View Full Version : Buying a used Rover 25 Car

d71146
08-11-2006, 08:37
I have the chance of buying a 2002 Rover 25 iL motor car.

My question is does any of our fellow Forummers own one of these models and could tell me if they are good buy, reliable,or have any known problem areas etc.

Thanks.

gribz
08-11-2006, 08:43
Your best bet is Parkers:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/models/?model=772&

Weeowen
08-11-2006, 08:44
You could have a look at this site.I think thw advice that is given is usuallyb quite good.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

kopman9
08-11-2006, 08:53

My question is does any of our fellow Forummers own one of these models and could tell me if they are good buy, reliable,or have any known problem areas etc.

Thanks.
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, they are poorly built and generally not very good. You would be better going for something like Golf or maybe a Focus if you want something about that size.

Ousetunes
08-11-2006, 09:18
Can't comment on the 25 model but I used to have a 75 and it cost me an absolute fortune in repairs (and it was a bit of a guzzler also).

Sometime last year I spent over 900 after the head gasket blew. A few months later, it happened again and no way was I prepared to spend that kind of money again (in the knowledge that even then, it could go again).

My local garage has recently had a Rover 75 in for the same problem and that car is only three years old. You might also bear in mind that Rover went bust a couple of years ago (so be careful with warranties and so on).

It's a shame because as a family car, the Rover 75 was a nice car. Having said that, the car I'm running now is wonderful and is saving me a fortune (it even sailed through its MOT, surely a first for me!!).

sTaGeWaLkEr
08-11-2006, 09:36
I used to have a Rover 8 series. It was a fantastic looking car but put me off Rover's for life.

I had the head gasket problem too, amongst lots of other mechanical problems.

I won't be in a rush to get another Rover...:rolleyes:

UpTheBlades
08-11-2006, 10:34
Rover- A dog of a car :gag:

rip_dime
08-11-2006, 10:39
if its a 1.4 or 1.8 then it has k series engine in it is one of best engines ever built, designed by honda similar to a vetec with like a 9k redline

andysvan
08-11-2006, 10:46
One word for you... Depreciation

Grandad.Malky
08-11-2006, 10:51
Rover- A dog of a car :gag:

I had a 45 and it definitely was a pup, swore I would never touch another rover, and then they closed

grownsy
08-11-2006, 11:23
if its a 1.4 or 1.8 then it has k series engine in it is one of best engines ever built, designed by honda similar to a vetec with like a 9k redline
Dont be silly, the K series engine is a bag of ******!! major design faults, main one been that ever 30'000 miles the head gasket will go!!

DONT BUY ONE!!

littlebasher
08-11-2006, 12:28
And if only it was just the headgasket

These rovers run with so little water in the engine, when the headgasket inevitably fails, by the time you've noticed the engine has lost all its water (i.e. come to a stop) it will have cooked itself good and proper.

Those who choose to replace the failed headgasket normally discover this when the new one fails a few thousand miles later, or realise it now burns oil when it didnt before :confused:

Leave well alone

Trickle
08-11-2006, 12:45
Its like any other car. A good buy if its at the right price.

Its interior (would bother me but others are obsessed with interior quality) is out of date in all senses. Materials, rear head/leg room and build quality in coparison to period competitors. Performance was above par, but as discussed above marred by reliability concerns.

However if its significantly cheaper than, say, a much older higher mileage bottom specced/engined mk3 golf then it would still be on your list to consider.

waldershelf
08-11-2006, 13:15

Thanks.
Mrs Waldershelf bought a new 1.1 S reg, did over 50k miles in it with no problems other than it required starter motor at 40k miles she replaced that with a new 52 plate 1.4 ran it for over 50k miles no problems at all, she has just replaced it again this time with a Renault Clio. If Rover were still in business she would have had another 25. The cars were reliable, did not rust, the 1.4 went very well was nice to drive and was quite economical. I wonder how many of the people telling you what rubbish cars they have actually owned one.
Its a shame we don't have a car industry in this country anymore.

Aamer
08-11-2006, 14:23
I bought a rover 25 for my wife, x reg with only 33k miles for 1800. I thought that was vey good value for money, as it looks good, drives well and for now has been realiable.

rip_dime
09-11-2006, 10:40
Dont be silly, the K series engine is a bag of ******!! major design faults, main one been that ever 30'000 miles the head gasket will go!!

DONT BUY ONE!!

thats cos it principlly a high reving performance engine

what engine do lot us use oh yeah a 1.8 k series, good engine

Annoni_mouse
09-11-2006, 12:12

DONT BUY ONE!!

Thats not entirely true.

The K-series, had it had the money invested in it, would have been superb engine.

The major fault with it was because it became over-developed. It was only originally intended to be a relatively small capacity engine, no larger than 1400cc, but because of the financial restraints MGR were working under, it was gradually increased in capacity beyond what it was intended for.

Having said that, head gasket failure is by no means inevitable-there are a number of precautions that can be taken which significently reduce the risk of that happening.Some K-series go for 100,000 miles + with no problems, others dont.

You pays your money etc...

LibertyBell
09-11-2006, 12:21
What about spare parts for Rovers. Is that a problem now they are defunct?

Annoni_mouse
09-11-2006, 12:27
What about spare parts for Rovers. Is that a problem now they are defunct?

Nope, at least ive never had a problem buying parts(MG).

What you have to remember is that there are so many Rovers still on the road, that parts will remain reasonably plentifull for the time being at least.

waldershelf
09-11-2006, 13:09
Thats not entirely true.

The K-series, had it had the money invested in it, would have been superb engine.

The major fault with it was because it became over-developed. It was only originally intended to be a relatively small capacity engine, no larger than 1400cc, but because of the financial restraints MGR were working under, it was gradually increased in capacity beyond what it was intended for.

Having said that, head gasket failure is by no means inevitable-there are a number of precautions that can be taken which significently reduce the risk of that happening.Some K-series go for 100,000 miles + with no problems, others dont.

You pays your money etc...
I am sure what you say is true, I think it's only the 1.8 engines that suffer from premature head gasket failure

Annoni_mouse
09-11-2006, 13:14
I am sure what you say is true, I think it's only the 1.8 engines that suffer from premature head gasket failure

Yeah, the smaller engine seem no more fragile than any other engine of that type.

LibertyBell
09-11-2006, 13:17
Nope, at least ive never had a problem buying parts(MG).

What you have to remember is that there are so many Rovers still on the road, that parts will remain reasonably plentifull for the time being at least.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

rip_dime
09-11-2006, 13:31

DONT BUY ONE!!

all engines can suffer from head gasket faliure that don't make em bad

cosworth engines after be rebuilt every 10k miles- are they bad engines er no their one of the best ever built, same with red tops and rotary engines

emmabemma
18-11-2006, 17:49
i'm also thinking of buying one. seems like a bargain, low miles etc but i read on "what car" that if you hear tapping when started from cold walk away as a major repair is on the way. the one i test drove today did that but like i said it had low miles and full rover serv history. any one know what the problem could be? also how nippy are they coz this one seemed a bit wet

Superlative
18-11-2006, 18:42

Thanks.
DONT DO IT......get a toyota Yaris or a Nissan Micra.

UnkleBob
18-11-2006, 22:55
as much as i like the cuddly shape of the 25/214 i wouldn't bargepole one either, the head gasket is made of cheese and when the car gets a sweat on it melts and the water goes into the engine and ruins it, big bills, bargain or not, leave it. Find an honest high mileage german thing, keep it well serviced, have the timing belt done, and save your money.
my car has 206,000 + miles and i won't swap it for anything.

Roverguest
11-09-2010, 16:49
ACTUALLY!!, IF your headgasket goes the if you shop around you can get it done for about 3-400. If you have AA parts cover then if it goes then that will cover it and will be repaired.

IF you have a new headgasket and it goes again then it sounds like the garage you used wasn't very good and either didn't skim the head [gasket wouldn't seal properly and so would go] or didnt repair the initial cause [eg a leak in acoolant hose etc..] or didnt upgrade it to the much better MLS type.

I am not denying the MG Rover gasket problem but with the right knowledge [Enthusiast sites like mg-rover.org] help and expertise then you will be able to keep your Rover in top shape. Instead of listening to the 'normal people' opinions and non-expert views as regarding repairs etc...

From mg-rover.org I have learnt much information about my car [Im 18!], the engines and how to fix the problem, and in most cases if your pretty competent with a spanner then you can most likely do it yourself [apart from if you need the head need skimming(not always) ] from about 150 - 200 cost of parts and head skimming. No lie.

The right care for your mg or rover will ensure the longest life possible of your gasket, although if a local and trusted garage [go by recommendation or check on mg-rover.org for local trusted garages] fits a MLS gasket if will almost guaranteed NEVER FAIL!

Care such as;
- DON't rev engine hard before it is up to normal temp, although that doesnt mean you can't give it then beans once it is! :D

- Always let the engine warm up properly when doing short journeys, even if you have to go round the block once or twice.

- WEEKLY check coolant levels, as small undetectable leaks [such as perished hoses and coolant dissolving through them, not even dripping] might lead to overheating.

PLEASE do not make pre judgemental views on these cars, generally they are nice cars to be in and drive - I know some people can't deny that the touch of class isn't nice. Fair enough you will get good and bad cars, but that is like EVERY brand. I know someone with a 59 reg Vauxhall insignia whose gearbox blew up when 6 months old!! and a Nissan Quashcai that electric windows jammed and had brake problems when nearly new!!!

PLEASE, IF IN DOUBT, DON'T LISTEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC VIEWS, AT LEAST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT THESE CARS!

Many Thanks
David

mg-rover.org

P.S German cars are't actually that good [not as good as they used to be], get Japanese if in doubt! [Does that sound biased to you?]

cooljules
11-09-2010, 18:45
i'm also thinking of buying one. seems like a bargain, low miles etc but i read on "what car" that if you hear tapping when started from cold walk away as a major repair is on the way. the one i test drove today did that but like i said it had low miles and full rover serv history. any one know what the problem could be? also how nippy are they coz this one seemed a bit wet
i wouldnt have one, and i know enough people who wouldnt touch one.....
ACTUALLY!!, IF your headgasket goes the if you shop around you can get it done for about 3-400. If you have AA parts cover then if it goes then that will cover it and will be repaired.

IF you have a new headgasket and it goes again then it sounds like the garage you used wasn't very good and either didn't skim the head [gasket wouldn't seal properly and so would go] or didnt repair the initial cause [eg a leak in acoolant hose etc..] or didnt upgrade it to the much better MLS type.

I am not denying the MG Rover gasket problem but with the right knowledge [Enthusiast sites like mg-rover.org] help and expertise then you will be able to keep your Rover in top shape. Instead of listening to the 'normal people' opinions and non-expert views as regarding repairs etc...

From mg-rover.org I have learnt much information about my car [Im 18!], the engines and how to fix the problem, and in most cases if your pretty competent with a spanner then you can most likely do it yourself [apart from if you need the head need skimming(not always) ] from about 150 - 200 cost of parts and head skimming. No lie.

The right care for your mg or rover will ensure the longest life possible of your gasket, although if a local and trusted garage [go by recommendation or check on mg-rover.org for local trusted garages] fits a MLS gasket if will almost guaranteed NEVER FAIL!

Care such as;
- DON't rev engine hard before it is up to normal temp, although that doesnt mean you can't give it then beans once it is! :D

- Always let the engine warm up properly when doing short journeys, even if you have to go round the block once or twice.

- WEEKLY check coolant levels, as small undetectable leaks [such as perished hoses and coolant dissolving through them, not even dripping] might lead to overheating.

PLEASE do not make pre judgemental views on these cars, generally they are nice cars to be in and drive - I know some people can't deny that the touch of class isn't nice. Fair enough you will get good and bad cars, but that is like EVERY brand. I know someone with a 59 reg Vauxhall insignia whose gearbox blew up when 6 months old!! and a Nissan Quashcai that electric windows jammed and had brake problems when nearly new!!!

PLEASE, IF IN DOUBT, DON'T LISTEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC VIEWS, AT LEAST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT THESE CARS!

Many Thanks
David

mg-rover.org

P.S German cars are't actually that good [not as good as they used to be], get Japanese if in doubt! [Does that sound biased to you?]

what a load of crap......................

the engines fail, badly put together, the whole build is bad....want me to continue?

so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt..............

and yes, i have had lots of Toyota's also, so i can talk about them too, again, a engine lasts 10 times as long (and i raced and high revved them all the time)

also i like it you have never been on here before (it happens) but you picked that name.........

i have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

keithwbb
11-09-2010, 21:30
Cooljules wrote-so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt.............. have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you also tell everyone,that the Rover 75 Diesel version,has a BMW engine in it?,or did that fact escape you?.

Roverguest
13-09-2010, 06:48
Just yesterday I know someone with a 52reg BMW 523 with 48k on it and the alternator exploded! He has also had a new radiator and cooling system? Is that good for 'German reliability'?

As well as most of the VWs and such i see broken down on the motorway. I saw a 57 reg Passat Estate broken down the other day??? In a average 2-3 hour motorway journey, I prob see 6-7 broken down cars, usually most German (BMW, Merc, Skoda, VW, Audi etc...) perhaps but not always 1 or 2 Rovers, and mostly French.

Do, watch out on your motoway journeys for broken down cars, I actually see very little Rover, but I'm not denying that I don't see any!

Roverguest
13-09-2010, 06:49
i wouldnt have one, and i know enough people who wouldnt touch one.....

what a load of crap......................

the engines fail, badly put together, the whole build is bad....want me to continue?

so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt..............

and yes, i have had lots of Toyota's also, so i can talk about them too, again, a engine lasts 10 times as long (and i raced and high revved them all the time)

also i like it you have never been on here before (it happens) but you picked that name.........

i have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

Ive seen a Rover 75 on ebay with 735k miles!! There was even a photo of the speedo and I even emailed the guy to check it wasnt a typo on the ad too! Ive also seen a Metro with 260k!

I only found this thread through searching something else through Google and thought it was rather unfair as the majority of people on my forums have happy motoring. I didn't say you couldn't high rev a Rover, infact the K series engines thrive on being revved, but like WITH ANY CAR/ENGINE, as a good owner you should never rev hard when cold, its like pouring sand down the bores!

I too would agree with the Toyota's, they are superb cars and I dont believe most of this recall **** tbh, they are still some of the most reliable cars in the world, my Dad has a Toyota Avensis. My name comes from what I am called on various other forums. Whether or not I just joined or not has no relation to my point of view or knowledge, so dont try that one.

ALSO, the the BMW 1 series was originally destined to be a ROVER!!! Until BMW took the design etc.. when they sold off Rover and then offered it back to them for money BMW knew Rover didn't have!

Electric power steering, now on 90% of modern and new cars was invented by 'Powertrain' at Rover in Longbridge and stolen by BMW!

Im not 100% on this, but I know for a fact the previous Corsa [and whatever cars share its engine type] suffer with HGF and as well as Fiat Puntos also so they are not the only cars that do it!

As for spares, they are plentyful, with 2 very large companies selling New Old Stock [Rimmer Bros and Xpart] as well as other cars in scrap yards you can never not find a part. I have a bloody Rover Metro and Iv'e never had trouble finding parts, that car has been out of production for 13 years!

As for depreciation, they likelihood is you wouldn't pay much for an MGR these days so you would not loose much anyway and it would be like any other car of 1.5 - 3k.

cooljules
13-09-2010, 08:22
well sorry for my rant the other day, just got back from a wedding and was half sozzled...but i still say Rovers are crap.

I drive often all over Europe, and i still see most of the broken down cars (i dont mean flat tyres etc) are Rover or French stuff.

All my BMWs, and this one had high milage, this one has nealry half a million Km on it. I would never trust a Rover to do 3000 miles in a couple of weeks in a trip a few times a year.

BMW's had a problem, they were fitted with plastic impellors in the water pump, so would fail at around 120/160,000 miles, i know i had 5 but always changed them to metal ones.

Rovers are so badly put together, like done by monkey's, bad built quality etc etc.

I spent many years with Toyotas, esp ones from the 70's and the engines just run and run.....

would never have anything french, or Rover and yes i have driven my fair share of british cars, BL onwards.....

ah there was also a fault on Toyota Supras years ago, the head bolts stretched...

oh so whats the safety rating for a rover........................

Roverguest
13-09-2010, 12:45
A Rover 25 is a 3 start Euro N cap rating, which is pretty average, considering it dates back to about 1996. Most cars nowadays are only 4 and the minority are 5 stars.

The thing about Rovers are that they are great value for second-hand purchase. For the price you pay, you can get a small, mid or large family car for cheaper than it main rival and most of the time loaded with a lot of kit.

Im still not convinced about a 52 reg 523 BMW with the alternator exploding and needing a new radiator and cooling system a couple of months ago with 42k on it!

I'm not going to continue arguing with you as you will not move from your point of view, and neither will I. I just hope people will look at my first post, take on my information and advice and make their own choice.

For anyone who would like expert and/ or enthusiast advice or help. Feel free to log on to;

mg-rover.org

Bedders
13-09-2010, 14:04
It is with sad regret, as i always like to promote british manufacturing.....but stick with Japanese. Fact is.....and this is fact....the Top 7 of the Top 10 most reliable cars are JAPANESE!

Rover are in the least reliable section....not my words....see the report here....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/motoring/article.html?in_article_id=507837&in_page_id=53949&ct=5

At least some of the Japenese brands are made here in the UK.:thumbsup:

mike84
13-09-2010, 16:12
Didn't have any problems with our rover 200, decent car for the money. If you look after them, most importantly check the coolant level regularly for any loss.

The k-series engine doesn't have a large coolant capacity
so a loss of coolant could be a disaster in terms of the head gasket going.

The interior Is a bit dated, remember it started life in 1996 and didn't really change until 2003/2004 just as rover went under.

As a second hand buy they are good value, look for service history, and the usual stuff.

GrannyGranny
13-09-2010, 16:34
Roverquest - I have never seen that many cars broken down on an average 2-3 hour journey.

I've never seen a Ferrari Enzo broken down, ever, so that must be the most reliable car in the world!

cooljules
13-09-2010, 17:17
how many rovers get to 42k without problems......i happily buy bmw's close to 200k on, safe, mod cons, power and comfy to drive a 1000 miles in a day..

cooljules
13-09-2010, 17:18
It is with sad regret, as i always like to promote british manufacturing.....but stick with Japanese. Fact is.....and this is fact....the Top 7 of the Top 10 most reliable cars are JAPANESE!

Rover are in the least reliable section....not my words....see the report here....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/motoring/article.html?in_article_id=507837&in_page_id=53949&ct=5

At least some of the Japenese brands are made here in the UK.:thumbsup:

i wouldnt give my worst enemy a rover.....................

Snook
13-09-2010, 17:24
i wouldnt give my worst enemy a rover.....................

I used to work in a Rover dealer, and neither would I. Nobody who worked there had a Rover! If you can afford it, get something Japanese.

cooljules
13-09-2010, 17:25
I used to work in a Rover dealer, and neither would I. Nobody who worked there had a Rover! If you can afford it, get something Japanese.

well you cant say fairer than that!!!!!

mike84
13-09-2010, 23:34
how many rovers get to 42k without problems......i happily buy bmw's close to 200k on, safe, mod cons, power and comfy to drive a 1000 miles in a day..

Ours had got 120k on when we sold it, we did 30k of those and we just had it serviced and 2 Tyres. Not bad in my book.

In comparison my brothers BMW 3 series head gasket failed has needed alternator, had a water pump fail, track rod ends and a fly wheel.

A well maintained rover 25 will last a long time, you only have to look at how many 200's and 25's are on the road.

The K series was / is a good engine let down by the small coolant capacity.

Lotus and caterham seemed to like it and used the k for a number of years in the Elise and 7 models of there cars I believe.

alchresearch
14-09-2010, 10:03
My Rover 200 (same 25 bubble shape) was a great bargain. Because of all the head gasket scares the owner could barely give it away. In the years I had it I only needed to replace the brakes and tyres. It was comfy, reliable and very cheap to run. I think I bought it at 26K and sold it at 78k miles.

james_t
14-09-2010, 11:59
Isnt the 1.8 the engine that was used in the MGF 2 seater ? I know a few people who have had head gasket problems with those.

cooljules
14-09-2010, 12:01
Ours had got 120k on when we sold it, we did 30k of those and we just had it serviced and 2 Tyres. Not bad in my book.

In comparison my brothers BMW 3 series head gasket failed has needed alternator, had a water pump fail, track rod ends and a fly wheel.

A well maintained rover 25 will last a long time, you only have to look at how many 200's and 25's are on the road.

The K series was / is a good engine let down by the small coolant capacity.

Lotus and caterham seemed to like it and used the k for a number of years in the Elise and 7 models of there cars I believe.

then lotus fitted the very good, reliable toyota engine

cooljules
14-09-2010, 12:01
Isnt the 1.8 the engine that was used in the MGF 2 seater ? I know a few people who have had head gasket problems with those.

yup...........

alchresearch
14-09-2010, 12:29

Yep, that and the Freelander.

That engine is quote a mystery. I've known 'F' owners who've driven their baby carefully from new and had failure, and sometimes failure after failure. And then there are those who've driven it really hard and never had a problem.

truman
14-09-2010, 12:56

Wasn't that because of the K series' inability to meet the emission targets in the U.S. and a supply issue in the death throes of Rover... the Toyota wasn't without it's problems either..

alchresearch
14-09-2010, 12:59
Interesting read about the K series engine here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_K_engine

denlin
14-09-2010, 13:13
Mrs Waldershelf bought a new 1.1 S reg, did over 50k miles in it with no problems other than it required starter motor at 40k miles she replaced that with a new 52 plate 1.4 ran it for over 50k miles no problems at all, she has just replaced it again this time with a Renault Clio. If Rover were still in business she would have had another 25. The cars were reliable, did not rust, the 1.4 went very well was nice to drive and was quite economical. I wonder how many of the people telling you what rubbish cars they have actually owned one.
Its a shame we don't have a car industry in this country anymore.

We had a 1988 Peugeot 305 which we put through 5 annual tests and it passed every one including emissions. the bodywork and engine were superb and it had 198000 miles on the clock, did 55 to gallon(1.9 diesel) and we would still have it now but for the fact my husband was waiting patiently at red lights looked in the mirror and realised the car approaching from rear wasn't going to stop in time and braced himself for impact. the other mans insurance company wouldn't pay for repairs to rear door as said would cost more than car was worth and we had to part with our classic car. Beware Saga insurance.

james_t
14-09-2010, 13:18
Not really to do with Rover but more to do with reliability..take a look at

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Interesting to note that the bottom 10 cars are mostly so called prestige cars...

Consumer
16-09-2010, 11:28
Whatever car you are buying make sure you know your rights. Clear and practical advice on buying cars can be found at consumerdirect.gov.uk/cars

Number Six
16-09-2010, 11:31
what engine do lotus use oh yeah a 1.8 k series, good engine

You beat me too it. Such a shame it's no longer possible to extol the reliability of a mechanical item with reference to the argument 'it must be reliable because Lotus use it'!