Breastfeeding focus group

Hi There!

Are you a woman who has breastfed, is breastfeeding or plans to breastfeed? I am organising a focus groups to discuss issues relating to breastfeeding and I would love you to be involved. Ideally I will run two focus groups, each with 6 women in it.

If you are interested, please private message me or respond to this thread.

Many Thanks

Bea Marshall

breastfeeding is fabulous for the health of the baby, but until you've done it and had trouble, you don't realise how hard it can be. i stopped breastfeeding as my health and the health of my daughter was suffering. i intend to breastfeed the next baby i have, but i think i have a better idea of when to stop next time if it does go bad.

as you're running a breastfeeding group, could you please try to make the ladies understand that whilst breastfeeding is best, it isn't the end of the world if it isn't possible. i felt under so much pressure to breastfeed that i kept going when i really shouldn't have - as i said, both of our healths were suffering (baby spent 3 days with a tube up her nose being fed that way at the children's hospital - retrospectively, it should never have come to that. when it was becoming clear that i couldn't produce enough milk to feed her i should have been advised to supplement with formula, not encouraged to keep breastfeeding (which was at that time taking 12+ hours per day with her attached to the boob - a 2 handed and full concentration job, coupled with near-constant mastitis and very very little sleep). formula has it's place for SOME people, although it's fantastic if you don't need it). Obviously it's fantastic if you can breastfeed, but be aware that your HVs and midwives will support you to breastfeed if you want to, when maybe it isn't in your best interest. don't give up too easily, but keep it in perspective - if you relationship with your child is suffering, and either or both of your health, it's OK to stop, even though you then have to put up with the criticism you will almost certainly get from unexpected quarters for stopping.

I think i am hoping to - but its still 7 mths away yet.

I find these groups and help days etc are ran in a day which i can not attend as i work full time!

I must find out how much time my employer has to give me off for these sort of things - he is being very good so far!

I'm so sorry you had such a hard time with brestfeeding. I have heard other stories of mums who felt under pressure to keep at the breastfeeding and in hindsight they think the pressure actually made it worse. Thank you so much for sharing your story - i expect there are a lot of women who have struggled and not received the wisdom and support that was needed.

Just to make clear - I am not starting up a breastfeeding group. I am trying to organise a couple of focus groups to discuss names for a range of clothing designed especially for breastfeeding mothers. It doesn't matter if people's experiences with breastfeeding have not been as they had expected for mothers to be involved with these focus groups. I hope that the groups will include women from diverse backgrounds and experiences.

Hi Bea (I think I've met you under a different guise and you gave me some baby items before your second child arrived.)

It sounds like an interesting idea you've got - I hope you'll remember to think of mums feeding twins.

Perhaps you could come to Jellytots and speak to some mums there?

interesting you should mention twins! my friend has 3 week old twins and is desperate for my first sample to be made. as i tandem feed my two it is something i've been really aware of in my designs.

i'd love to come and chat to your group when I am near launching - can you PM me with the details of how i can get in touch, when you meet etc.

Yep, no problem, will do :)

Hi there,

I breastfed my son for over two years and would be happy to take part - I assume you mean a cyberspace focus group ?

Willing to take part. Am breastfeeding my first child now (4 months) and its going. Let me know whats happening and where.