Would anyone let me observe their baby??

Hi there, unusual request I know, but I have to find a baby to observe as part of my Masters degree. I need to find a family who would be willing to let me observe their baby for an hour a week for (gulp..) two years. I am doing a Masters in Infant Observation, at the Northern School of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, based in leeds. I have to find a family I don't know, who are either going to give birth imminently, or who have a baby under 4 weeks old. If anyone is interested, please give me a call for more info or to ask questions - no obligation to go for it! My number is 0114 2784865 or e-mail me at joyfrench@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks!

Hi Joy - Perhaps it would help if you posted details of your course and a contact of your tutor where anyone who would be prepared to let you observe their child could contact them to verify this. You could also offer a CRB check/references.

You could also give more information about what exactly and when you would be observing, what your hypothesis is and what you are wanting to achieve in your studies.

I.e any particular time of day?

Eating/sleeping/sociliasing/outings etc. My baby is now 10 weeks old - but these would be the sorts of questions I would be asking anyone wanting to study my family!!!

Hope this helps - but I know how difficult it can be to find research subjects and the more information you offer, the easier it tends to be!

Hi Liose,

Thanks for your reply. It is a massive thing to ask, so it is understandable for people to feel unsure without more information. Basically, if there is anyone out there who is interested, (or knows anyone who might be), I have a letter from my course tutors which explains more about the observation, which I would be happy to e-mail to any interested parties. Also, I am CRB checked, and would happily show this to any prospective observation family. The observation itself is about every aspect of a baby's life. I would want to watch the baby in whatever they would be doing in that hour, (Which would ideally be the same time each week, agreed between me and the family). The course is the pre-clinical training for child psychotherapy, and part of what I am learning is how to think about a childs state of mind, and how that impacts on my own feelings. I am really just wanting to be a fly on the wall, watching the ups and downs of everyday family life. If anyone is wanting to know more about the course itself, then they could check out the course website. I can't post the url, but if you google "Northern School of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy", you will be able to find it. Hope that the extra info helps. On a last note, although it is a massive committment to be observed for 2 years, many people do say that they really enjoy the observation, and find it thought provoking. One woman on my course is there because her eldest daughter was observed, and she loved it so much!

Thanks for reading, and if anyone is interested, do get in touch. (details above!)

Joy French