Balti King, Broomhill.

...Went to an Indian restaurant called the Balti King.......read the reviews afterwards and found that the owner was fined £10,000 for having low hygeine standards..

http://www.sheffieldbase.com/baltiking.shtml

......didn't feel dodgy after going there but won't go back there again......nice Z3 outside the building though

Well, the University of Sheffield promote Balti King like mad because they sponsor loads of the uni's sports teams. In my experience, the only people who actually enjoy Balti King curries are going there at around 3am after a heavy drinking session.

We went plenty times whilst I was at university and each time we said we'd never go again... each time it was awful... each time we complained about the quality of the curry and they normally dismissed our complaints as rubbish because we were drunk - but let's face it - the more drunk we are, the better the curry will taste, so these must have been really bad!

Balti King is bad. Full stop.

Originally posted by Miss_60

...Went to an Indian restaurant called the Balti King.......read the reviews afterwards and found that the owner was fined £10,000 for having low hygeine standards..

http://www.sheffieldbase.com/baltiking.shtml

......didn't feel dodgy after going there but won't go back there again......nice Z3 outside the building though

yeah.. it was something like that they found [edited - see link above for their version of the story]

i have never been there, and won't be going.. but a lot of the students at my uni didn't go there for a while after the review but now all of them just go back there... weird.. hehe...

edited by geoffbowen

I went a few times whilst at Uni in the early to mid 90's and always enjoyed it :o The owner was really friendly too.

I've been a few times in the mid 90's also. The food seemed ok but, I found the seating a bit uncomforatable. Upstairs is better than downstairs IMO.

Been there a couple of time, have to say I wasn't impressed and hadn't any plans to go again..

Tried Nirmals on West St/Glossop Rd the other week. Excellent all round. Will certainly be going there again soon..

Originally posted by Miss_60

No such thing as a nice Z3!:)

mm dunno about that place, thankfully I have never had the pleasure of eating there although I have passed it on numerous occasions.

I did have a take-away from the Everest the other night which was absolutely rancid.

I'm sticking to Tesco finest indian meal for two in future.

There are tons of Indian restaurants in Sheffield that p*ss all over the Balti King! They've got where they are by spending heavily on advertising and free offers NOT by 'food' quality!

To all you students out there -

You might wish to consider some of the following (speaking from experience)

1. Gulshan BH (The Wicker) Also Deliver

2. Mangla (Spital Hill) Also Deliver

3. Kashmir Curry Centre (Spital Hill) Unsure of Deliveries

4. Induz (Attercliffe) Unsure of Deliveries

Take Aways

1. Imrans (Wicker)

2. Kebabish (soon to be opening but if their standard of food is anything like the rest in the chain it will be a good stop).

I have noticed that most of the take aways around Crookes, Broomhill etc tend to cater purely for the drunken student with quality slipping somewhat as the night progresses on after 10:30pm.

1man&hisBMW

ps. I like the Z3 - although I don't have one!