Increase in tramps in Sheffield centre?

Guest Guest

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of Sheffield tramps?

I don't really understand how people can be tramps in a city of this size, there is so much support out there. To be honest, I think most of them probably have homes and cars :cry:

Also, where have the police gone?! Haven't seen a police car driving about in ages, maybe there is a link betweent this and the increase in tramps?

When you say 'tramps' do you mean homeless people? Sheffield has a shortage of hostel places and no night shelter, unlike most other big cities. Most of these people do not meet the criteria to be accepted as eligible for assistance by the Council. Could it be that the city centre building programme is depriving these people of the derelict buildings they have made their homes and, consequently, made them more visible? The police do move these people on-but where to? And beggars are prosecuted and have to return to begging to pay the fines imposed upon them. I don't think many of these individuals choose begging as a career option but more as a way of subsidising addictions or enhancing state benefits.

It does my head in though, when people come up to you and ask for '50p' for a bus fare etc. etc. etc. Ok, it's not a lot of money, but I'm a student and I can't afford to go giving money away.

I wonder if we still get the scroungers who cadge all day in the city centre and then get in their cars and drive home ?

yes, it was on calender the other day :shock:

Guest Guest

Yeah, I've seen "tramps" (or homeless) people in the centre of Sheffield, and then suddenly their family pulls up in a car and "tramp" gets in and drives home... :evil:

My boyfriend and I had a really strange experience. We were looking at the menu in the window of a restaurant, when we heard a man talking. He was stood directly behind us, speaking to us! He blabbered on about the police having moved him on, and how he had to keep walking so as not to get moved etc. He then called himself "Sheffield's friendliest tramp" which I found rather amusing. I didn't quite know what to believe, because I'd never been approached like this before. After exchanging puzzled looks, my boyfriend gave him some change from his pocket and sent him on his way! Hmm! Has anyone else met the friendly tramp?

Originally posted by "caprice"

He then called himself "Sheffield's friendliest tramp" which I found rather amusing

Ahh! :shock:

This happened to me 2 days ago. I was walking along West Street and this guy appeared. He looked quite agressive and told me that he "was Sheffield's friendliest tramp" and could he have some money. I decided it was too risky to get my wallet out. I guess the part when he said "I was" kind of worried me :shock:

Geoff

PS. It's a small world!

Thats odd! I was near west street too! He probably just walks up and down there all day, asking for money! I did recall him having greenish looking fingers which freaked me out a little. eek!

I've worked with homeless people and the drinkers you see on West Street (no not the ones frequenting the trendy bars) and it's true most of them are friendly. I don't give anyone 'bus fare' 'spare change' etc. and can understand how some of them might seem intimidating. I acknowledge that there may be people who are cashing in on 'begging' and then going home to nice houses but the press does flag these up whilst not attempting to talk to genuine homeless/marginalised people. Most of these individuals are in this position because of situations that we all could encounter but think we never would.

There is no need for anyone to be a tramp on the street,here, or anywhere else.(male or female).A lot of them have money and cars,and the rest choose to live that way,in filth,and degredation due to drink ,drugs,gambling,and they are too bone Idle to keep themselves clean. I am sorry but I will not give them anything, or help them in any way because it is self imposed. I have been abused by these people more than once, due to my refusal and am talking obscenities in the street. The police have taken them away, but they were back again within one hour,they are just scum and not deserving of any consideration. I could have got like that after I lost all my family,but Instead I kept myself decent and I can hold my head up.

Good for you, I'm pleased you were able to overcome the adversity you experienced. Other people aren't so fortunate. There are very good reasons why people are homeless in Sheffield today. For example people are led to believe that Housing Benefit will cover the cost of their rent but Sheffield Council include Water Rates as rent which is not covered by Housing Benefit. People who are not aware that they have to pay the Water Rate component of their rent can be evicted for rent arrears. Anyone in owner occupied accomodation who did not pay Water Rates might eventually have their supply cut off but would never lose their home. Would mortgage companies bother to take homeowners to court seeking repossession for £200 arrears, the Council does even when the arrears are due to the inefficiencies of its own privately contracted Housing Benefit administrators. The Council has to provide acomodation for any roofless person on nights when the temperature is sub zero but when the temperature is 1 degree above freezing many people ineligable for Council help will rely on the rough sleepers packs (a quilt,hat,gloves, filled hot water flask and a Mars bar) distributed by local charities. There for my good fortune go I.