Sign in to follow this  

Self employed?

Just wondered if there were any other self employed people in need of letting off steam. It can be a lonely little world when you're trying to generate and then do your own work by yourself. I find I take any little problem very personally but the only other people who really understand the concept of allways having work on the brain are other 'own bosses'.

so if anyone else gets like this :x or :( or even :D or maybe you have :idea: you may do well to share it on the forum and see if there is some other Sheffield person to help you out.

Boy or boy do I know what you mean, after being self employed for 7 years, I know I have become very insular. I recently joined the Sheffield Business Club, although I have only been to one breakfast meeting, it was a joy to realise that out there in Sheffield there are many many small businesses in the same situation. It was also difficult going on my own, but I was made to feel very welcome. I highly recommend it.

I'm trying to find out if anyone in Sheffield is interested in setting up regular networking sessions to bounce ideas around, showcase products and discuss business and Sheffield in general. Let me know what you think. I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers

I have only last Monday become self - employed. I have the support of my family and my husband wants to quit his current job to come work at the shop - but for obvisou reason he can't yet.

It hasn't been too lonely yet though.

Moon Maiden

Hello to you other brave people, don't get me wrong though, if the benefits didn't out way the hard parts I wouldn't be doing it, and I certainly wouldn't be looking into setting up a second venture.(Although sometimes I think I must be slightly mad).

The buisness club sounds interesting, do you have any more details? I too though would be very daunted going on my own, little old me in my jeans. What kind of stuff to you talk about?

Good luck with the shop Moon Maiden, you'll have to tell us where it is and we could all pop in and be among the first of many to buy from you!

The support and networking idea could be pretty good too. My only worries with looking into my new buisness was that if the wrong person latched onto the idea they might come along and do it before me.

Here's a liitle thing for you, the Inland Revenue sent me a form today, I allready filled the same thing out three months ago. When I rang some bloke eventually realised that they hadn't linked my part time work earnings and self employed earings together. Sometimes I can't believe how much fuss and effort goes into tax returns for them to not read all the information. Also this year they owed me money and sent me a form to pay it to them!! not a happy bunny, it took ages untill I actually got it, I should have asked them for interest, they would have.

Also (sorry...rant raant..) business bank acounts, whats all that about, i have one but am begining to think that their sole purposes is to near cripple teeny buisinesses like mine. Does anyone use a personal account and if so did the bank make a fuss?

The shop is called 'The Shades' and I am near Bamforth Street tram stop in Hillsborough, Langsett Road.

Bit different I guess - my shop is magick & occult supplies, has also been classed as new age and gift ware - but I canne see many people buying altar pentacles for their grannie.

Although I am sure buying a broom & cauldron for the mother-in-law may go down well :lol:

Moon Maiden

Guest Guest

"Although I am sure buying a broom & cauldron for the mother-in-law may go down well"

How about a concrete block for her head, i'll be happy to supply?

My workshop is just round the corner and it's my mates birthday soon, hmmm, reckon i'll call in some time soon.

I almost forgot that there are other people out there,

Yeah i've been self employed for 5 years now and i dont know if you agree but i think it's less astle to work for an employer and let someone else have the astle,i think being self employed is a convinience and thats all....well it is for me anyway !!!

I've been self-employed for - dear god - most of the last 30 years. ....