Where can I get extra wide fitting kids shoes?

I took my 8 year old son to Clarks for some new trainers the other day, and he needed an H width fitting. Clarks (and Clinkards) didn't have a single pair of shoes in his size in an H fitting.

Our problem is, his current trainers are starting to look rather disreputable and we need shoes NOW. The Clarks manager informed me that they can't order shoes in even though their warehouse is only in Rotherham. I'm really disappointed with Clarks because although we have never been able to choose a shoe for him, they have always managed to find one style to fit.

I'm beginning to think that he may need bespoke shoes, and I'm not sure I can afford them. Has anyone any suggestions?

I'm fairly sure you can order clarks online, it would be alot cheaper than having some made and wouldn't take as long. The trouble with ordering online is that until the shoes are actually on you can't tell if you have a good fit or not

Have you tried ringing round a few shops to see if they stock the size you need or if they are prepared to order some in for you?

I've seen H sizes on ebay. Could be worth having a look even though some might be slightly worn or model seconds.

I really feel for you and your son, as this was a problem we had when my daughter was a littlie ... there were about three or four other children with the same problem at the time.

It was like a relay from Peter Lords, to Coles, to Saxone, etc as we all galloped from one shop to another, trying to be first to arrive - all in search of a simple pair of shoes!

Small boy to mother "But I can't have red sandals, mummy, the other boys will tease me" Mother to small boy "It's either red sandals or socks, darling, you choose" .... me lurking nearby, waiting to pounce if the red sandals were rejected ....:suspect:

Things don't change much in 20 years, obviously ....

Try phoning Twinkle Toes ( there is one in Woodseats and one in Fulwood) to see if they have any. They get all sorts of brands in and may be able to help.

No I've not tried John Lewis - I will take him to town tomorrow. As for Twinkle Toes, I've never heard of it - that will be another one to add to my list. Thank you. Luckily, he isn't bothered about what he wears (much to the disgust of my friend who has very choosy girls), so not having a choice has never worried him up to now. I dread the teenage years though!

No I've not tried John Lewis - I will take him to town tomorrow. As for Twinkle Toes, I've never heard of it - that will be another one to add to my list. Thank you. Luckily, he isn't bothered about what he wears (much to the disgust of my friend who has very choosy girls), so not having a choice has never worried him up to now. I dread the teenage years though!

I've never heard of Twinkle Toes at Woodseats either, whereabouts is it?

I just had a thought, does Miss Kantor of Sharrowvale Road still do shoes? They used to have a couple of branches called Clever Clogs ... Elephanten make were very good, if they still make them.

Twinkle Toes is on Abbey Lane ( the tope end where all the shops start). It hasn't been there long. It moved from Totley Brook area.

There is a lovely woman there who is wonderful and measuring and advising.

I think Elehanpten are no long... that was the wild gossip a few months ago at mums'n'tots.

Well, I finally managed to get him an H fitting trainer. I had a strange response from Clarks when I wrote to them for advice. I was told:

"Because of a systems upgrade our telesales facility will be unavailable until further notice. Because of this our stores are unable to place orders for customers. I can only apologise for any disruption that this may cause you but this upgrade is essential for our business to move forward in today's market."

I wonder how long it takes to upgrade? And how difficult is it for the shop to ring through to the warehouse in Rotherham to ask them to throw a couple of H fitting shoes in with the next delivery? I am really disappointed with the corporate apparent lack of cusomer care.

On the plus side, I went (again) to Meadowhall and the girl who served us was lovely -and they had his size in. My son got the trainers he really liked - a first for him!

Not sure about extra wide, but I have just started using these:

http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/

The clarks shoes are new and half price. I knew the size having had them measured, and used these for a second pair. Delivery is very fast!

Maybe this is a bit late for the OP, but for future references.

The only other place for Clark shoes is the big outlet in Doncaster. Once a while, I go there with family, and see what stock they have. You can always ring up and ask whether they have certain stocks before you go to the stores.