Used compost from garden pots

What do i need to do to it so that i can use it again next year?

Do i just throw it in my new composter or something else, it`s all held together with lots of tiny roots from my flowers this year which are almost finished now.

In terms of nutrients it's more or less spent now- it will be much better for your plants next year to start again from fresh.

Dig your old stuff into your garden and use your new compost mixed with some garden soil for next year's pots.

Thanks, i`ve lots of pots so i`ll have very high borders this winter.:)

It will shrink down pretty quickly when it's dug in- and whatever's left in it will help your shrubs for next season.

That`s good to know, the garden is mainly pots with a couple of borders which i don`t really want to end up too high.

The front garden is surrounded by privet so i`m going to be looking for something to plant between the hedge and the grass, this year marigolds seemed to do ok and i`ve put in a small fuchia to add a bit of colour but what i really wanted to do was to find something edible which would grow there in between the flowers, any suggestions?

I dig the spent compost from whatever I've been growing in the greenhouse into my veggie patch - as Medusa says, it breaks down pretty quickly.

How about planting some herbs or ornamental lettuces in your border next spring? I'm a big fan of growing vegetables and herbs along garden plants and emphasising their ornamental qualities. I visted Castle Howard over the summer and they have a fantastic Potager (kitchen garden) where all the fruit, herbs and veg are used to create beautiful displays and structured beds. Sadly the pictures on the Castle Howard website (link here) don't really do it justice :(