Cleaning my carpet with bleach?

I have a polypropylene carpet which is in dire need of a facelift. Tried cleaning it using a VAX last night and its still horrid in places. I have been told that it is possible to bleach a polypropylene carpet but I dont know where to start. Sorry to sound stoopid but how would I go about bleaching a carpet:D

if its that bad throw it away :thumbsup:

maybe you could try a mild bleach designed for fabric such as ace, if using normal thin bleach make sure you heavily dilute it but there should be instructions on bottle - dont think they mention carpets but should be enough to give you an idea. see now if you had laminate or wood flooring you could just mop it instead

Personally speaking I wouldn't bleach a carpet at all- but that's assuming that the possibly bleached results are worse than the state of the carpet now.

My solution would be to use a steamer after washing it using the Vax- then you're sure that any discolouration is not down to dirt. Other than that I'd junk it too.

I haven't heard of using bleach on a carpet. I'd be worried that it might take the colour out of the fibres. Not sure how the bleach would effect artificial fabrics though.

If it's just dirty, and not actually worn out, then I might give it a go with a steamer. Then again, I'd be very tempted to chuck it and buy another, given the amount of time, effort and expense involved in attempting to sort out the old one, especially as you're not guarenteed success.

Powerclean works brill on carpets of the quality you have, You can buy it at killis on west street. Hope this helps

kaity