Paula is a loser!

Is Paula Radcliffe a total loser who bottled it and cried like a baby when she knew she was squarely beaten? Don't you think that it is incrediblely arrogant to think that she was going to win a world event in the first place. Especially one that takes so long and has so many variables, weather and fittness and everything else.

Kelly holmes had the right attitude.She didnt promise anything.:thumbsup:

what do you think?

I must admit, I am arriving at the same conclusion. Fair enough, when it happened the first time I suppose she probably deserved the benefit of the doubt, but after the second time, well....

It seems to me that she is thriving on pity. Shame on her.

I agree. She realised she couldn't win a medal, so she cried and took her ball home. If everyone else did this there'd only be 3 finishers in each race. It's not the type of attitude you expect from a professional athlete. All of the media sympathy is lost on me. To me she appears arrogant, as though she has a god given right to win a medal.

I was annoyed that she didn't attempt to finish but I think her reasons must have been because she was saving herself for the 10000 meters although there was only 3 miles to go it wouldn't have mattered to me if she had walked the remaining distance. She must have been mentally shattered to do what she did. I can't recall anyone every quiting in a similar fashion to this before.

Incidentally, shouldn't the marathon come after the 10,000 metres?

It seems more sensible to have the more gruelling race last.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I was annoyed that she didn't attempt to finish but I think her reasons must have been because she was saving herself for the 10000 meters although there was only 3 miles to go it wouldn't have mattered to me if she had walked the remaining distance. She must have been mentally shattered to do what she did. I can't recall anyone every quiting in a similar fashion to this before.

To do what she did and work herself up to a state to concertrate on the 10,000 metres is hardly preparing herself for it.

Her mental state is bound to be an issue and relevant to another failure.

t020 rightly said that if everyone packed because they had no chance of a medal then only three runners would finish the race which is hardly proffessional.

Paula may be the best this country has, but theres a world of runners on that race and yes some of them Paula has beaten in less minor races but if your not mentally tuned into the race your gonna loose.

Running is both mental and physical.

Yes and this illustrates my point. When you are defeated mentally you are more or less automatically finished physically.

none of you have the right to criticise in my opinion. I doubt any of you could even dream of walking that distance, never mind running it.

I do know how hard it is because I have ran 5 full marathons and 2 Ultra runs. To run at that pace in that heat is incredible

Paula:-

the point is she should have finished her race,if i do a triathlon and have a bad day,i dont throw the towel in,i carry on regardless and if she felt so bad,why did she then do the 10,000 mtrs.Was too much expected of her,i think not, she doesn't run away from the publicity when shes winning.

Had she carried on to the finish that would have earned her much more respect.

And yes i have run marathon before,and a few1/2marathons i wasnt gonna win,but i still finished them,may be i just dont like quitters!!!

End of rant.

john t

Nobody likes a quitter but I'd like to attempt to understand what made her quit. I mean, I have seen her on countless occasions not come in the top 3 but never ever quit like that before. Although, she has not been used to been accustomed to been beaten in Marathons so may be that is the key.