Sign in to follow this  

Naughty 5 year old...

Help i need advice im ripping my hair out.

I have 2 children jake 8 (is my stepson but we have custody of him and iv bought him up from being 6mnth old) and our 5 year old corey.

I am really beyond it with our 5 year old at moment he started full time school september and i thought his behaviour would be better but its worse.

He shows off screaming and kicking all the time and punches his brother when he don't get his own way.

Today we got to school after him having a paddy on the way there cos i wouldn't buy him a sweet.

And a little boy said hello to him and he shouted at him and told him he hated him.

Which is another problem at moment iv never had problems with him being horrid to other kids but of lately he is bad.

He normally plays with my neighbours little girl but he keeps being nasty to her ,and telling her he hates her.

And he don't want to go any where every where i go if i go see friends he is contantly asking to go home.

Iv done a parenting course a few year ago and am annoyed because i feel i should know what to do.

But he is constantly grinding me down,when i say no to him having chrisp the minute i turn my back he is climbing on the kitchen worktops and getting them himself.

And anyone would think he is the adult if i say no sweets he tells me that next time i will buy him one (and no i don't give in).

I just wounderd if im over reacting,or if my son is off the rails.

He has been such a pleasent child till last few weeks,all he keeps telling me is that he misses me when i go college.

I'v recently started full time while my sons at school,im woundering if the change in everything is bothering him.

Any advice on how to deal with his behaviour please.

You send a lovely child off to school, and seem to get a monster in return. I am sure that this will settle soon. As long as you remain firm & constant, as you seem to be doing, he will see that he cannot get get anywhere with this behaviour, and most likely stop. Did he go to nursery school before starting full time school? It might be worth having a word with his teacher, it could be that he is the most well-behaved boy in class, and saves all the rubbish up for you - I am sure mine did!

I used to tell mine that I didnt like them when they were nasty, I loved them, but didnt like them & that I didnt want to speak to them until they could be better boys. Usually, after some thinking time, this worked, but as all children are different - you will have to find what works for you and your son. My sympathies are with you, but you must remember that you are the boss, and cannot be dictated to. Good luck.

Hi yes he went to nursery before school,and was very well behaved there.

thanks for your advise its just so hard some times,i feel its never ending.

I find when my other half gets involved he is a little too strict although i let him get on with it.

But our 5 year olds attitude is same with his dad,just have to hope it's a passing faze.

As long as you & your other half are "singing from the same hymn sheet" you will get through. Children are experts at playing one parent off against the other. You must agree on house rules etc. and stick to them, I know it's hard, but worth it in the long run.

Its most definately a phase. My eight year old gives me short shrift when he doesnt get his own way but I dont react at all. You know that most of his behaviour is attention seeking.

Moving from part time nursery to full time school is daunting for any child and like Sultana said he probably saves up all the crappy bits for you. Don't give in but make sure you spend time with him at home, be firm with your decisions and the old old advice, don't reward bad behaviour (even with shouting back) he will eventually get the message that you won't tolerate it.

If he is being mean to other children including Jake just remove him from the situation. I have recently cottoned on to the fact that my youngest tends to do the screaming "he hit me" routine to get his brother into trouble when actually I saw what happened and hes just being a little sh*t.

Good Luck

Stick to same stuff, and you cant go wrong,, never argue over what is right or wrong in front of your children...mine used to try and play us off at eachother,, but now we agree an everything to do with the kids,, marc backs me up whatever..

This reminds me of when my eldest 1st started school, I checked into everything, the feeling overwhelmed with the new school, new people, tired for being there all day, turns out someone nice child was sharing cola with her, not something was used to, I asked the school to keep an eye on things and explained to my daughter not to share drinks, things calmed down very quickly