Advice for a craft newbie!!!

Hi!!!!

Confession: I can't sew! I can manage cross stitch and thats it! I can't even mend clothes!!!!

So what Im wondering is :

are there any websites that can show me what to do?

should i buy a sewing machine??

Im moving house soon and would love to be able to make cushions out of fabric - can i do this by hand? and how?!

any other things that would be handy/decorative for house??

:help:

If you intend to make cushions and other stuff for the house, then you really should have a sewing machine. The hems need to be secure and neat, and unless you're a very good hand-sewer, you're unlikely to get that sewing them by hand. Plus, it'll take you ages.

I'd suggest going to the library and checking out one of the books on sewing, preferably one that's specifically about home furninshings; there are several very good ones, though all will cover the basics.

thanks hecate :)

im going to look at sewing machines on ebay, do you have any idea what i should be looking for???!!!

thanks hecate :)

im going to look at sewing machines on ebay, do you have any idea what i should be looking for???!!!

Do you think that you'll just be interested in using the machine for sewing, and not for decorative purposes like machine embroidery?

If so, I'd buy a good low- to mid-range machine by a decent manufacturer such as Brother. All machines in that price bracket will have similar features. I bought a Brother machine from Dunelm recently and I'm very happy with it.

Features to look our for are a top-loading bobbin (less fiddly than the ones you load at the front), and the ability to alter the basic straight and zig zag stitches to a good range of lengths and widths.

I think LisaH does a fair bit of machine sewing. You could try PMing her, in case she hasn't spotted this thread :) .

HI Weeni,

heres a good link for starting to sew - i've been having a go myself the past few weeks, as my machine has sat in the corner far too long

Here

Hi!!!!

Confession: I can't sew! I can manage cross stitch and thats it! I can't even mend clothes!!!!

So what Im wondering is :

are there any websites that can show me what to do?

should i buy a sewing machine??

Im moving house soon and would love to be able to make cushions out of fabric - can i do this by hand? and how?!

any other things that would be handy/decorative for house??

Do Cole Bros (cannot remember new name) still have a sewing machine area where they demonstrate. You do not have to buy from them but you can

get some good ideas on machines and what they can do.

Do Cole Bros (cannot remember new name) still have a sewing machine area where they demonstrate. You do not have to buy from them but you can

get some good ideas on machines and what they can do.

Yes, John Lewis (ex cole Brothers) do still have a sewing machine area, its on the ground floor if you enter by the main door on Barkers Pool. It's on the right hand side, just before all the wools and knitting/sewing accessories.

I've been thinking of getting back into sewing again as I used to do loads, but since being ill a few years ago, it seems to have taken a back seat!

I bought one of those small sewing machines and i'm crap with it :hihi: the thread either gets knotted or snaps and I can't sew straight lol Good luck, hope you get a good machine :thumbsup:

I have an all singing, all dancing sewing machine and hardly use any of the functions on it. In actual fact, mostly I use the machine my grandmother gave me. It was given to her on her 21st birthday and she is 90 now! Fantastic little hand machine that never gives me any trouble, unlike its modern housemate!