Bad weather & Inappropriate Clothing.

I recently had a conversation with a friend who worked at the Pen y Pass youth Hostel in Wales, she told me a story about 4 walkers that had to be rescued by an RAF helicopter whilst trying to ascend the Crib Goch ridge on Snowden.

The wind speeds were so high that the helicopter had to land in the valley at frequent intervals in the hope that the wind would decrease, nevertheless they had to press on with the search – otherwise the walkers simply would not survive the night.

Thanks to the persistence of the RAF, they were finally found and airlifted back to the hostel. The two men were wearing Tee shirts, shorts & trainers & the two women of the rescued party were wearing skirts and their footwear consisted of shoes with stiletto heels!!!

Apparently the hostel manager informed them (repeatedly and at a very loud volume) that he had never seen anything so impressively stupid in all the last 30 years and they should think themselves lucky to be alive.

And yet, I see poorly equipped individuals like this (minus the stilettos) on the likes of Kindar Scout almost every time I’m up there. Is this Darwinism in action?

Is this Darwinism in action?

I certainly hope so, we need to rid the world of the stupid:hihi:

its a shame they were rescued really!:rolleyes:

Never heard anything as stupid as stilletos but frequently used to see people in jeans and trainers and they would have a hard time when soaked!

I always found it amusing though to see a shepherd nimbly negotiating the hills in tweeds when I was in fleece and gortex. I do wish I could put on my walking breeches though, they do seem hopelessly out of fashion now and I hate trouser legs flapping around or cumbersome gaiters!

i've seen them last three weeks on burbage in jeans & trainers - vene white ones.

no common sense some people.

I must admit I'm sometimes guilty of wearing jeans for walks... :blush: but I do always make sure I have good boots and waterproofs. The wick effect of jeans is horrible - they seem to soak water up from the hems faster than anything. I'm learning my lesson.

I recently saw a bloke walking who seemed to be fully kitted out, until I glanced at his feet and he was wearing those birkenstock-ish sandals - in January! :o

The best two I saw personally was in ‘Bronte country’ - 7 o’clock in the evening and we’d just walked 12 miles over inhospitable bogs.

Having concluded that our bone marrow had frozen due to the wind we stopped for a hot brew & the compulsory Mars Bar when two visions of loveliness appeared wearing shorts and vests that appeared to be made of bacofoil.

If Dulux had done a colour chart for their skin it would have been called something like “Chapped Tomato” or “Sunset Hypothermia”

I saw somebody wearing trainers and a cotton jersey hoody, walking a shi tzu on a mountain in Scotland at the beginning of this year :roll: