it as far as the next block . the police had it towed straight away . the worse thing of all the recovery guys picked his car up with the fork lift and made a right mess if the underneath , there was only lock damage when we saw it at their yard and it cost him a fortune to get it repaired as with him only being young he did not want to go through his insurance. that poor lad was out of pocket for all that money just because the police copuld not be bothered to contact us. :mad:

A little off topic but a friend of mine had an accident, run someone over and the bloke died. It was proved in court he was in no way at fault. His car was taken for forensic investigation and they tore his car to bits. Loads of dents, scratches and broken trim etc. didnt put nothing back and didnt care. He ended up losing thousands on the value cos (understandably) he didnt want to drive it anymore so his family sold it as was.

troubledjoe
20-01-2007, 19:44
Sorry to hear about your car Lisa. If you need a hand putting it right you know where to get me.

A little off topic but a friend of mine had an accident, run someone over and the bloke died. It was proved in court he was in no way at fault. His car was taken for forensic investigation and they tore his car to bits. Loads of dents, scratches and broken trim etc. didnt put nothing back and didnt care. He ended up losing thousands on the value cos (understandably) he didnt want to drive it anymore so his family sold it as was.

ulimately he killed somebody, i think its quite reasonable to examine the car in detail to see if it was defective in any way. i am sure you would expect the same if somebody you knew was killed by a motorist

nightwish
20-01-2007, 20:21
police have to stay with the car until recovered, As stolen cars tends to get restolen quickly, the £105 is standard call out fee as they have to provide a 24hour on call service with tow truck and a secure storage to store the car!
people will be crying even more when police phone you to inform you they find your car, 1 hour later you get there to discover its been stolen again, you will be ranting for years,

My car was stolen and set on fire and the police where going to tow it away
as I was on the scene at the time I refused to let them do this as I had my own cover. They where not happy at all I think they must be making money out of this as why get annoyed when i said I would sort it? This was not as if they had to stay on site the car was totally burned out and I was present.

fredsredhat
20-01-2007, 20:43
ulimately he killed somebody, i think its quite reasonable to examine the car in detail to see if it was defective in any way. i am sure you would expect the same if somebody you knew was killed by a motorist

yeah i dont deny there was the upmost right to examine the car. but to leave it in such a poor state that devalued it by so much, when it was proved in a court of law he was in no way at all in fault....

FORE
20-01-2007, 21:36
The costs can be recovered from your insurance companies.

Only when 'fully comp' I believe.

Police offered tow away help after my lad had a bump a few years ago. He was going to contact me, but as they said claim on insurance he let it go ahead.

£185 - Woodhead Motors (THERE'S A SHOCK!!) - the bloody car was not worth that!

HThorpe
21-01-2007, 11:12
We disturbed a couple of idiots trying to steal my next door neighbours car on Friday night,they ran away when my OH shouted at them but one of them had cut his hand breaking into the car and got his blood all over the steering wheel,the police caught them and came and towed the car away as evidence,possibly in this case it would be £105 well spent as the little scumbags will hopefully be put away for it now.

yummyyumyum
21-01-2007, 11:27
We disturbed a couple of idiots trying to steal my next door neighbours car on Friday night,they ran away when my OH shouted at them but one of them had cut his hand breaking into the car and got his blood all over the steering wheel,the police caught them and came and towed the car away as evidence,possibly in this case it would be £105 well spent as the little scumbags will hopefully be put away for it now.

as the car was taken purely for scenes of crime there should be no charge to the car owner.
as much as i would like to believe it i dont think the potential thief will get more than a slap on the wrist:(