Is anyone familiar with 'The Exclusive Brethren' religious order?

I have had dealings on both a personal level and a business level. I found them different to say the least. I would be interested in reading your views, good or bad!!

I have had dealings on both a personal level and a business level. I found them different to say the least. I would be interested in reading your views, good or bad!!

Not had any dealings with this group but I have had a fair few with the 'Plymouth Brethren'. Now they can be 'interesting' to do business with.

I too have had dealings with Plymouth Brethern, I don't know how they stay in business with no computers, mobile phones, radios etc. I can't understand why doing without things like that help their religion.

I was watching the 7/7 atrocities on the television, when one chap who is a Brethern came into my office to ask what was happening, and he actually averted his eyes from the television screen!!!

I too have had dealings with Plymouth Brethern, I don't know how they stay in business with no computers, mobile phones, radios etc. I can't understand why doing without things like that help their religion.

I was watching the 7/7 atrocities on the television, when one chap who is a Brethern came into my office to ask what was happening, and he actually averted his eyes from the television screen!!!

The strange thing is that they only seem to do without technology in their personal lives. I have, on occasion, bought goods from a business which is owned by two families who are Plymouth Brethren and on every occasion the invoice has been computerised. When I remarked on this, the reply was that without a computerised stock control system it would be impossible to run the business. Likewise, they will use a mobile for business and for emergencies and don't seem to have a problem obtaining cash from an ATM.

One thing which I can definitely say in their favour is that when you complete a job for them the bill is settled immediately. No arguing, no hassle and no attempt at bartering in an attempt to chip a bit off the agreed price, unlike a certain religion I could mention.

They have computerised invoices and statements, however, they are not created by themselves or anyone in their employ. They can have fax machines on site aswell as computers but they cannot own or physically use them. The people who do are self employed or contractors who should be supplying an invoice for all hours and or services worked.

What about this then; their kids. They go to a normal school upto the age of say 10-11, then they go to a specially run school for EB children.

What about the kids life after talking with other kids about television programmes and news and games etc. The poor b------s must have a terrible time, being picked on 'cause they can't talk about TV progs etc.

What life is this in this modern age?

The other funny thing is they (adults) all look the same..............

These sound like Taylor exclusive Plymouth Brethrens. Most Plymouth Brethrens have no problems using computers.

Yeah, i think Taylor was one of, or the original founder. What was his philosophy?

Why is it that if one of the flock leave the bretheren, they loose everything including their own kids???

What is wrong with these people? What effect would such a wrench on young children have??

The very strict order of the Plymouth Brethern are called Darbyites. Don't know why.

The ones I knew never used computers, perhaps people in their employ did it for them.

My OH used to work for plymouth brethrens and found it very hard to adapt to their lifestyle. He wasnt allowed to eat in front of them and had to stop lunch if they came into the room he was eating in.

My dads house used to belong to PB too. He had to have all the modcons installed when he moved in!!!

What about this then; their kids. They go to a normal school upto the age of say 10-11, then they go to a specially run school for EB children.

What about the kids life after talking with other kids about television programmes and news and games etc. The poor b------s must have a terrible time, being picked on 'cause they can't talk about TV progs etc.

What life is this in this modern age?

The other funny thing is they (adults) all look the same..............

I doubt that the kids get much of a chance to mix with others who are not of their 'persuation'. They are dropped off at school and only allowed to go in at the very last minute, collected at lunchtime and taken to a brethren house to be fed, and collected immediately after school, to only mix thereafter with their own kind until bed time. :huh::suspect::loopy:

As for the adults all looking the same, this seems to be particularly true of their womenfolk who all wear that funny little hairband/headscarf type of thing and have the skirt to an exact few centimetres above the ankle.

Whenever I go in Sainsburys or Tesco at Abbeydale I amuse myself by seeing how many of the women I can spot. They all seem to shop at these two, perhaps it's because their place of worship/meeting room is just round the corner halfway up Carter Knowle Road. Once you know the 'uniform' they are as easy to spot as someone wearing a bourka or a face veil. :nod::lol:

I used to have (in about 1991) a news clipping about the "Exclusive Brethren" on my office wall.

The headline was "Jesus Didn't Use a Computer" - the brethren were not allowing their kids to go to IT classes at school.... and yes, there defense was "Jesus didnt use one" :confused:

The editorial pointed out the Jesus didnt speak english, use toilet paper or a flush toilet..... :cool:

The very strict order of the Plymouth Brethern are called Darbyites. Don't know why.

John Nelson Darby

One of the original group which later became the 'Brethren' in the 1830's.