Crookes valley park speed boat

Can anyone remember thrashing around the boating lake on the big motor boat. I wonder what became of it ? i think it was called Queen Elizebeth. What about the original wooden rowing boats all painted in bright primary colours....ahhh happy days.

Yeah remember the rowing boats, but not a speed boat.

If you want a good speed boat ride, get yourself to Bridlington and for 2 quid you can ride the speed boats in the harbour.

Greaaat

I remember the motor boat used to operate on sundays ,bank hols and school hols

I seem to remember hearing that one night a group of young residents of upperthorpe managed to get out to the moorings in the middle of the lake and set fire to it sad really...but not sure if its true ....would love to see whats at the bottom of that lake its classed as bottomless you know as its over 25 foot deep apparently ??

It can't be that deep everywhere.

I remember when I was very young, sitting on the grass bank on a Sunday afternoon, watching an adult trying to teach his kids how to row. He was in one boat, with his youngest. Two other kids were in another boat.

After about ten minutes when the two kids were just going round in circles, the guy tried to change boats. What happened was obvious, but still hilarious. As he stepped from one to the other, the boats moved apart and he fell in the water in his Sunday best.

It only came up to his knees - but he wasn't too pleased - especially when all the people sitting on the bank gave him a round of applause. Eee it were better than t'telly.

There is (was) a measurement guage in one corner of the dam that reads up to 32 feet. I remember a young girl drowning in the dam in the mid 1970s. It took quite a few hours to retrieve her body.

I also remember watching police frogmen using the dam for a practice dive. They retrieved numerous fishing rods and a model motorized speed boat.

Yes I remember it very well I used to go down with my mum regularly

As I remember you used to get 2 trips round for 2p ish it was fantastic

When you are only 3. I would love it if someone has any old pictures of it?

Can’t find any on the net

It was sad about the vandals setting fire to the speed boat.

They also burned down the bowling pavilion. we sometimes go past to see yobos playing foot ball on the bowling green

Some students once walked out on the ice cut a hole in the middle and placed a pile of clothes at the side for a joke the divers were there for ages looking for a body.

I think is very deep in the centre my dad said they drained it in the war

To stop bombers getting a reflection off it. He said it was a quarry before it was a lake but I don’t know if that true?

I was talking to one of the police divers and he said once you move your flippers on the bottom you cant see a thing & there are allsorts of snags like old shopping trolleys and stuff

I heard about the girl drowning in the park she was black and she was with some white lads .I think there was some racist trouble about it at the time.

We used to play on top of a very deep shaft that was in the trees behind the pavilion

It had a grid on it and we used to dare each other to walk across it .its still there but it has been reduced and capped. there was a rumour that there was a tunnel under the road that came out on to the tip at the other side.

Happy days lost on the youth of today who would rather sit in front of an x box than get out on your bikes in the park and all over the place with your mates. The park patrol on there triumph motor bikes use to tell us off from time to time .

The toilets on mushroom lane were a bit dodgy and were to be avoided as they were a meeting place for homosexuals

The girl who drowned was Beverley Wall, a pupil of High Storrs School.

Can anyone remember thrashing around the boating lake on the big motor boat. I wonder what became of it ? i think it was called Queen Elizebeth. What about the original wooden rowing boats all painted in bright primary colours....ahhh happy days.

Aye ~~

I remember the speedboat, it did a two and half circuit of the lake, not the part that was cabled off though, as we lived local and spent a lot of time there we ended up getting free trips on there, and then when older, we got free rowing boat rides too ........... <sigh> the days of innocence :sad:

I also remember having to pay!!! to play tennis in Weston Park.

*Smiles*

Angi <~~~ Shuffling of to her cup of coca and electric blanket :wow:

I seem to remember hearing that one night a group of young residents of upperthorpe managed to get out to the moorings in the middle of the lake and set fire to it sad really...but not sure if its true ....would love to see whats at the bottom of that lake its classed as bottomless you know as its over 25 foot deep apparently ??

Think you were right I heard the same story.

You also could play tennis in Crookes Valley on a red shale surface at the commonside end of the bowling green.

It could have been a quarry I suppose, but it's the remaining one of a series of reservoirs. Another was just higher up, at the other side of the dam house restaurant and is now the univerity sports ground. Although it was filled in and levelled, any decent rain and it floods, I guess the old waterproof base is still there. Have a look at this map, all 3 dams are shown. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~engsheffield/photos/streets/streetrelated/1890smap.htm

I remember the speed boat and the rowing boats :) ... can you remember the model speed boat races that took place on there? ..we used hear them from commonside ..and all leg it down there to watch :D

Yes those were the days .... i can remember being really young ..and trying climb into that bearpit thing near the bowling green ..i also heard thier was a tunnel that ran over to pondarosa :D

we used to get chased out of the museum ..lol..we'd wag it from school and go in and use the drinks machine :D