Ideas wanted for clay work

Hi everyone! - I attend an art group each week and after Christmas we are hoping to start work with clay. To be honest, I've never really done much with clay and any ideas on what type of thing to make would be appreciated. Ideally I would like to do something I can use or display - but can't think what to do!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Depending on the experience of the group as a whole, you usually start out making pinch pots (a ball of clay that you stick your thumb into to form a hollow, then gradually pinch out the sides to make a little pot). You can also make coil pots and use plaster moulds to make dishes and plates.

Once you're used to the clay, you can move on to slab work (rolling out the clay to a uniform thickness and assembling it to form pots, boxes and other structures).

The fun bit with the beginner's stuff is the decoration; working with textures, coloured slips, glazes and the like.

Thanks for your reply Hecate. The group is fairly new so the majority of the group is quite inexperienced. I did art for O Level many moons ago so it's all coming back to me as we go along.

Thanks for your reply Hecate. The group is fairly new so the majority of the group is quite inexperienced. I did art for O Level many moons ago so it's all coming back to me as we go along.

You're welcome :) . I started doing pottery as part of a college course back in September. Like you, I hadn't done any formal art since O Level. I'm starting working on the potter's wheel after the Christmas holiday - I can't wait! I hope your course goes well.

Can I just ask you both where you do your courses? Just incase anyone else would be interested in doing one :)

Can I just ask you both where you do your courses? Just incase anyone else would be interested in doing one :)

The group I go to is at St. James Church on Scott Road (Sheff 4). It's on Monday mornings at 9.15 til 11.15am Like I said earlier, it's not been going for long and they are still in the process of getting some funding through, but it's really enjoyable (all women) and quite a relaxed atmosphere. We have a good old natter as well! They are hoping to set up a creche when the funding arrives as well, cause at the moment our little ones are having to be entertained by one of the organisers (also doing art, sticking and painting!) at a table next to us. If anyone wants anymore details, they can PM me if they want. :)

Mine's in Leicestershire, so not much use to most on here.

Depending on the experience of the group as a whole, you usually start out making pinch pots (a ball of clay that you stick your thumb into to form a hollow, then gradually pinch out the sides to make a little pot). You can also make coil pots and use plaster moulds to make dishes and plates.

Once you're used to the clay, you can move on to slab work (rolling out the clay to a uniform thickness and assembling it to form pots, boxes and other structures).

The fun bit with the beginner's stuff is the decoration; working with textures, coloured slips, glazes and the like.

Hi Hecate! You were right, we started out doing the pinch pots! I found that quite easy and I ended up with a lovely little pot (complete with lid!) that I decorated with butterfly beads. I am really pleased with my first effort!

Hi Hecate! You were right, we started out doing the pinch pots! I found that quite easy and I ended up with a lovely little pot (complete with lid!) that I decorated with butterfly beads. I am really pleased with my first effort!

I do like being right :D .

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I moved on to coiling after doing the pinch pots. You can hand-build really quite large pots with coiling (like terracotta garden planters), though I started out coiling on top of a pinch pot base, which makes for a pot about a foot tall.