View Full Version : How do I become a Moderator?

1Man&hisBMW
27-09-2004, 04:36
For you expert mods out there, how do i become a mod :)

answers on a ....erm...reply thingy please :)

Rich
27-09-2004, 08:20
Just PM Geoff and say "giz a job" :D

DaBouncer
27-09-2004, 08:32
Moderators are requested - not by people offering themselves for the role.

I'm not sure as to the exact criteria Geoff looks for, but I think it's not based on solely his own decision. He'll probably get the opinions of all the moderators before he decides if someone is to be made a mod.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to put yourself forward as a volunteer (provided your motives are not selfish :P ).

If you REALLY want to do it - good luck with it.
However I'd say it's better to email Geoff and ask rather than start a thread.

Just my 2 penneth worth!

Martin_s
27-09-2004, 12:13
First you need to remove any hopes of glory or power...

... then get used to people complaining when you do do something and also when you don't...

You don't need to be insane but it helps... :)

.. any moderators see this as detrimental or spot on? ;)

max
27-09-2004, 12:56
Originally posted by Martin_s
First you need to remove any hopes of glory or power...

... then get used to people complaining when you do do something and also when you don't...

You don't need to be insane but it helps... :)

.. any moderators see this as detrimental or spot on? ;)

Sorry, I'd like to comment but I'll only get flamed for abusing my position as moderator. ;)

Martin_s
27-09-2004, 12:59
Originally posted by max
Sorry, I'd like to comment but I'll only get flamed for abusing my position as moderator. ;)
Call yourself a moderator? Sheesh.. I've seen damp lettuce leaves with more backbone... :D

Oh the fun we could have with [moderated]...

The management would like to apologise for any untoward comments made about the moderating team and you can put the gun down now Max ;)

max
27-09-2004, 13:10
Originally posted by Martin_s
Call yourself a moderator? Sheesh.. I've seen damp lettuce leaves with more backbone... :D

Yes, and just like this thread damp lettuces attract slugs.

Note: This is a personal view and should not be taken to be an official forum position.

Martin_s
27-09-2004, 13:13
Originally posted by max
Yes, and just like this thread damp lettuces attract slugs.
Ouch... touche... slugs != snails... even the web kind...

Oops... are we drifting off topic here... :suspect:

Phanerothyme
27-09-2004, 14:25
Do you want to be a mod 1Man?

What happens is that Geoff asks you and you say no, because you have a life thanks.

Then he keeps asking you until you give in out of sheer guilt for using the forum, but not helping in its administration (without which it would just become flame city).

I'm a bad mod, because I rarely open a thread that doesn't interest me, and I rely on the reported posts and other moderators posts to keep me informed.

If you have a lot of time on your hands and would like to help the forum stay relatively flame free, then by all means volunteer - I'm sure Geoff will be chuffed.

coopster1974
27-09-2004, 15:02
You also have to post the little smilies of someone twisting their finger round their temple to insinuate a useless post, see Sidla's posts for good examples.

max
27-09-2004, 15:04
Originally posted by coopster1974
You also have to post the little smilies of someone twisting their finger round their temple to insinuate a useless post, see Sidla's posts for good examples.

You don't have to be a mod to do that, just respond to a useless post. :thumbsup:

How's it go? You don't have to be a mod to work here but it helps. :hihi:

coopster1974
27-09-2004, 15:09
But how can you take a moderator seriously if they are on a mission to make someone look as though they are retarded which is what that gesture means?

By all means inject various points of view but my view of forums is not to make a thread more than it is by infuriating people with sarcastic comments or smilies. That goes for everyone, not just mods. My post above is exactly what I mean.

Am I wrong?

nomme
27-09-2004, 15:20
I've already said how I became one here (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?postid=133772#post133772)

Nomme

Tony
28-09-2004, 06:44
The first question you will get asked is if you have the appropriate qualifications. It takes years at University to become qualified. It's a well known fact that it takes longer to become a Mod than a doctor.

RPG
28-09-2004, 23:25
I only just saw this thread :lol: I'll add my two pennth'

Geoff has some sort of elephant crossed with a Casio calculator (circa 1989) which picks members at random to be the "chosen ones". When Phan's name came up several times over we all got a bit suspect... It was only after phan finally gave in we found the words "phan woz 'ere 1990" tattoo'd on the inside of the poor thing.

Now if you wanted to become a rocker.. then thats easy ;)

1Man&hisBMW
29-09-2004, 04:48
Thanks for the response all!

Hmm, I dunno i just wonder if I have the right skills to be a Mod.
I might just PM Geoff and ask!

mr.blaze
07-10-2004, 00:55
Why exactly do you want to be a mod may I ask? To help the community and make the place better for everyone? If so you'll be great!

If not you'll be bored senseless lol.

coggy
07-10-2004, 17:36
I recommend 1 man as a Mod :thumbsup: ive met him a couple of times now and he is a great lad, gets my vote :clap:

nomme
15-02-2005, 13:18
Since Geoff closed the thread started by JonJparr I thought I'd just bump this. :D

Nomme

cgksheff
15-02-2005, 13:59
Does that mean that Geoff didn't search before he replied?

Geoff
15-02-2005, 14:06
I wasn't the thread starter - they are meant to search before starting a topic. But nice try ;)

Clooosing - see other post in General Chat.

PS. Nomme you trouble making renegade :)