Help with feeding & crying

Hi,

Our son is 5 weeks old and he's having his bottle and after he's finished he just seems to cry. We had problems to begin with, with him tryin to get out his wind and gas but that sorted itself out when we tried changing his formula from cow and gate to farleys. We even started using gripe water to help with it. He's fine now apart from the fact that when he's finished his feed he has bout 1/2hr of crying, then he falls asleep and when he wakes bout 1/2 hr after that he's fine.

When he was finishin his 4oz bottles (6/day), we decided to increase it to 5oz bottles and started to cut out the 6th bottle....so he was only on 5/day. He didn't seem to be able to last the time inbetween each bottle so we went back to having the 6/day. at first when we did this it was great.......he was awake inbetween feeds and not crying the house down. now it seems every time we give him his bottle he's finishin it and crying afterwards. he's still doing ok with the wind and gas so it's not that thats bothering him. he does eventually calm down after bout 1/2hr so i dont think he's in actual pain but something is bothering him and i dont know what.

I can't keep upping his food everytime he cries after a feed or finishes the bottle cos he'll just end up really huge. I have tried putting more in his bottle thinking maybe he needed more but he doesn't stop drinkin it if it's there so i can't go on the 'he's had enough when he stops drinking' method.

Should i carry on as i am and hope that he settles soon or is there anythign anyone can suggest to what we're doing wrong or what could be the problem.

Trish

he may have colic my child used to be like that and he wasn't hungry he was in pain! I tried infacol and it was the best thing i had ever bought and got his wind up easier aswell.:thumbsup:

no we've not rung them as our 6 week check up is comin soon and he doesn't seem to be in any pain and he does stop after a while of crying. If he did seem in pain or agony over it i would be on the phone right away asking the nhs for help.

I was just wondering if anyone had been through it with their kids and what they tried to help sort it.

also boiled water is good he might be thirsty not hungry.make sure its not too hot tho:thumbsup:

we ended up with infacol and it helped with his wind and gas problems. he doesn't suffer from it anymore. we did change his formula first and that helped straight away aswell.

oooh.....water....thats something we haven't tried. will let you know if it works.....

thanks for the tip

it might be worth trying aptamil, as it is apparently the closest formula to breast milk. also, our baby did the same for a while - they crying after feeds, i mean. it seemed to be a combination of still being hungry (which is possible - the amount you feed the baby should be 70mls per lb of baby per day, not what is says on hte box of formula), and feeling sick if we laid her down, even if she'd already burped. have you tried just keeping her upright for 20 minutes afterwards?

Hi there, my baby was the same at that age. It used to really upset me because I didn't know if I was feeding too much, too little, if he was in pain, had reflex / colic or anything like that. We tried lots of things including colief, infacol etc and the only thing that worked was time! He just stopped after a while. Now he's three months old and very happy. I think he just wanted to carry on suckling but didn't want food....just one of those things. I think he was just peeved for a while that he wasn't still in my womb!

he may have colic my child used to be like that and he wasn't hungry he was in pain! I tried infacol and it was the best thing i had ever bought and got his wind up easier aswell.:thumbsup:

infacol is brilliant we had this problem with our first and it stoped when we used infacol when i found out i was pregnant with my second i bought this before she was born ready just in case but she preferd cooled boiled water:)

Hi,

A baby should take in about 2 1/2 ounces of formula a day for every pound of body weight.' So for example a baby who weighs 13 pounds, that would be about 32 1/2 ounces a day. This was what my cousin who is a Doc advised me. These are just guidelines.

I faced the same problem so I switched to Farleys for Hungrier baby formula and it worked for me. My son did put on weight but once they start teeting and crawling they do loose quite a bit...

we're seeing the health visitor tomorrow...3 weeks after being discharged from the midwife....and i'll know his weight properly then. i've been going off his last weight and that was 3 weeks ago. but he'll have grown by then and cos of that i've started puttin an extra oz in his feeds and he seems to be fine. he still has a cry at some of his feeds but i also found that puttin him over my knee afterward his feed stops him from crying. strange but it works and he seems happy with it.

thanks for all your help