Sign in to follow this  

Reapplying thermal interface

I have had to send back my motherboard and have just recieved a replacement. when i reinstall the processor do i need to scrape off the original thermal interface, which was already on the heatsink (AMD athlon 939 venice 3500), and add new paste or can i just reattach the heatsink with the original paste?

If i do need to add new thermal compound does it matter about the quality? how much should I spend?

cheers

ash.

probably best to reapply as they've been separated, I'd suggest isopropyl alcohol on a qtip to shift it from the cpu

arctic silver is supposed to be one of the best heat transfer compounds, but any is better than none

wot savannah said

I dont even take the old compound off, i just put a blob of new stuff on without issues..

As long as you have a good equal thin layer to mate with the Cpu you will be ok . You only really need to go to the extremes if your gonna overclock in my experience . But thin and level is best as a rough guide .

You can find more here : - http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Applying-Thermal-Paste/

And if you do use arctic silver, be veeeeeerrrry careful when applying it. If it accidentally touches something it shouldn't it *can* cause issues.... being basically a superconductor.

But it's rare, and I'd recommend it!

A room temperature superconductor, get it patented quick.

*runs to patent office*

Yes, well. I've known of a few people who accidentally got some on the mobo/bridge connectors (muppets) and when they turned it on, some connections got made that really shouldn't have and, well...

Fzzzzzt.

you mean it's an electrical conductor then not a superconductor ;)

Yeah, that would just be a conductor, like most metal. (Artic silver contains silver, hence the name).

If it were a superconductor it would have revolutionised power generation and distribution, amongst other things.