Sign in to follow this  

De Lima.. Should he be given the Gold.

The Brazilian marathon runner was leading the race yesterday before being run off in the crowd by an Irish spectator.

Due to this he was overtaken by the Italian and cost him a possible gold medal and came in second to pick up silver.

Do you think he should be given a gold medal.

If I was the Italian maybe I would have waited for the Brazilian and cross the line together as a kind of protest, however he ran on oblivious to take the gold.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

The Brazilian marathon runner was leading the race yesterday before being run off in the crowd by an Irish spectator.

Due to this he was overtaken by the Italian and cost him a possible gold medal and came in second to pick up silver.

Do you think he should be given a gold medal.

If I was the Italian maybe I would have waited for the Brazilian and cross the line together as a kind of protest, however he ran on oblivious to take the gold.

Well no dodging spectators is all part of the fun. At least he didnt weep and take his pumps home.

Can I remind the Irish that it is customary to wait until the race is OVER before you celebrate with the person you support!!:thumbsup:

I can't say I blame the Italian, he was there after all to win the race, it's not even clear if he knew about the incident. The IOC should have given out two gold medals then De Lima would have at least known that everyone was feeling sorry for him.

I hope the clown who ran on and attacked him gets a good long rest in one of the Greek hell holes that they normally reserve for drunk chavs.

This was the idiot who attmpted to disrupt the Grand Prix at Silverstone by obtaining access to the track.

I know it's not gold but at least he got presented with a 'sportmanship' award.

There was talk of a duplicate gold but I can't see that ever happening.

At least he manage to carry on and get bronze. If he had been injured and unable to carry on then Sheffield's Job Brown would have got the bronze.

problem is, would he of won anyway?

i feel sorry for the winner, people will always say would you of won if it wasnt for that incident, so 2 peoples marathons could of been ruined.

Originally posted by some_boy

problem is, would he of won anyway?

i feel sorry for the winner, people will always say would you of won if it wasnt for that incident, so 2 peoples marathons could of been ruined.

Good point, I guess we will never know.

We can hardley blame the Italian, wasn't his fault some tit ran on and disrupted the other athlete now was it?