Sheffields Jewish Community.

Im aware of the Jewish cemetary in Parson Cross, but how big is Sheffields Jewish community? How many Jewish people use the forum? Does anyone know the history of the community in Sheffield?

Is this the right section for this thread?

i dont think i know anyone in sheffield who is a jew

I knew someone in the 80s who was half Jewish but thats about it. I had a teacher at Southey school who was Jewish too, but apart from that....they seem to be a rarity.

While walking along the edge of Ladybower Res. a few weeks ago I was passed by some children from a Jewish family riding their bicycles (I forget the name for those who wear the 1920's hats and have the ringlet sideburns, but those are the type,)- we said 'Hiya' to each other, & that's all I can add to this.

There's a big Synagogue in Leeds however.-'Mount Syon' I think: as you head out toward Harrogate.

Why?

Are you thinking of becoming Jewish?

Or joining the Hezbollah?

I had the pleasure of teaching several Jewish pupils at High Storrs school and I thought they were marvellous students. Pleased to say, they were never put in detention and were excellent students, certainly at Physics and Maths and many made a valid contribution to the school's music life.

Some went into the medical field after University and I am delighted for them, hoping that I may have contributed in a small way.

I've a hazy idea that there is something like just over half a million people in UK who declared themselves to be Jewish in the last Census. Please don't ask me for a link, as Google and I are strangers to one another, and links are beyond my powers.

The synagogue on Wilson Road is closed now I think, and AFAIK the Jewish community in Sheffield is very small. I've worked for two Jewish owned companies in the past, so I am acquainted with a number of Jewish people (and they never appeared to be involved in any conspiracy for world domination :rolleyes:)

oops, sorry ... wrong thread!! the Zionist Conspiracy thread is over there <<<<<<<<<<<<

I used to work for a Jewish guy in the mid 80's - early 90's. He was the owner of (successively), Sexy Rexy, Jeanery and Bankrupt Clothing Company.

I think that there is a community, but not anywhere near as large as in Manchester/Leeds. There is also an alternative jewish cemetry at Ranmoor Community Centre. It is news to me that Wilson Road has shut.

I think that there is a community, but not anywhere near as large as in Manchester/Leeds. There is also an alternative jewish cemetry at Ranmoor Community Centre. It is news to me that Wilson Road has shut.

Not shut exactly, but no longer used as a synagogue, which is what I meant. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my posting.

Jewish Heritage Site

Sheffield, Wilson Road Synagogue Rawcliffe & Ogden 1929-30

Fine listed inter-war synagogue utilising the best of local craftsmanship. Recorded for the Survey by a team of third year students in the Department of Architecture at Huddersfield University under course tutor Helen Price in Spring 1998. Now converted to a Baptist church.

there is a Synagogue, and Jewish community centre, in the Psalter Lane area, now, it has been there for a good five or ten years.

Yes, the Wilson road premises is not used AFAIK by the Jewish community, these days.

My best friend, at school (High Storrs, funnily enough, Chairboy!!!) was Jewish.

I remember when I was a child, a Tailor's company on London Road, "Bee bros" being owned by a Jewish Gentleman, I used to have some very good scriptural debates and discussions with him as a teenager.

While walking along the edge of Ladybower Res. a few weeks ago I was passed by some children from a Jewish family riding their bicycles (I forget the name for those who wear the 1920's hats and have the ringlet sideburns, but those are the type,)- we said 'Hiya' to each other, & that's all I can add to this.

There's a big Synagogue in Leeds however.-'Mount Syon' I think: as you head out toward Harrogate.

Why?

Are you thinking of becoming Jewish?

Or joining the Hezbollah?

They are known as '' Frummers'' - but I have probably spelt it incorrectly.

I saw a thread about Jewish people and I remembered the cemetary in Parson Cross and I just wondered if any Jewish people on the forum or known in Sheffield.