More fungi pictures to identify

Since I wasn't able to go on the fungi foray in Glen Howe Park, I thought I'd post up some pictures of some that we found a couple of weeks earlier (15th September, so probably all long disintegrated by now). On that thread I mentioned there was a good walk which starts from Glen Howe Park: it's actually no. 8 in Sheffield Council's Walks around Bradfield series of leaflets, and goes around More Hall reservoir. We found all these (and more besides) on that walk. These are the ones that came out in focus anyway (apart from one). The group of fungi growing on the tree was the only one taken in the park itself.

If anybody can tell me what they all are, by all means do.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/metallicist/Fungi_15th_September/

how can i tell the difference between nice tasty mushrooms, magic mushrooms and toadstools???

Since I wasn't able to go on the fungi foray in Glen Howe Park, I thought I'd post up some pictures of some that we found a couple of weeks earlier (15th September, so probably all long disintegrated by now). On that thread I mentioned there was a good walk which starts from Glen Howe Park: it's actually no. 8 in Sheffield Council's Walks around Bradfield series of leaflets, and goes around More Hall reservoir. We found all these (and more besides) on that walk. These are the ones that came out in focus anyway (apart from one). The group of fungi growing on the tree was the only one taken in the park itself.

If anybody can tell me what they all are, by all means do.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/metallicist/Fungi_15th_September/

Its never advisable to identify fungi from photos or pictures bacause in order to do the thing correctly you need to know about the trees in the area the funus is growing. Also there are characteristic smells, tastes and physical features, such as how easy it is to crmble the cap and whether any "milk" is produced.

For what its worth I'd say

1 Bulbous Honey Fungus

2 An old meadow waxcap that had seen better days

3 Blushers!! For God's sake don't eat them!!!!!

4 Beechwood sickener - as the name suggests!!

5 Some sort of milk cap? Need to break it to be certain

6 Possibly a saffron milkcap, again would need to break the cap

7 A not very impressive Fly Agaric

Thanks for that Taxman. For what it's worth I seem to remember most of these were out in the relative open just beside the path (and number 2 was next to someone's garden); only the one in the park was really in the trees. I guessed there was probably more to identifying them than looking at the pictures though because their appearance seems to vary quite a lot.

Just for the record I'd never be tempted to eat any sort of fungus I found growing in the wild - supermarket mushrooms only for me! What happens if you eat the blushers then? Do you die or is it worse than that?

What happens if you eat the blushers then? Do you die or is it worse than that?

They cause Anaemia if eaten raw. They can be eaten after boiling with 2 or 3 changes of water but the resultant mush wouldn't be very appetizing

I remember the first time I tried to eat a mushroom. It certainly made me blush.