View Full Version : Diesel Picasso won't start...any ideas

Magneteer
03-01-2007, 20:30
I've got a 2.0L HDi Citroen Picasso and the damn thing will just not fire up. The engine turns over ok, but alas, there is not the merest hint of it firing. Is anyone aware of any common problems with Diesel Picassos? Any tips,hints or advice would be most welcome.

Sizza
03-01-2007, 20:33
Has the problem just started with the cold weather? - could be faulty glowplugs

Magneteer
03-01-2007, 20:46
I think if it was glowplugs, it would have been troublesome starting in a morning. When it packed up yesterday evening the engine was warm etc.

Sizza
03-01-2007, 21:05
As diesels dont need a spark to fire - maybe a fuel problem, blocked filter, water in filter, dicky pump?.... a few guesses

1Man&hisBMW
03-01-2007, 21:20
Put a tin of paint in it - its just missing its artistic roots:D

hitman
03-01-2007, 22:49
I've got a 2.0L HDi Citroen Picasso and the damn thing will just not fire up. The engine turns over ok, but alas, there is not the merest hint of it firing. Is anyone aware of any common problems with Diesel Picassos? Any tips,hints or advice would be most welcome.they suffer from the intank pump packing up but best get it checked out first as they are very expensive to replace:thumbsup: ,just a thought is cambelt ok as u say it packed up?

samcdcd
04-01-2007, 01:44
if the cambelt had gone it wouldnt turn over silly moo. i know whats up wi it cost u though.

willman
04-01-2007, 08:50
you've not put petrol in it by any chance have you.

alternate find the fuel inlet pipe to the engine and squirt a bit of brake release spray in, should start if its a fuel problem.

hitman
04-01-2007, 20:57
if the cambelt had gone it wouldnt turn over silly moo. i know whats up wi it cost u though.if cambelt had gone it would still turn over but it would turn very quick if pistons contacted valves when belt broke as there would be no compression,or if no contact it would just spin over and not fire:thumbsup:

Marky543
04-01-2007, 21:53
if cambelt had gone it would still turn over but it would turn very quick if pistons contacted valves when belt broke as there would be no compression,or if no contact it would just spin over and not fire:thumbsup:

Hitman is spot on here.

Another problem could be the fuel cutoff solenoid not working. Sounds like you need to give the garage a call.

scarby
04-01-2007, 23:43
Me brother had a similar problem with his Picasso (When he had it)

It was the cheap diesel he bought that caused it. :rolleyes:

donkey
05-01-2007, 00:42
Have you run out of or very low on fuel recently? Could be muck in the pipes.
Is there a manual fuel pump, if so, try bleeding it up to the top of the fuel filter. It's more than likely to be some problem with the fuel system.

waldershelf
05-01-2007, 08:24
Theres a big red button under the bonnet at the left hand side I think under the windscreen, that resets the fuel cut off switch you could try pressing that. Knowing full well just how weired these cars electrics are having owned one for nearly three years it could be anything?

Magneteer
05-01-2007, 13:39
It looks like the low pressure fuel pump located somewhere in the tank is the prime suspect, so this afternoon we'll be putting the car on axle stands, dropping the tank and checking the little blighter out. Will post my findings later just in case anyone else may find it useful. Thanks all for your help so far.

hitman
05-01-2007, 23:22
It looks like the low pressure fuel pump located somewhere in the tank is the prime suspect, so this afternoon we'll be putting the car on axle stands, dropping the tank and checking the little blighter out. Will post my findings later just in case anyone else may find it useful. Thanks all for your help so far.:thumbsup:

hitman
05-01-2007, 23:25
cant remember but there may be an access point to the intank pump under rear seat or in boot,might save u some hassle:thumbsup:

Magneteer
06-01-2007, 20:38
I haven't seen an access panel anywhere as yet, but if anyone knows of one let me know please.
B.T.W. well done Hitman with the diagnosis!

janbella
12-01-2007, 20:25
I haven't seen an access panel anywhere as yet, but if anyone knows of one let me know please.
B.T.W. well done Hitman with the diagnosis!
didu find how to access the tank. could u let me know how u got on with the problem as i am having the same problem with my picasso.

Magneteer
12-01-2007, 21:14
It was inded the low pressure fuel pump, which is fitted inside the fuel tank. The easiest way to prove it, is to disconnect the fuel inlet pipe at the filter at the front of the engine and then turn the engine over. Obviously, if fuel comes out of the pipe then your problem lies elsewhere. If not, the tank has to be drained, then dropped from the car before the pump unit can be accessed. I finished up taking mine to a trusted local garage and it cost me 200 for the new parts and labour, the pump alone cost about 120. This is rarely a problem with the petrol models, but is common on diesels. Apparently they use the same grade pump for both models even though diesel fuel is much heavier.

big_g
13-01-2007, 23:38
You can also hear the low pressure fuel pump running when you turn the key in the ignition but before you start (or try to start) the car. Makes an (only just) audible humm for a short while.

Glad you got it sorted. I'm sure the fuel pump has been part of a recall in the past as it is a weakness in the diesel.

G

hitman
14-01-2007, 00:43
It was inded the low pressure fuel pump, which is fitted inside the fuel tank. The easiest way to prove it, is to disconnect the fuel inlet pipe at the filter at the front of the engine and then turn the engine over. Obviously, if fuel comes out of the pipe then your problem lies elsewhere. If not, the tank has to be drained, then dropped from the car before the pump unit can be accessed. I finished up taking mine to a trusted local garage and it cost me 200 for the new parts and labour, the pump alone cost about 120. This is rarely a problem with the petrol models, but is common on diesels. Apparently they use the same grade pump for both models even though diesel fuel is much heavier.:thumbsup:

Sizza
14-01-2007, 10:45
You can check if your car is indeed affected by a recall - The AA lists them on their web site - http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp