Tragus Piercing - Advice

Hi guys

I am desparately wanting my tragus piercing. My ex had it done and he said it was fine, didn't hurt at all, and my friend also has hers done but I am dreading it as I cannot even begin to imagine what sort of pain it might feel like.

Anyone want to offer me advice on where to go, prices etc.

BTW I am needing either sterling silver or titanium ring putting thru as I would be allergic to anything else!

Ta xxx

..what is a tragus? I live a dark, sheltered life of erotic ignorance! :D :D

ok, googled tragus! its the seemingly pointless bit of your ear!

Well it got you all talking - ;) hehe Nah I'd like it doing, but hoping they freeze it... anyone know?!

ok, googled tragus! its the seemingly pointless bit of your ear!

...oh, it's up THERE!! :D :D :D

:D:D:D LOL it's the bit of your body that never really had a name before!!

Well it got you all talking - ;) hehe Nah I'd like it doing, but hoping they freeze it... anyone know?!

Won't it drop off??!! :P

Neither sterling silver nor titanium are very good for healing fresh piercings - surely you cannot be allergic to surgical steel? I am hideously allergic to most metals and as such only have surgical steel. I had a bar from a place in the forum once - it got binned after a couple of hours because it wasn't decent enough quality. I tried titanium in an eyebrow piercing and the piercing went gooey - changed to surgical steel and it was fine (my own fault for changing to titanium in the first place).

As for the 'pain' - if you have a good piercer with the right needle it will feel like a sharp pinch, which then feels hot. For the love of god, don't catch your hair on it or sleep on it for the first couple of weeks. Make sure that the piercer puts a ring suitable for your size ear in... I've seen too many people with too chunky a ring, which never heals, and thin fiddly rings are likely to reject to the surface.

I can't recommend anywhere in Sheffield for piercing from experience as I had all mine done at Cold Steel in london (who are excellent if you're ever down that way).

Wherever you do go, go armed with a list of questions, and don't plan to get pierced that day. If they can't answer all of your questions right away, don't go back. If they answer your questions unsatisfactorily, don't go back. If they won't show you (physically show you) the jewellery they will be using, don't go back. If they don't have a hygeine certificate from the council, don't go back. If they won't show you their equipment, don't go back. All needles, jewellery, gloves and pads (for wiping goo up) should be brand new, sterile and only for you. Any other equipment like pliers (sometimes used for putting the balls in ball closure rings) should be autoclaved to sterilise them between piercings. You should never be rushed into a decision. You should feel comfortable with the skill of the piercer and the environment. If you're not, you're in the wrong place.

Remember, you only have two ears, and you don't want one hideously scarred by a bad piercing or infection.

Hope this helps.

probably won't hurt half as much as what I had done