Sign in to follow this  

Britain back into tennis obscurity

Austria defeated Great Britain in the Davis cup which means that Britain will miss out on promotion to the Davis cup world group.

Stefan Koubek ranked 81 in the world of Austria wiped the floor with both Rusedski and Henman ensuring Austria victory.

So, what does this mean for British Tennis?

Perhaps we will have to look forward to Britain's Andrew Murray developing into the next big thing.

By the looks of it he has a good pedigree.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/us_open_2004/3650264.stm

Originally posted by Lickszz

Perhaps we will have to look forward to Britain's Andrew Murray developing into the next big thing.

What happened to that guy from Sheffield that did well in the early rounds of Wimbledon and put up a fight against Hewitt (I think)??

Spose the strength in depth thing is the real issue - but maybe Bates should have put sum faith in the young 'uns to play the doubles match (as henman/rusedski lost anyway) which would have meant Rusedski getting some rest for the final match - as koubek (sp?) did.

Originally posted by t020

What happened to that guy from Sheffield that did well in the early rounds of Wimbledon and put up a fight against Hewitt (I think)??

Jonathon Marray is still kicking about somewhere. Although he was making reasonable progress through the rankings I would not consider him the saviour of British tennis.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Jonathon Marray is still kicking about somewhere. Although he was making reasonable progress through the rankings I would not consider him the saviour of British tennis.

Marray and Murray would be a lot more confusing then Henman and Rusedski... :gag: