Disability allowance.

Has anyone one else had problems sorting there disability allowance out? We put a claim in for disabilty months ago to get a letter back saying my son isn't entitled to it as he isn't down as disabled.I don't know how they worked that out as he is going to ryegate 3 days a week and is autistic. We asked for it to be looked at again and they said they would but we still haven't heard anything.It wouldn't be so bad but the claim was sent in in april when he was diagnosed. Have any of you had problems with this? :help:

Which benefit is it? Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

Appeals about benefits can take a while, but I'm not sure how long DLA ones normally take. I'd call the office you sent the appeal to and see if they can let you know what's happening.

Is it Childrens DLA? You could ask someone at Ryegate to help you with your claim or your local Citizens advice bureau will definitely help. 2480043 the number for South East Sheffield Citizens advice

Which benefit is it? Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

Yeah it is :)

Is it Childrens DLA? You could ask someone at Ryegate to help you with your claim or your local Citizens advice bureau will definitely help.

Yeah it is sorry i should have put that :loopy::hihi:

Is it Childrens DLA? You could ask someone at Ryegate to help you with your claim or your local Citizens advice bureau will definitely help.

CAB would certainly help, but I'd just call the office first.

Did you get a professional to give a report, someone from Rygate perhaps? Whenever my son has had his review I have always got his neurologist, teacher of the deaf etc to put a report in as well. This seems to hold some sway. I would advise you to speak to Rygate and ask them what to do.

We asked them to contact ryegate which they did the total opposite and contacted our gp. But my son isn't under the gp for it so they said he isn't down as disabled.

When I claimed DLA for my son, we were turned down because they didn't have a clue about his condition ~ they didn't contact any of the professionals. I wrote back to them, asking that they look at the claim again, and he was granted middle rate DLA.

Why doesn't Ryegate liaise with your GP? That sounds a bit odd to me.

Being registered disabled should have nothing to do with a DLA claim ~ DLA is based on the disability, not on whether your son is registered or not. Now that you have asked for the claim to be looked at again (this isn't an appeal btw ~ that will come if they do turn you down this time), the Benefits Agency should contact the relevant professionals. That is what's taking the time because, until those professionals actually reply to the request, there is not a lot that the Benefits Agency can do.

A friend of mine has been trying to claim DLA for some time now, but the professionals didn't reply to the requests, so a medical officer from the Benefits Agency made a home visit last week. Now she has to wait for that report to be looked at, etc.

No matter how long it actually takes, when DLA is granted, it will be backdated to the date of claim, so you won't lose anything that way.

We asked them to contact ryegate which they did the total opposite and contacted our gp. But my son isn't under the gp for it so they said he isn't down as disabled.

DSS Benefits office = useless.. :rant:

We did have a medical officer came out but because my child looks normal and the gp said he isn't registered they still say no! I have given them contact numbers for ryegate and also a fax number. How hard can it be?