Two curious things on my walk today (21/10)

Today a friend and I went for a walk from Hathersage to Abney, Shatton Moor, Offerton and then back to Hathersage Bridge (nothing to do with the forum, just an impromptu 'looks a nice day, let's go' approach). Here are a couple of things spotted on the way which aroused my curiosity.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/metallicist/Shatton_walk/DSCN1297.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/metallicist/Shatton_walk/DSCN1307.jpg

Firstly that mushroom looks like a fly agaric to me (I'm no expert though). Taxman, care to comment? If so, why do all the pictures of them I can find on the web have more white dots on the cap - is it something to do with whether they're producing loads of spores or not?

Secondly, these two crazy sheep are kneeling down to eat!!! I don't think I've ever seen that before. Not only were they kneeling down, they were shuffling forward on their knees to get to the next bit of grass. As you can see in the background, all the other sheep in the same field were eating normally. If you search Google images for 'sheep kneeling down to eat' you do find one picture, but only one. Is this a rare activity for sheep, does anyone know?

im not positive but i think the mushroom is a russula rosea (poisonous) and the sheep look a bit mad - like they are praying or something lol

thats jsut lazy sheep...

they do it a lot.... i've even seen cows do it... weird creatures...:loopy:

the sheep dont do that in wales though, they daren't

It is a Fly Agaric.

Amonita family which grow with a veil encasing them. When the fruit body finally breaks through the veil it tears leaving the white spots you see on the cap. Its purely chance how many parts of the veil remain stuck to the cap. Sometimes its lots and lt looks like a classic, sometimes none and it looks like yours

Do you think the sheep are a mother and grown-up child, and the lamb's grown up copying the mother? They do look bizarre, especially as they look like they're in formation!

I come from a farm. That's just something sheep do. Maybe it had foot rot?

It is a Fly Agaric.

Amonita family which grow with a veil encasing them. When the fruit body finally breaks through the veil it tears leaving the white spots you see on the cap. Its purely chance how many parts of the veil remain stuck to the cap. Sometimes its lots and lt looks like a classic, sometimes none and it looks like yours

Are you officially back? Been trying to pm you, but its blocked!

I know those sheep, they're called Al & Hal, they are facing Mecca as they've just discovered bingo.

Do I win? :hihi: