View Full Version : Labyrinthitis-anyone suffered from this?

MonkeyLover
01-01-2007, 23:36
My hubby has been really poorly over the weekend with Labyrinthitus. I just wondered if anyone else has suffered from this, and how long it took to get over it, and if it re-occurs?

lizzmobile
01-01-2007, 23:38
I had it ages ago and was told by a qualified medical doctor that it's a one-off kinda thing. You usually don't get it again.

Who knows?

Heyesey
01-01-2007, 23:41
Labyrinthitis means "inflammation of the labyrinth" (the bit that controls balance) ... the question is what's causing the inflammation?

By far the most likely culprit is a bacterial infection, and there is no reason for it to re-occur unless by chance you happen to pick up another bacterial infection in the same place. Antibiotics should knock it on the head within a week. I picked this up about ten years ago, the antibiotics had me up and running about within three days, and it's never come back since.

In some rarer cases (and my sister had one) there's actually something physically wrong with the labyrinth, antibiotics will have absolutely no effect, and in her case it took six months for everything to get sorted out.

JoeP
01-01-2007, 23:41
A work mate had this some years ago, and it lasted some weeks. The doctors weren't sure what it was at first and he actually got questioned by the police one day as it affected his balance.

http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=226

Hope these help.

medusa
02-01-2007, 02:56
Labyrinthitis means "inflammation of the labyrinth" (the bit that controls balance) ... the question is what's causing the inflammation?

By far the most likely culprit is a bacterial infection, and there is no reason for it to re-occur unless by chance you happen to pick up another bacterial infection in the same place. Antibiotics should knock it on the head within a week. I picked this up about ten years ago, the antibiotics had me up and running about within three days, and it's never come back since.

In some rarer cases (and my sister had one) there's actually something physically wrong with the labyrinth, antibiotics will have absolutely no effect, and in her case it took six months for everything to get sorted out.

Not so- a couple of years ago, my ex-husband came down with labyrinthitis so I did the dutiful wife bit and took him off to the doctors.

According to our GP, lots of research has been happening into labyrinthitis that follows or accompanies a cold or flu virus- and it has been concluded that for most of the cases the cause is viral, and taking antibiotics makes no difference to the length of time that the patient feels lousy, so they no longer give them.

Some people seem to be prone to getting labyrinthitis in the same way that I'm prone to losing my voice with every cold I get, and the viral infections rarely last more than a week, so that is now one of the guidelines for GPs.

If the patient has had labyrinthitis more than a week, then it's more likely to be a (rarer) bacterial infection and antibiotics are indicated, otherwise all you're likely to receive is a prescription for something like prochlorperazine (Stemetil, or Buccastem if you can't keep anything down) to stop you from feeling sick constantly until it sorts itself out.

At the time of the first occurrence of labyrinthitis, my ex-hubby felt a bit short-changed by our GP when he didn't get antibiotics, but the infection did indeed pass within a week, and the prochlorperazine did make him feel a bit less lousy, although it's really quite sedative (but then- you aren't likely to drive or operate many machines when you're feeling like you could fall off the floor and vomiting your guts up, are you?).

While we were together he had it another few times to a greater or lesser extent after a cold, but once he knew what it was he was a great deal less freaked out by it and just stayed in and stayed calm, rather than going back to our GP- and every time it sorted itself out in a few days.

Unless your husband has had the symptoms for more than a week, I'd just make sure he's as comfortable as he can be, and treat the sickness and disorientation the best you can MonkeyLover.

I hope he feels better soon.

Ginger_Kitty
02-01-2007, 09:45
I had it last year after a cold, it lasted all in all for about 6 weeks, at its most severe i couldn't walk or talk in a straight line! i had no antibiotics but meds to relieve the inflammation in my ears, they worked fiarly well and i just left it to get better.
Its really evil at the time though :(

hels1977
02-01-2007, 13:01
Yes I've had that, it makes you feel incredibly sick and woozy. Not nice at all, I nearly fell off the toilet at one point :o.

All joking aside, it's grim although I'm not sure what caused it. I was prescibed Semetil for it - it sorted itself out in about 10 days. Hope he feels better soon.

Dark Moomin
02-01-2007, 13:15
My sister has just had it, and she was told it was viral.

She was told it generally takes 7-10 days to go, but can last for weeks. She's been prescribed anti vertigo drugs which keep the nasty feelings under control, but she was warned that if the virus hasn't gone then when she stops taking them the symptoms will come back again.

I hope he feels better soon.

If he's really bad it may be worth getting the symptom relieveing drugs from the doc.

MonkeyLover
02-01-2007, 19:40
Thank you to everyone. I am pleased to say he is feeling a lot better, and getting around a bit. He's had the symtom-relieving drugs and they have worked a treat. Hopefully he will be back at work next week!

sufc_tom
02-01-2007, 19:55
wow this is a new one, thanks for advising me. On reading the title of the thread I thought side effects included acting like David Bowie.

savbaby
06-02-2007, 10:31
i have just been diagnosed with this as alomst collapsed at work yesterday. Doctor has given me some tablets and they seem to be easing it already. I have not got a severe case as i can walk about but it comes and goes. It seems i have had this a few weeks without really knowing but i sure explains a few things!

Plain Talker
06-02-2007, 17:03
aww, Sav.. my sympathies, I've had this, a number of times, (the latest episode started on thursday, last week, been on the Stemetil tablets since :gag:)
it really is a horrible condition.

princess01
06-02-2007, 20:15
Once you have it once your prone to have it again, not as bad as the first time, i have had it since i was 13yrs old, it was really bad had it about 4 times since (im 29), i still get it but it only last a few hours, it just puts me of balance for a few hours

Bruno
06-02-2011, 15:17
I went into hospital with this last weekend, CT Scan showed an infection middle ear, MRI scan show sinus, so I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis I'm on antibiotics at min.

Could not stand or walk last Saturday and Sunday and constantly vomited for those 2 days.

One week on and still well off balance can feel pressure in my right ear, it's a very scary thing that makes you feel kind of alone, and that you're outside of everything looking in.

Blondie73
06-02-2011, 15:29
I know of 2 people who have had it.Not as uncommon as some may think:)

PinkJo
06-02-2011, 19:24
I had it when I was about 20. It was awful and I had to lie down for about three weeks as everytime I sat up I vomited. The room would just spin and i felt dizzy all the time. Couldn't eat anything either. I have not had it since.

extaxman
06-02-2011, 20:59
I got it about six months ago. It left me with a very bad case of vertigo (unsteadiness) which I've still got. Had a MRI scan followed by two tests at the Hallamshire, turns out that the balance in my left ear has totally gone. OK when walking in a straight line but cannot turn my head without feeling dizzy, having to use a walking pole to keep me steady.

Lots of stuff about it on the Internet.

Saffy
07-02-2011, 09:08
It's horrible .. you have my total sympathy.

Micky ET
07-02-2011, 12:00
It took the father in law 3 months to get over it and he now declares he dare not fly abroad.

Darth Vader
07-02-2011, 12:49
I know this sounds melodramatic but it came on so quickly, and was so bad, I actually was scared I was having some sort of fatal incident. I was sitting in the chair and I had to lower myself on to the floor. I was holding on to the floor and I couldn't move. I spoke to a Doc on the phone who asked me to make my way up to the GP clinic. It was about 20 mins before I could even move. It's awful. Luckily, it eased after a couple of weeks but someone I know had it about 6 months.

Blondie73
07-02-2011, 13:03
I heard travel sickness drugs may help if symptoms persist?They can make you drowsy though so take at night.

Resident
07-02-2011, 16:39
I was diagnosed with this condition when I was 15. I was put on Stemtil which eased the symptoms but it didn't completely go away. 6 months on my diagnosis was re-evaluated and 'upgraded' to Meiniere's Diease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni%C3%A8re%27s_disease

The symptoms of Meniere's are extremely similar to Labyrinthitis.

crowtrees
07-02-2011, 16:58
I have had it 3 times and the last time was by far the worse and has left me with permanent damage. The vast majority of people fully revover. It can be bacterial or viral. There is a fantastic website called Dizzy Times with loads of advice. Most GPs do not understand it and often prescribe drugs that can delay recovery.