Tips on writing please, seriessix !

Im going to be cheeky here,as seriessix knows that I am an admirer of her writing style. Can you give me some tips on writing ? Ive submitted a few things, but now Ive drawn a blank. The stories that you write, can you tell me how they actually came into your head ? Were they there all the time,and just spilled out onto the paper ? or did you have to carefully think about each paragraph. ? The way it flows shows that it comes easy to you ,and have you got a natural sense of humour in real life like in your stories ?

Im going to be cheeky here,as seriessix knows that I am an admirer of her writing style. Can you give me some tips on writing ? Ive submitted a few things, but now Ive drawn a blank. The stories that you write, can you tell me how they actually came into your head ? Were they there all the time,and just spilled out onto the paper ? or did you have to carefully think about each paragraph. ? The way it flows shows that it comes easy to you ,and have you got a natural sense of humour in real life like in your stories ?

Normally I would request this be taken to PM, but on this occasion, pattricia, I think you have asked a cogent question which will be informative to all of us on the Writing Group.

Maybe other contributors to the Writing Group would be kind enough to add their own motivational and inspirational techniques too. :):wink:

Normally I would request this be taken to PM, but on this occasion, pattricia, I think you have asked a cogent question which will be informative to all of us on the Writing Group.

Maybe other contributors to the Writing Group would be kind enough to add their own motivational and inspirational techniques too. :):wink:

Thought you were going to tell me off there ,Shoe. I know its a bit cheeky(she may not even reply) but thought other people on the Writers Group would benefit from her advice.(What does cogent mean ?) :huh:

Hi,

I think about a story quite a bit before writing it, usually on the train into work. The journey takes 40 mins. so I have plenty of time for this kind of thing. In fact this journey twice a day has increased the amount of books I get through greatly – which is another great source of inspiration. Sometimes I just write the idea down and nothing more, but that’s enough to know that it’ll turn into a story.

So no ideas, no story.

Ideas come from many sources, an overheard conversation, something on TV maybe an old story my dad told me years ago. The more preposterous or bizarre the better, I often knock the ideas around with my other half as they also have a daft sense of humor.

I also carry around a note pad; I have learnt that good ideas can be forgotten forever, so I get them down ASAP. When I have written a story I go over it and over it until I’m happy with it (the time this takes can vary). I sometimes change the construction of sentences to make the flow better and also to make the story understandable to the reader. When you have a story in your head you obviously know the plot – so when editing I try to look at it from a neutral stand point (which is easier said than done).

Yes, lets hear your techniques....

I think the main thing is , is not to copy someone elses "style". You have to get your own, and be comfortable with it. You for instance, have got a very vivid imagination.I think we lose this as we get older.I was very good at composition at school, but cannot write now, as I did then. I think maybe we sometimes have to clear our minds and think like a child does.When we are comfortable with our own "style" then our writing will flow more.

I usually come up with the concept for a story when I’m bored or when I’m just about to go to sleep, it’s unlikely I can write the story straight away due to work etc. so I might leave a brief one line description on my scratchpad like:

“Girl murdered & her soul is transferred to computer matrix”

Then I mooch around and over the next few days think about how the story is to develop and how it is to end.

Just before writing the story I’ll type a checklist of the main points like:

(a) Story told in ‘first person’ perspective by main female character (“Natalie”)

(b) Introduce brother (“Simon”) autistic computer programmer

© Describe the computer matrix –Nat’s father already in - don’t get too technical!

(d) Natalie’s murder – taught to play chess / describe upgrade procedure.

(e) Nat’s dog “Bruno” returns to matrix , brings disturbing information

(f) Natalie fears she is turning into electronic ghost / about to be deleted.

(g) She sends an SOS over the internet – does it succeed?

As the story develops I may introduce other characters if they are necessary, for example I gave the autistic computer programmer an evil Personal Assistant as he is incapable of premeditated malice, once the story is in first draft that’s when the real work starts, I’ll edit it right back to make the story tauter, change words or phrases to make the story clearer and delete any ‘dead end’ storylines that aren’t necessary to the flow of the story.

Sometimes I stick the "final" story in a folder and return to it weeks later with a fresh eye and modify it even further. When reasonably happy I then upload it to the forum to see what you lot made of it. – the above skeleton was uploaded as a final story on here as The Soul cages, I enjoyed writing it anyway!

So the main thing you do is "condense" a storyline first.I did this when I was studying to be a nurse.I had so much to remember for an exam, that I found it useful to condense the exam work. I agree that you should have a notebook with you , especially at the side of your bed,as things come to you while asleep.Thanks for your tips.

What techniques? :hihi:

I've never had a technique in my life! :confused::help:

In one of my contributions I've got a kid stuck in the garden of his house, in the very early hours of the morning and he's about to have a magical experience.

In another storyline there's a bloke contemplating a gruesome end to someone near and dear to him, a new elderly neighbour or the prospect of some ex-neighbours about to enter hellfire in their distant retirement home.

Any technique I may have had at that point "up and left" because I frightened myself to death, being of a nervous disposition! :hihi:

Hello every-one work and family comments have dragged me away

for week or two , as well as my pc going ga-ga on me .There seems a lot to catch up on and i hope one last story to upload befor Christmas .

I like to fantasies when i write . The more bizarre the better , i don't know if they make sense or perhaps I'm just weird .

Hello every-one work and family comments have dragged me away

for week or two , as well as my pc going ga-ga on me .There seems a lot to catch up on and i hope one last story to upload befor Christmas .

I like to fantasies when i write . The more bizarre the better , i don't know if they make sense or perhaps I'm just weird .

The trouble with me mikomi, is that Ive lost my imagination. I want to get it back but I cant find it anywhere . :huh:

I’m still a novice and so have no techniques, ask me in a couple of years.:hihi: