How to take cuttings and plant ivy?!

i have some ivy growing at the end of the garden but not a lot and only at one side. me and my neighbour would like to take a few cuttings to plant along back fence, hopefully to grow and cover fence. but no idea how to go about it. even google can't tell me!

someone has said that if we cut some off, a piece with a few leaves on, then roll into a ball and bury it! it should grow, is this right?

or does anyone have some better knowledge?

Just cut a healthy strand off, strip the cut end of leaves about 2 inches, then stick it in compost. I did about 8 cuttings in one small pot of compost (I cheated and used rooting powder :blush:), but I'm sure it'd work planted straight into the ground - it's very sturdy stuff is ivy.

Don't know if the is the "right" way, but it worked a treat for me!

hi,

well ive been quite successful taking cuttings of various things in our garden.:) Ivy has got to be one of the easiest - if you look along the undeneath of the stem on the ivy you might be able to see little roots that grow out - this helps it to grip onto walls and hedging.

If you cut the stem where there are quite afew of the these roots growing then strip the leaves from the stem around the roots then this should be fine to plant. Doing it this way you shoudnt need to buy any rooting powder - if you have any trouble just get back to me

i mean sometimes it might be better if you take atleast 5 cuttings to make sure atleast one of them take root - jus give them some tender loving care (maybe a greenhouse at this time of year though saying that the weather seems pretty gud:hihi: )

I'm not much of a gardner but once I used some longish ivy strands in a flower arrangement and the little roots grew down into the water and so I planted them out afterwards. The thugs have taken over five years down the line!

So I'd leave them in a bottle of water for a week to let the roots grow a little and then plant them out in the garden or in a tub.

Ivy is the easiest plant to root and the first cutting I ever took as a child. Cut a length probably 3-6 inch long but this is up to you, strip off the lower leaf and stick in some compost. Alternatively it will root in a cup of water on the windowsill. Things that help plants to root are rooting hormone powder, also making a little cloche by putting a plastic bag over the cutting and the pot. Both of these things are unnecessary with ivy as it roots easily. You will know when its taken as you will get fresh new growth.

I have had some ivy in my garden for a couple of years now. Im trying to get it to grow up a bird table but the damn thing simply refuses to grow. It was eight inches long when I first planted it and its still the same length.

I have had some ivy in my garden for a couple of years now. Im trying to get it to grow up a bird table but the damn thing simply refuses to grow. It was eight inches long when I first planted it and its still the same length.

I understand that certain types are quite slow growing, others grow quickly and are suitable for a ground cover etc. What sort is it?

I understand that certain types are quite slow growing, others grow quickly and are suitable for a ground cover etc. What sort is it?

Im not sure to be honest, but my neighbour gave it to me and the ivy she has from the same plant is all over her front wall and it took only months to get there.

Im assuming that there isnt much sun for it because its in a north facing part of the garden so it looks as if Im going to have to move it next year.

Its either the conditions that arent right or the particular variety isnt right for the purpose. Ivies should tolerate shade according to my gardening books. But some varieties will only grow to 3 foot because they are slow growing, others grow very tall and cover ground quickly. Its a case of getting the right one.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Im going to have to go to the garden center. I love visiting those places and I now have the perfect excuse!

Have a scout round one or two parks and see if the type of ivy you want is included in their planting scheme. I (ahem) acquired an ivy this way once!

thanks everyone, i'm just on my way outside now to cut some cuttings and see what happens!!

:thumbsup: