The end is near for The Yorkshire Grey Pub..

Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Yorkshire Grey be demolished?

• Pull it down
    • Don't pull it down

It was revealed in today's Sheffield Telegraph that the developers plan to compulsory purchase the Yorkshire Grey and demolish it to make way for a multi-storey car park.

This one slipped out quietly whilst everyone is still arguing about the 60's style office block.

Now not only is it a shame to lose such a pub - just a normal pub popular with both students and normal locals, with a nice outdoor drinking area, which we seem to be lacking in this area, but surely a multi storey car park at this location will be a total eye-sore?

So they're trying to keep cars out of the city but decide to build a car park to invite more in?

And the NCP is only just over the road!

All this does seem a bit crazy.It will be a shame to lose the yorkie,its a nice pub,good food as well.

Yet again, Sheffield is going to lose something that is valued by it's residents. I often go to the Yorkie and I would be extremely uspet if the developers get their way by knocking it down and building a multi-storey car park in it's place!!! Why the need for more car parks? If there is genuine need then why don't they develop the old Roxy site and extend the current car park there?! Afterall, it's not like the building is being used!!!!! :evil:

The Roxy is to become a hotel complex - planning permission sorted I believe. It's owned by the same developers that own Wembley. Big plans there for whoever takes it on.

I had enquired about it for a new venue for the Classic Rock Bar. Not available.

I've just read the article. It will be a shame to see the pub go.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

The Roxy is to become a hotel complex - planning permission sorted I believe. It's owned by the same developers that own Wembley. Big plans there for whoever takes it on.

I had enquired about it for a new venue for the Classic Rock Bar. Not available.

............and yet another hotel! Have Sheffield City Council got no imagination when it comes to redeveloping the city centre?! That will be 3 hotels all within a stones throw of each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for change if it will improve the city, but I think the council are desperate for the money and are accepting development opportunities without considering any alternatives.

Just remember that Arundel Gate is a vritually a private road into the Councils own offices - and it's been that way for 30 years. They have 4 storeys of car parking underneath the new Howden House. Why on earth should they do what they want others to do? (that's sarky btw :)

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Same people who own Wembley? I certainly won't hold my breath then, considering the f**k up they've made of that 'development'.

Obviously there's no room in our new 24 hour, 21st century heart of the city for a real pub. Much better to have faceless, lifeless office blocks, hotels and car parks.

We desperatly need three new hotels, so that visitors can come to our city. Except that they won't know what to do when they get here, because that bunch of clowns in the town hall are plotting to close down the visitor information centre.

Come on here, Jan Wilson, and defend yourself.

I get the feeling there is probably more then meets the eye as usual, oops look the poor developers tripped up and just dropped £50k into council coffers .... oh dear!

1Man&HisBMW