Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

My family has a long history in Sheffield, and part of it was in Longley Hall. My grandparents--or great grandparents, - Im not sure which, lived there.

Im assuming that longley park is the land and gardens that surrounded the hall.

Does anyone know about Longley Hall? I tried the net but there isnt much around, so any info would be gratefully recieved.

ref longley hall go to http://www.picturesheffield.com/ and type in longley hall in the bottom search box and you will find a picture of the hall

Bloody hell i found it! I didnt think it actually existed!

Thanks for that, im going to email this to my bro!

Bloody hell i found it! I didnt think it actually existed!

Thanks for that, im going to email this to my bro!

Cant find a search button on that site, can you post a picture on here ?

As far as im aware, the duke of devonshire had his evil way with a chambermaid-- this was around the middle of the 19th century.

The offspring was the first Jabberwock--my great grandfather or grandfather, and the duke set mother and son up in a cottage on the grounds of the house, what i assume is chatsworth.

When the kid grew to puberty, the duke complained that the lad wasnt going to the servants entrance for stuff and instead was marching into the house through the main door as if he owned it.

That caused the family to split into two, and the lad ended up owning the hall at longley... along with a steel works and several shops in sheffield and hathersage.

Im not sure what happened after that, but the hall and the money attached to it all was given away by my grandfather to the people who were in the general strike, aparrantly he donated the lot to the strikers and ended up with one or two shops, one of which still exsists at the end of longley lane, the newsagents.

My... cousin? Owns it.

Thats all i know, and im really going to have to get my brother to supply the rest of the information.

Terrific.Still dont know exactly where at Longley it was,but I wonder when it was demolished and why. ? Just think you could have been Lord of the Manor by now !!!! Hope poppins reads this she will be very interested in that picture.

Jabb, A thread on Longley was started a year or more back, must have been taken off now but it was starting to get very interesting, it was mostly about Longley Parks and the baths, but I never knew there was a LongleyHall, where was it ? in Longley Park ? there was some kind of stone building near the side entrance into the park but I think it was like a small care takers place, I don't recognize that photo at all.

Jabb, A thread on Longley was started a year or more back, must have been taken off now but it was starting to get very interesting, it was mostly about Longley Parks and the baths, but I never knew there was a LongleyHall, where was it ? in Longley Park ? there was some kind of stone building near the side entrance into the park but I think it was like a small care takers place, I don't recognize that photo at all.

The hall, as far as im aware, was on the site of the fire station.

As soon as my bro replies to the email i sent ill let you know for sure....

No it would have been demolished before our time.Cannot remember any building at all looking like that. I would love to know more about it,just think Jabbers is connected to the Devonshires,who own Chatsworth house . :o

The hall, as far as im aware, was on the site of the fire station.

As soon as my bro replies to the email i sent ill let you know for sure....

Right, if it was on the site of the fire station, that seems about right.There always was a large piece of land there,that we never really took any notice of. I would love to see an old map of Sheffield with it on.Its getting quite exciting, M`Lord. ;)

M` lord?

Dont forget the other half of this unholy union, a chambermaid! Im from good pheasant stock, and the fact that my grandfather gave everything away to the strikers proves it. :D

The part about the hall and the shops and steelworks and giving it all away is correct, i know that for a fact, as for the duke thing, im not so sure about that part, and await my bros email for confirmation.