Looking For Apple Crates

OK, next on my hit list - Apple crates, or similar.

I've got a fascination for wooden crates and can think of hundreds of uses for them on my allotment, but haven't managed to find any yet. Ideally I'd like them for free (of course) ... any ideas ?

I did think about wine crates, but according to my 'winey' friend they're too expensive now and only used for exceptional / expensive wine.

I keep scouring the supermarkets, but everything is plastic crates / cardboard now - although M&S have started to use wooden crates to give their stores more of a rustic / market feel ..

I've got a fascination for wooden crates and can think of hundreds of uses for them on my allotment, but haven't managed to find any yet. Ideally I'd like them for free (of course) ... any ideas ?

I did think about wine crates, but according to my 'winey' friend they're too expensive now and only used for exceptional / expensive wine.

I keep scouring the supermarkets, but everything is plastic crates / cardboard now - although M&S have started to use wooden crates to give their stores more of a rustic / market feel ..

I would have thought any open vegetable market.Ive been down The Moor today and there are vegetable stalls at the bottom,but didnt notice if they had any wooden crates.What exactly do you use them for ? Is it storage,so things dont sweat ?

You could make your own out of old weathered wood then you could make different sizes, also they would be one of a kind.

You could make your own out of old weathered wood then you could make different sizes, also they would be one of a kind.

What is weathered wood ? and where would you get it from ?

well, I'd like to grow things in them - flowers and veg, they just look so attractive and yes, also for storage.

Mmm, like the idea of making my own ... I'm currently doing a woodwork course at Castle College, so could get some tips from my tutor on best way to assemble. If anyone spots any wood in skips, please shout me (loudly).

Do you think that market stall holders will reuse the crates or throw them away ? Next time I'm passing through the Moor I'll have a closer look.

What is weathered wood ? and where would you get it from ?

Wood thats been out in the weather, drift wood, on that line, you have to do some searching for it yourself though, craft shops sell fake weathered wood for hobbies.

well, I'd like to grow things in them - flowers and veg, they just look so attractive and yes, also for storage.

Mmm, like the idea of making my own ... I'm currently doing a woodwork course at Castle College, so could get some tips from my tutor on best way to assemble. If anyone spots any wood in skips, please shout me (loudly).

Do you think that market stall holders will reuse the crates or throw them away ? Next time I'm passing through the Moor I'll have a closer look.

Dont know,but next time I go down I will ask them what they do with them.Thanks Poppins for your reply as well.

WICKES AFTER CANKLOW ROUNDABOUT (ROVVREM) HAVE A SKIP WITH PALLETS IN - FREE

HELP YOURSLEF!!!! :thumbsup:

Just Natural fruit shop in Crookes always has lots of wooden trays stacked outside, the owner is really nice. I asked for some as I was moving a lot of plants between houses, and he told me to help myself to as many as I wanted as they only go in the bin. He has them all stacked up outside the shop, so you can just pop round in the evening.

Plantabox offer bespoke stencilled wooden crates in a variety of colours for indoors and out... visit www . plantabox . com

Good luck!

Just Natural fruit shop in Crookes always has lots of wooden trays stacked outside, the owner is really nice. I asked for some as I was moving a lot of plants between houses, and he told me to help myself to as many as I wanted as they only go in the bin. He has them all stacked up outside the shop, so you can just pop round in the evening.

Yep walked past there tonight and there were about half a dozen there. Nigel (the owner) is happy for people to take them and use them any time, also recommends the polystyrene boxes as cool boxes. I use the wooden boxes for growing my salad leaves in and also transporting plants around between home and allotment,

Rob

ooo, thanks Rob.