View Full Version : 6 year old child dies by choking at school


okka north
08-11-2006, 22:36
God this is an awful story. In brief, this poor child choked while eating lunch at school. She could not be saved. Her poor family.

You send your kids to school thinking that they will be safe and wouldn't even think this could happen.

Why was someone not trained to deal with this sort of thing. My childminder is trained in things like this for children, why wasnt' there someone there trained to do the H move. Sorry can't remember how to spell it. There is first aid training aimed at tending to children and the H move is covered in severe cases of choking. It's where they grab the person and press in just under their ribs to force out something in the throat.

I know I shouldn't be posting this as we don't know what has happened and a child is dead, but I am in disbelief that this could happen.

scoop
08-11-2006, 22:41
What a terrible loss for this poor childs family.
There's a link here to the news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6129578.stm

Okka north, I don't think there's anything in that report to suggest that first aid wasn't carried out.

kittenta
08-11-2006, 22:41
How awful for everyone involved. Although we don't actually know whether there was anyone trained to do the 'h' move or not? There was a story about a year ago of a child choking on a grape and even the paramedics couldn't save her.

Strange really but I hated sending my daughter to school with grapes although she loves them as I always feared she would choke on them where I can't see her. They could choke on anything really couldn't they.

My heart goes out to the childs family.

savbaby
08-11-2006, 22:54
How awful for everyone involved. Although we don't actually know whether there was anyone trained to do the 'h' move or not? There was a story about a year ago of a child choking on a grape and even the paramedics couldn't save her.

Strange really but I hated sending my daughter to school with grapes although she loves them as I always feared she would choke on them where I can't see her. They could choke on anything really couldn't they.

My heart goes out to the childs family.
I had a go at my mum for giving my daughter grapes that were not cut as i had heard about this story, luckily i have taught her to bite everytime before she puts it in her mouth so she does not have a full grape. maybe send her with a small tub of halved ones?

As for the child noted above, my thoughts are with the family. It must be awful to lose a child, i dont know how i would cope!

In some cases no matter what is done the object cannot be removed and these things unfortunatly just happen.

Plain Talker
08-11-2006, 23:37
trouble is, if an item (food, pen top or whatever) is small enough for a child to put it in its mouth, then it can, potentially be choked on.

We have to be vigilant.

this story is horrifc, and my sympathies go out to this childs family.

pattricia
08-11-2006, 23:44
God this is an awful story. In brief, this poor child choked while eating lunch at school. She could not be saved. Her poor family.

You send your kids to school thinking that they will be safe and wouldn't even think this could happen.

Why was someone not trained to deal with this sort of thing. My childminder is trained in things like this for children, why wasnt' there someone there trained to do the H move. Sorry can't remember how to spell it. There is first aid training aimed at tending to children and the H move is covered in severe cases of choking. It's where they grab the person and press in just under their ribs to force out something in the throat.

I know I shouldn't be posting this as we don't know what has happened and a child is dead, but I am in disbelief that this could happen.Yes, when my son was a toddler someone gave him a boiled sweet.His face turned blue,as it stuck in his throat.I immediately turned him upside down,and the sweet popped out.

KJ_VENOM
09-11-2006, 00:10
that is tragic my thoughts and prayers are with her family

Shazbat
09-11-2006, 12:57
God this is an awful story. In brief, this poor child choked while eating lunch at school. She could not be saved. Her poor family.

You send your kids to school thinking that they will be safe and wouldn't even think this could happen.

Why was someone not trained to deal with this sort of thing. My childminder is trained in things like this for children, why wasnt' there someone there trained to do the H move. Sorry can't remember how to spell it. There is first aid training aimed at tending to children and the H move is covered in severe cases of choking. It's where they grab the person and press in just under their ribs to force out something in the throat.

I know I shouldn't be posting this as we don't know what has happened and a child is dead, but I am in disbelief that this could happen.

If you read today's update on the BBC website you'll see that the school and then the paramedics carried out extensive first aid before she was taken to hospital.

kittenta
09-11-2006, 13:00
I had a go at my mum for giving my daughter grapes that were not cut as i had heard about this story, luckily i have taught her to bite everytime before she puts it in her mouth so she does not have a full grape. maybe send her with a small tub of halved ones?

As for the child noted above, my thoughts are with the family. It must be awful to lose a child, i dont know how i would cope!

In some cases no matter what is done the object cannot be removed and these things unfortunatly just happen.

I always cut grapes in half now, much to my daughters disgust, she says she's not a baby and doesn't need her food cut up. She either gets them in half or not at all :thumbsup:

pertfoxylush
09-11-2006, 13:02
My thoughts go out to the family of the little girl. :(

cgksheff
09-11-2006, 14:26
If you read today's update on the BBC website you'll see that the school and then the paramedics carried out extensive first aid before she was taken to hospital.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6131394.stm

Twiglet
09-11-2006, 19:02
An ambulance was at the school within 4 minutes. Sadly we have to accept that accidents happen and there was no way she would be saved. Trying to apportion blame does not help anybody and could cause great harm and upset to others.