View Full Version : PVA Glue: Is it safe to drink?

BrainThrust
13-09-2004, 22:40
Due to a strange conversation I had today, a situation has occurred whereby someone has made a bet.

They have bet that if someone can drink a shot glass of PVA glue, they will buy them lunch for the rest of the week.

I've been thinking about his, though not very seriously today and have come to the following conclusions

1) PVA glue could be drank

2) PVA is non-toxic so it wouldn't kill you

3) PVA is only a form of plastic and i eat/chew plastic all the time anyway

I was just wondering if anyone had any proof to the contrary that you can't physically drink PVA glue?

Wilf

RPG
13-09-2004, 22:41
Yeah wilf, unfortunatly its lethal.. hope you didnt drink any!

BrainThrust
13-09-2004, 22:44
care to give me some proof, dude?

Wilf

mr craig
13-09-2004, 22:45
This is a good question.

Any chance of getting this made a sticky??

BOOM BOOM!!!! :D :D ;) :rolleyes:

RPG
13-09-2004, 22:56
Originally posted by BrainThrust

Wilf

here y'are:

Clicky (http://members.lycos.co.uk/ctrlaltdeluk/pvafordinner.jpg)

genesiscouch
13-09-2004, 23:11
Classic. Don't do it BT.

(unless I can watch) :D

Tony
14-09-2004, 06:17

Wilf
Bring along the death certificate of the moron that drank the glue, then you'll have the proof - legal proof too!! :D

tas1
14-09-2004, 07:35
http://www.thistothat.com/glue/pva.shtml

Here you go - it's toxic if you eat it all right!

alchresearch
14-09-2004, 12:11
Let it go hard and then chew it, it goes down much better.

Wash it down with a bit of turps.

tosh13
14-09-2004, 13:18
PVA Glue has a pestdecide to stop fungus forming.My advice is do not drink this,it is non toxic but can still do damage to your Kidneys & Liver.I use PVA to seal my plaster footy kits & it forms a clear plastic coat this could damage major organs.

Spangle
14-09-2004, 15:48
Can you leave me your college fund in your will?
:bigsmile:
S

BrainThrust
14-09-2004, 21:35
Update:

Carefully considering all the information i recieved here and a phonecall to the manufacturer (that was really funny) I can post what I found out about PVA:

PVA is classed as non-toxic, yet toxic in some aspects as it is technically a carcinogen on par with smoking a pack of cigarettes (20) per 100ml

Upon this information that I was incredily unlikely to die (life is all about risks, nothing is 100% safe) I decided that I was going to take my mate up on this bet, not for the money but mainly for so I can tell people "I once drank a shot glass full of PVA glue for a bet"

Well it's been a while since I drank it now and I don't feel any different, I followed it up with 3 pints of water to wash it down and also a packet of polos (to take away the taste).

I haven't 'been' yet and so this will be the final test but so far, so good :thumbsup:

If this is my last words ever on the internet, i'd like to tell my parents and sister that I love them, I'd also liek to apologise to anyone who told me not to do it, I guess i am just stubborn

Disclaimer: I am in no way condoning that sane people drink PVA glue, although i am not a trained professional, I am very, very stupid and for some reason this seems to act like a shield of idiotic fath.

See ya tomorrow! (maybe)

Wilf

JoeP
14-09-2004, 21:50
Wilf,

Don't take this the wrong way but.....

Are you going for a 2004 Darwin Award here?

The dumbest thing I ever ate as a bet was a Tequila Worm...

I hope that your bowels move in an orderly manner and that your kidneys and liver live to fight another day!

Joe

BrainThrust
14-09-2004, 22:00
Originally posted by JoePritchard

Are you going for a 2004 Darwin Award here?

Ah come on, this is nowhere near stupid enough to be Darwin award material. I checked my facts, made sure that i wasn't going obviously kill myself and then planned out my drinking of said glue so that I would minimise it's effects on my system (thats why i've been consistently drinking water since I did it).

It's not like i've tried to glue up my nose and mouth or make a PVA mould of them, not that would be Darwin award material.

Wilf

Tony
14-09-2004, 23:48
Wilf, I'm worried for you. So much that I was going to hide this thread... but if you are going to die, then the least you can do is to let others not follow in your footsteps!

As for the Darwin Award, then surely you have to win the subsection Grand Prix for biggest contribution to the theory of survival of the fittest?

Jeepers, I can't sleep now. I can't believe you did this! Come back tomorrow (and the day after) and tell us it's a wind up... please.

carcrash
15-09-2004, 00:13
It could be a sticky end

Bookey
15-09-2004, 04:38
Update:

Carefully considering all the information i recieved here and a phonecall to the manufacturer (that was really funny) I can post what I found out about PVA:

{SNIP}

See ya tomorrow! (maybe)

Wilf

:o Got me laughing at the madness of this :D

Come back alive please, ta!

Bookey
15-09-2004, 04:44
Bit off topic

Had a friend who once snorted a tea bag contents, was funny as f*** was crying due to laugher :D :thumbsup:

Also finding out how flamable a door is....
Set door on fire.
Door burns to ash and roof has scorch marks. Try to control fire, fail.
Get fire extenguisher thingy, aim at door and hope for best.
Best failed, call 999 and ask them to put fire out.
Answer: Doors burn (a lot)!
:rolleyes:

(NB: this was a school trip years ago and it was not just me) ;)

genesiscouch
15-09-2004, 10:53
I can't believe you did that BT?!??? I thought you were joking. I really really hope you are ok as I agree with the others that this was not a smart thing to do.

Spangle
15-09-2004, 12:27
Update:

I haven't 'been' yet and so this will be the final test but so far, so good :thumbsup:

Wilf

Hey Wilf

So .. how did it go?
You'll probably end up 'bunged' and more full of S*it than ususal!

Send us a sign
S

cosywolf
15-09-2004, 12:31
LOL what a load of fuss over nothing!
Does no-one here have children, or even rememer being a child yourself? There was always the one kid in the corner who ate glue. PVA, no probs. I even recently had to stop a child eating a Pritt Stick, but half was gone before I got there (I suppose you could blame those stupid push-up sweets if you were into blame culture).
Now if you'd said you were going to eat some super glue, or one of the other, nastier kind of glue, I would have been worried enough to write out an obituary for you.
(Please don't.)

Cosy

Phanerothyme
15-09-2004, 12:50
Ah come on, this is nowhere near stupid enough to be Darwin award material. I checked my facts, made sure that i wasn't going obviously kill myself and then planned out my drinking of said glue so that I would minimise it's effects on my system (thats why i've been consistently drinking water since I did it).

It's not like i've tried to glue up my nose and mouth or make a PVA mould of them, not that would be Darwin award material.

Wilf

When you asked me in chat, I did think it was a strange question, but if you'd wanted a darwin award, you would need to drink cyanoacrylate glue in an effort to cure your ruptured appendix.

Polyvinyl Actate glue is mostly water anway. PVA itself is solid.

Right now the thing to do is to stay away from alkaline food and drink (cranberries) because that will react with the PVA to make a strange glutinous viscoelastic mass that would be very unpleasant to pass (think pondslime x silly putty).

I take it you haven't come unstuck yet? Still adhering to a water flushing regime? Got any other tacky stunts in the pipeline?

Mosherchik
15-09-2004, 15:03
Originally posted by cosywolf
LOL what a load of fuss over nothing!
Does no-one here have children, or even rememer being a child yourself? There was always the one kid in the corner who ate glue. PVA, no probs. I even recently had to stop a child eating a Pritt Stick, but half was gone before I got there
Cosy

I was that child :D
When once left unsupervised for about 1 minute I managed to devour not 1, not 2 but 3 whole Pritt Sticks and we're talking the big daddy ones here... I dont remember what they tasted like being all of 2 years old at the time but as far as I can recall there were no serious ill effects and Im still here to tell the tale

...also ate the nib off a black marker pen, and sucked the ink from a graphics pen altho that was because I wasnt paying attention to which end of the pen I was chewing!!!

Yes I know deplorable behaviour.... I am a pen chewer ARGH!!!! :wink:

Plain Talker
15-09-2004, 17:41
Does anyone else see the irony of the advertisements at the side of this page

<----- in that column, there...

Adverts, for, of all things.....

Glue-dots!!!!!!!!!!!

glue-dots, I ask you!

bloomin' glue-dots!

PT

louisa
15-09-2004, 18:04
LOL !!
That is one of the funniest things i have read this evening !!
And it sounds just like some stupid thing i would do if a mate bet me !!
Oh i do hope you survive so you can bring more joy to us through your silly antics and i hope you enjoy your lunches you deserve them !
NOTE TO FRIEND: Don't just buy a smeggy ham sandwhich from cooplands this man deserves better than that !!

the statement that cooplands sell smeggy ham sandwiches is entirly my opinon and not one put forward by the sheffield forum !
just in case xx

coopster1974
15-09-2004, 18:16
Off your box mate.

For free lunches?!

You a kid or a showoff? Cos they're the only ones that would do something like that!!

Cant wait to hear your tale of when you crap it out. ;)

Phanerothyme
16-09-2004, 09:29
Well nothing for a day and a half.....

come on BT, stuck for something to write? Please say you didn't croak, I would feel terrible...

mikey
16-09-2004, 10:12
Things are looking grim for BT

Or maybe his lips are sealed:P as to the outcome of his bizzare experiment, sounds like a jackass stunt.

PS Dont try this at home kids

BrainThrust
16-09-2004, 17:54
First of all: I AM STILL ALIVE

Right, some of you people are far too concerned for some who drank a bit of plastic.

I am perfectly healthy and I have had no problems whatsoever, a pretty regular visit to the bathroom. I was a tad lethargic yesterday evening but I put that down to sleep deprivation (not muscle strain ;) ), though I doubt any of you will post to say "I can't believe you slept that little, you must be insane"

Thankyou all of you that expressed concern, though it was really not required.

The fact this has generated so much interest has given me inspiration for what to make my website about for my IT course content.

Stay tuned for "The Great PVA Experiment" complete with pictures, and hopefully a transcript of the interview with a PVA manufacturer.

Wilf

Tony
16-09-2004, 18:37
Wilf, you need medical treatment... call the shrink! :) (Mad as a brush)

Edd
16-09-2004, 20:19
First of all: I AM STILL ALIVE

The fact this has generated so much interest has given me inspiration for what to make my website about for my IT course content.

Stay tuned for "The Great PVA Experiment" complete with pictures, and hopefully a transcript of the interview with a PVA manufacturer.

Wilf

I think yer mad mate - but full credit for doing the research first.

Now - how about eating a tube of glitter! You'll have the sparkliest poo's in sheffield (possibly the whole of yorkshire) - plus some very gilbert&george-esque pictures for your website!

post a link when its done!

edd

Tony
17-09-2004, 06:57
Don't egg him on! I get this feeling that wilf would do it - and more! :nono:

dragonsoup
18-09-2004, 19:32
Have you tried the yellow PVA? think it said Advocaat on the bottle!

BrainThrust
10-03-2006, 15:54
It's nearly the 18 month anniversary!

I'm still alive?

What can i drink now? Suggestions taken.

Wilf

Sidla
10-03-2006, 16:03
Meths?
____

BrainThrust
10-03-2006, 16:05
Meths?

ok, let me amned that, what can I drink that might be safe to drink?

Wilf

Snook
10-03-2006, 16:08
ok, let me amned that, what can I drink that might be safe to drink?

Wilf

Meths will be safe, just add it to some milk. :)

How about trying to eat a tub of silly putty?

Sidla
10-03-2006, 16:10
Pond water.

BrainThrust
10-03-2006, 16:10
let's call mets Plan B shall we?

I may be risky but i'm not mad, or desperate for alcohol that sends you blind and mad

Wilf

BrainThrust
10-03-2006, 16:16
Pond water.

I like this one, very tempted, but I can't phone up the manufacturer.

Wilf

Sidla
10-03-2006, 16:23
How about play-dough?

SHarper
10-03-2006, 16:28
Meths?
____

Been there, it was a ridiculous thing to do and never to be repeated. It was an eventful weekend, at the Kent Custom Show, 1995. I drank a pint of milk and a bottle of mouthwash to try and get rid of the taste, it didn't work.

It was the same weekend that I got sun-stroke, my forehead was red raw and the only cream I'd got in my tent was athletes foot cream, thought that some cream was better than none. Big mistake.

Snorting Vodka is also to be avoided, as temporary blindness occurs...

Hecate
10-03-2006, 16:31
I like this one, very tempted, but I can't phone up the manufacturer.

Wilf
But you'll be able to phone your GP when you go down with leptospirosis or some other infective nasty.

BrainThrust
10-03-2006, 16:52
But you'll be able to phone your GP when you go down with leptospirosis or some other infective nasty.

I've had a lifetime of eating/drinking/smoking things I should't. I'm sure my immune system would cope. I was thinking of actual fishfood at one point though, bad idea?

Wilf

EDIT: Ooh what about BabyGrow Plant formula?

RPG
10-03-2006, 23:20
Drink a pint of Bisto Best - Chicken Flavour.

RegularJohn
11-03-2006, 09:45
Fish food isnt too bad wilf (i know) try to aim your bar a little higher, Well done about the PVA glue too :D

Zebra
11-03-2006, 12:47
Play dough is not good, its designed to be safe if eaten.

One of the things I find odd is Milton sterilising solution, which can be diluted in basic form and drunk, according to the bottle. What if it wasn't diluted though? Is it really safe?

MysTique
11-03-2006, 13:15
One of the things I find odd is Milton sterilising solution, which can be diluted in basic form and drunk, according to the bottle. What if it wasn't diluted though? Is it really safe?
:o That stuff bleached the colour out of a top of mine once, and that was diluted.
I know one use is to sterilise babies bottles and dummies so must be safe in very diluted quantities, but I'm not sure about drinking it. *** goes off to check bottle***

Oh and Brainthrust - you're a nutter! :hihi:

Plain Talker
11-03-2006, 17:24
the reason the Milton sterilising fluid bleached your top, is because it is bleach....

in the dilution it is used in sterilising babies bottles, it must be reasonably safe, because we would not use it for babies if it were not safe.

The water purification tablets that you can buy, actually smell almost identical to milton.

PT

EdnaKrabappe
11-03-2006, 23:57
There was a woman where I used to work (Body Shop) who used to make it her duty to taste every new product that came in whether this be licking, drinking or eating a small piece.
She's not dead yet...

mega_monty
12-03-2006, 00:02
.... but she emits sweet smelly farts and burps

UnkleBob
15-07-2009, 21:56
bumping this thread...scuse me! :)

REPO MAN
15-07-2009, 22:06
Due to a strange conversation I had today, a situation has occurred whereby someone has made a bet.

They have bet that if someone can drink a shot glass of PVA glue, they will buy them lunch for the rest of the week.

I've been thinking about his, though not very seriously today and have come to the following conclusions

1) PVA glue could be drank

2) PVA is non-toxic so it wouldn't kill you

3) PVA is only a form of plastic and i eat/chew plastic all the time anyway

I was just wondering if anyone had any proof to the contrary that you can't physically drink PVA glue?

Wilf

just do it, dont worry let us all know if its nice:P

melthebell
15-07-2009, 22:07
just do it, dont worry let us all know if its nice:P
didnt read the rest of the thread then? or even the rest of the page???

Phanerothyme
16-07-2009, 01:21
bumping this thread...scuse me! :)
Go on, why?

f0rd
16-07-2009, 05:23
...only on SF.