What makes a classic car ,well a classic car

how do you define a classic car? what makes them a classic? age?rare?oddball?

anybody have any ideas?

for me if theres a following/car club in tow then its a classic

well i drive a 1995 mgf 1.8 vvci and insure it on a classic car insurance policy but many people disagree with it being a classic car.

We have a 1984 Sierra XR4i insured on a classic policy and a 1980 Fiesta. We personally believe them both to be classics, however some people disagree.

At least 10 years old - the greater the production numbers, the older the car will need to be to become a classic.

rarity helps - either through low production or age related 'natural wastage

desirability - when new helps

provenance - of an individual car helps.

i have a 1986 merc 300ce , will this ever become a classic ???

Edited by itsmyfault

It will if there are not too many of them around.

One of my classics is a Land Rover! If a Landie can be a classic there are few bounds!

Throw in a little nostalgia and anything can become a classic.

I consider Out of production cars to be Classics :thumbsup:

Biggsy :)

It do depends on how you judge the word ' classic', cos some people may think a Peel P50 is a classic while other may think that's just a piece of junk anyways...

So, for a general terms of 'classic' that most people would accept, they should be:

1), The influence, the way of how it changed people's understanding of cars. Examples: Ford Type-T, VW beetle, original Mini..

2), The uniqueness in mechanical design, which make the car like no others. Examples: Porsche 911, Citroën 2CV.

3), A timeless good looking, by all means. Examples: Jaguar E-type, Ferrari Daytona, Citroën DS

4), Historical events they used to take part in, well, most of these might be racing. Example: Ford GT40

-----------

I don't say rareness is a necessary term of a classic car, but it is an important consideration for a valuable car. Well, most of the classic cars now are expensive and valuable, but not all the expensive old cars can called classics..

Also, it don't have to be old, since the words here isn't 'vintage car'. Again lot of these classics are good old cars, but sometimes quite a recent car can be a classic as well. Example: Mazda/ Autozam AZ1, Mazda RX7, Honda NSX.

Edited by sazabi2001