View Full Version : Price mistakes on shopping websites

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 15:49
Ok, hypothetically, if a certain big electronics website happened to list a laptop at 1.33 and I was to order it, can they charge me the full price?

I fully realise that it's a mistake and they will be very quick to point this out to me after I have ordered, I just don't want 1500 deducting from my credit card!

nick2
21-11-2006, 15:50
They are not obliged to sell you it at 1.33 (despite what lots of people believe).

Macca
21-11-2006, 15:51
Ok, hypothetically, if a certain big electronics website happened to list a laptop at 1.33 and I was to order it, can they charge me the full price?

I fully realise that it's a mistake and they will be very quick to point this out to me after I have ordered, I just don't want 1500 deducting from my credit card!

As far as I'm aware, no.

This has happened before, use google to look up stories.

I'm sure it was Currys or Argos.

bladesufc1
21-11-2006, 15:52
print the page off.!! if they did charge you 1500 take them to court!! they wouldn't go to court and just give it to you as per the original price

bladesufc1
21-11-2006, 15:53
They are not obliged to sell you it at 1.33 (despite what lots of people believe).

yes they are! consumer rights and all that.. on the web page it will state that all prices are correct!

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 15:53

I'm not naive enough to believe they WILL send it but it's worth a try ;)

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 15:54
Dammit they spotted the mistake before I could place the order :(

Macca
21-11-2006, 15:58
Dammit they spotted the mistake before I could place the order :(

therein lies your answer.

Which site was it then?

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 15:58
It was Ebuyer. They're clearly having a bad day there was an Acer laptop priced 19.99 a few minutes ago too.

savbaby
21-11-2006, 15:59
As far as I'm aware, no.

This has happened before, use google to look up stories.

I'm sure it was Currys or Argos.
there was a thread on here before when argos was selling Portable stereos for 99p, from what i remember a few folk got them at that price before argos realised!

poppins
21-11-2006, 16:01
print the page off.!! if they did charge you 1500 take them to court!! they wouldn't go to court and just give it to you as per the original price

Bit sad, taking advantage of someones mistake.

nick2
21-11-2006, 16:01
yes they are! consumer rights and all that.. on the web page it will state that all prices are correct!

They arn't. They can withdraw anything from sale, for any reason they want, and just refund you.

My mum works in a department store and there are always people claiming they have to sell them things at the price shown, even if the price is wrong, but they just tell the customer that item is no longer for sale.

Macca
21-11-2006, 16:02
It was Ebuyer. They're clearly having a bad day there was an Acer laptop priced 19.99 a few minutes ago too.

Dammit!!

I did Curry's, then Ebuyer.

Saw the 20 one (with VAT) but left it.....

I bet they've sacked someone today, or a p*ssed off temp is leaving.

Macca
21-11-2006, 16:03
They arn't. They can withdraw anything from sale, for any reason they want, and just refund you.

My mum works in a department store and there are always people claiming they have to sell them things at the price shown, even if the price is wrong, but they just tell the customer that item is no longer for sale.

The larger, and more important point being they can't take anymore money from you, should you manage to order one at a cheap price.

Keep looking on Ebuyer, you never know how long it will take them to catch up with their gremlin....

evildrneil
21-11-2006, 16:04

No they aren't. I came across this a while ago and was informed by trading standards people that the price on a website is classed as an entreat to buy (I think that was the term - could well be wrong!) rather than a binding price. If you look on the terms and conditions of most websites they will have some disclaimer about mispricing.

scoop
21-11-2006, 16:05
I was very lucky last year to buy a holiday online that should have cost 1400 for 750, now I'm very sad though because we had such a great time we'd like to go again but we can't afford the full price unfotunatley!

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 16:05
Bit sad, taking advantage of someones mistake.

If it was an individual, yes. But a big multi-million pound company who should have procedures to ensure they have their prices correct?

Dammit!!

I did Curry's, then Ebuyer.

Saw the 20 one (with VAT) but left it.....

I bet they've sacked someone today, or a p*ssed off temp is leaving.

Saw the 20 one also but that was changed within seconds. These products are rapidly having the prices corrected and being changed to 'out of stock'. Methinks someone has definitely been sacked and not removed from the building!

Twiglet
21-11-2006, 16:07
From the Ebuyer website:

1.5 In the event that, after we accept your order, we discover that the goods ordered are unavailable or that there was a pricing error on our website in respect of the goods ordered, we reserve the right not to supply the goods ordered and to offer you a refund or alternative goods in accordance with conditions 2.2 to 2.4 below

Macca
21-11-2006, 16:07
If it was an individual, yes. But a big multi-million pound company who should have procedures to ensure they have their prices correct?

Saw the 20 one also but that was changed within seconds. These products are rapidly having the prices corrected and being changed to 'out of stock'. Methinks someone has definitely been sacked and not removed from the building!

Well, if you manage to find another really cheap one - order one for me and I'll pay you double!! :thumbsup:

NEKRO138
21-11-2006, 16:09
Most of them will honour it though. I bought the Futurama box set with everything in for 9.99 from WHSmith.

Magilla
22-11-2006, 11:05

No they are not! A price advertised *anywhere* is merely an offer, the contract isn't signed until they take your money and make an agreement.
Even then, if the price is *obviously* a mistake, then they're under no obligation to honour it.

To the OP. They won't charge your card with the correct amount, they'll probably cancel your order, send you a letter explaining their mistake and invite you to buy again at the correct price.