View Full Version : Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

Pages : [1] 2

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 18:48
My family has a long history in Sheffield, and part of it was in Longley Hall. My grandparents--or great grandparents, - Im not sure which, lived there.

Im assuming that longley park is the land and gardens that surrounded the hall.

Does anyone know about Longley Hall? I tried the net but there isnt much around, so any info would be gratefully recieved.

syrup
08-10-2006, 19:02
ref longley hall go to http://www.picturesheffield.com/ and type in longley hall in the bottom search box and you will find a picture of the hall

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 19:04
ref longley hall go to http://www.picturesheffield.com/ and type in longley hall in the bottom search box and you will find a picture of the hall
Bloody hell i found it! I didnt think it actually existed!
Thanks for that, im going to email this to my bro!

pattricia
08-10-2006, 19:30
Bloody hell i found it! I didnt think it actually existed!
Thanks for that, im going to email this to my bro!
Cant find a search button on that site, can you post a picture on here ?

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 19:32
Ok here it is (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/Doppler1/y02136.jpg)

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 19:37
As far as im aware, the duke of devonshire had his evil way with a chambermaid-- this was around the middle of the 19th century.
The offspring was the first Jabberwock--my great grandfather or grandfather, and the duke set mother and son up in a cottage on the grounds of the house, what i assume is chatsworth.
When the kid grew to puberty, the duke complained that the lad wasnt going to the servants entrance for stuff and instead was marching into the house through the main door as if he owned it.
That caused the family to split into two, and the lad ended up owning the hall at longley... along with a steel works and several shops in sheffield and hathersage.
Im not sure what happened after that, but the hall and the money attached to it all was given away by my grandfather to the people who were in the general strike, aparrantly he donated the lot to the strikers and ended up with one or two shops, one of which still exsists at the end of longley lane, the newsagents.
My... cousin? Owns it.
Thats all i know, and im really going to have to get my brother to supply the rest of the information.

pattricia
08-10-2006, 19:39
Ok here it is (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/Doppler1/y02136.jpg)
Terrific.Still dont know exactly where at Longley it was,but I wonder when it was demolished and why. ? Just think you could have been Lord of the Manor by now !!!! Hope poppins reads this she will be very interested in that picture.

poppins
08-10-2006, 19:41
Jabb, A thread on Longley was started a year or more back, must have been taken off now but it was starting to get very interesting, it was mostly about Longley Parks and the baths, but I never knew there was a LongleyHall, where was it ? in Longley Park ? there was some kind of stone building near the side entrance into the park but I think it was like a small care takers place, I don't recognize that photo at all.

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 19:48
Jabb, A thread on Longley was started a year or more back, must have been taken off now but it was starting to get very interesting, it was mostly about Longley Parks and the baths, but I never knew there was a LongleyHall, where was it ? in Longley Park ? there was some kind of stone building near the side entrance into the park but I think it was like a small care takers place, I don't recognize that photo at all.
The hall, as far as im aware, was on the site of the fire station.
As soon as my bro replies to the email i sent ill let you know for sure....

pattricia
08-10-2006, 19:49
No it would have been demolished before our time.Cannot remember any building at all looking like that. I would love to know more about it,just think Jabbers is connected to the Devonshires,who own Chatsworth house . :o

pattricia
08-10-2006, 19:54
The hall, as far as im aware, was on the site of the fire station.
As soon as my bro replies to the email i sent ill let you know for sure....
Right, if it was on the site of the fire station, that seems about right.There always was a large piece of land there,that we never really took any notice of. I would love to see an old map of Sheffield with it on.Its getting quite exciting, M`Lord. ;)

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 19:57
M` lord?
Dont forget the other half of this unholy union, a chambermaid! Im from good pheasant stock, and the fact that my grandfather gave everything away to the strikers proves it. :D

The part about the hall and the shops and steelworks and giving it all away is correct, i know that for a fact, as for the duke thing, im not so sure about that part, and await my bros email for confirmation.

pattricia
08-10-2006, 20:00
M` lord?
Dont forget the other half of this unholy union, a chambermaid! Im from good pheasant stock, and the fact that my grandfather gave everything away to the strikers proves it. :D

The part about the hall and the shops and steelworks and giving it all away is correct, i know that for a fact, as for the duke thing, im not so sure about that part, and await my bros email for confirmation.
Im going off line now, M`Lord so keep me up to date with things. :thumbsup:

Grahame
08-10-2006, 20:11
There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, and if Longley Park belonged to the Hall then he would have possessed all the land between the Hall on Elm Lane stretching down to your brothers shop which is just off Herries Road. The Hall on Elm Lane would have been the highest point and as he stood on that nice lawn and looked south he would have been Lord of all he surveyed. What is your surname Jabbers?

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:13
There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, but there must have been a lot of land attached to the Hall
From what i heared all of the longley and a lot of the southey area.
Im practically foaming at the mouth to learn more now, and im regretting not paying attention to my parents and siblings when i was a kid.

algy
08-10-2006, 20:20
Longley Hall was on the site of the Longley Hall farm, opposite the junction of Longley Lane and Crowder Rd. There's a 1902 map in the Godfrey Edition maps, Yorkshire sheet 288.16, Sheffield (Longley) that shows it and the rest of the Longley area. I've scanned that bit and put it here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Algy/longleymap.jpg
You can get the map from Waterstones for about £2.10

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:22
Thanks for that!
Its getting more interesting with every new post.

Grahame
08-10-2006, 20:27
Longley Hall was on the site of the Longley Hall farm, opposite the junction of Longley Lane and Crowder Rd. There's a 1902 map in the Godfrey Edition maps, Yorkshire sheet 288.16, Sheffield (Longley) that shows it and the rest of the Longley area. I've scanned that bit and put it here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Algy/longleymap.jpg
You can get the map from Waterstones for about £2.10
I used to live on Barnsley Road overlooking Longley Hall farm and then they built the estate, but from the map it looks as though he owned land on Barnsley Road and a quarry also? It looks as though the quarry is where Firth Park Grammer School used to be?

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:29
Im squinting like mad at the map but my sight isnt good enough to make anything out, but i sent the map to my bro and he should be able to see it and interpret it a lot better than i could.
Im assuming that hes out carousing, because he hasnt replied to any of my emails yet.

Lotti
08-10-2006, 20:43
Ooooh Jabbers!

Stories like this fascinate me, my grandmother's mother's family owned most of Fullwood at one point (the Bancrofts I think) but when my grandmother's mother decided to marry my grandmother's father who was of much lower social status, her family disowned her cutting her out of the will...

Just think we coulda been rich :rolleyes:

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:44
Ooooh Jabbers!

Stories like this fascinate me, my grandmother's mother's family owned most of Fullwood at one point (the Bancrofts I think) but when my grandmother's mother decided to marry my grandmother's father who was of much lower social status, her family disowned her cutting her out of the will...

I know, and if this is all accurate Id only be about 60000th in line for the throne! :D

The other half of the family, are aparrantly still loaded.
The pigs.

poppins
08-10-2006, 20:46
Ooooh Jabbers!

Ooooh! more "Blue Blood" on the Forum...getting better by the minute, Lady Lotti, sounds good to me !:)

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:48
Actually, i vaguely remember a split taking part in my family for the same reason. One of the men... my grandfather i think, married a girl who worked in a pub and was disowned because of it.

poppins
08-10-2006, 20:51
Actually, i vaguely remember a split taking part in my family for the same reason. One of the men... my grandfather i think, married a girl who worked in a pub and was disowned because of it.

Not uncommon back in those days, now a days men would love to have their women working behind a bar :hihi: free drinks all around !

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 20:52
Im not sure if there was any inbreeding in my ancestory, but heres a recent pic of me to prove that I have noble blood in my veins. (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/Doppler1/506996_16c0a4a823_m.jpg)

poppins
08-10-2006, 20:53
Im not sure if there was any inbreeding in my ancestory, but heres a recent pic of me to prove that I have noble blood in my veins. (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/Doppler1/506996_16c0a4a823_m.jpg)

QUICK..wheres that picture of the feet again ???????

Greybeard
08-10-2006, 21:14
From what i can make out there were three places called Longley -----.

Longley House, which stood about where Crowder Avenue, Crowder road and Herries avenue meet.

Longley Farm which stood between Piper close and Longley cresent fronting on Crowder road.

These two were demolished when the council houses along Crowder road were built.

Lonlgey Hall became Longley Hall farm and some of it at least is still standing, - on Longley lane opposite the end of Crowder road. I remember reading that at one time this farm was either owned or managed by the Northern General Hospital as a dairy farm.

Jabbers - if you PM me your email addy I can let you have the map that Grahame put up in a much larger format.

edit: - apologies it was algy who put the map up !

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 21:15

Longley House, which stood about where Crowder Avenue, Crowder road and Herries avenue meet.

Longley Farm which stood between Piper close and Longley cresent fronting on Crowder road.

These two were demolished when the council houses along Crowder road were built.

Lonlgey Hall became Longley Hall farm and some of it at least is still standing, - on Longley lane opposite the end of Crowder road. I remember reading that at one time this farm was either owned or managed by the Northern General Hospital as a dairy farm.

Jabbers - if you PM me your email addy I can let you have the map that Grahame put up in a much larger format.
Thanks for that.

pattricia
08-10-2006, 22:37
Been off line,watching t.v. and am just catching up on it all again.The map wasnt very clear Jabbers,it looked like the Hall was right at the bottom of the picture,but not sure.I understand someone is sending you a better map.Looks like your relatives owned quite a bit of land.

Jabberwocky
08-10-2006, 22:51
Well from what i can make out the hall was on the site of the fire station. Its an old map so there arent many reference points or landmarks for me to lock on to but its a damn good old map anyway.
My brother is still out so it looks as if im going to have to wait for a brief history from him.
I do know that my mothers father was on the whaling fleet at humberside, and that was mentioned in the story on the story group with the barrel of poo, but im really getting interested in my fathers side of the family now.
My neice who lives in Northamptonshire has the actual family tree but Im not her favourite bunny rabbit so im not going to be asking her about it.
My bro more than likely knows more about this than she does anyway.

pattricia
08-10-2006, 23:03

edit: - apologies it was algy who put the map up !I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

algy
09-10-2006, 08:00
There's also an A4 book on the history of Longley that was put together by a local group. It's still around in the libraries. There's an interview with Mr Rigby who was the last farmer at longley Hall Farm. I remember being at the redcaps with his son. As Pattricia said it was owned by the hospital. According to Mr Rigby there used to be a private road from the farm to the hospital for delivering the produce. What price hospital food now?

retep
09-10-2006, 08:29
This should be a link to Old maps

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Should be a 1855ish map on here.

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 09:20
This should be a link to Old maps

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Should be a 1855ish map on here.

But it doesn't actually name any of the three main properties in Longley :(

And if we're talking here of the fire station on Elm lane - I believe this was built on the site of a property known as Cliffe House.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 09:22
Just got an email from my brother.

here it is:

Also, great grandad owned most of what became Firth Vickers, grandad went to Cleethorpes to sail the whalers, when great grandad wouldn't give him a job. This is where I under stand, mam was born. The records of Vickers were lost in the war, so we can't find any documents.
Grandad was an engineer by trade.

I assume hes read this thread, he visits the forum as a guest often.

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 09:32
I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

There were still cows an the fields there when we moved to the area in the mid 70s but not sure if the NGH had anything to do with the farm then. I also remember a gate at the very top of the hospital grounds that gave access to a little lane that led past some old cottages (I think converted from the farm buildings) and out onto Longley lane.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 09:48
Latest information From my brother.

I seem to remember that great grandad was one of the first train drivers, (or possibly, great great grandad), in those days, only gentlemen were allowed to drive. I do know that great grandad owned all of what is now Winkobank + 3 farms in Retford, these all went to grandads brothers. The hall was standing in the '40s, because I vaguely remember mam pointing it out and saying, 'If it wasn't for fate, that would belong to her'.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 09:59
Ok I asked my brother about the Duke, i asked how much he knew about it and the reply was :

Just a faint recollection, but nowt else, nothing further at all. It's just that it rings a bell. Aunt Dot had a photo of grandad dressed as a genleman in riding gear, but she died last year, I suppose uncle Frank still has it, he lives on Cross Addy street.

It was such a long time ago and we`re such an old family with all of the older ones dead who held the history in their heads that its all ancient history and hearsay now.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:06
A pic of my Grandfather and my aunty Dot. (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/Doppler1/grandadanddot.jpg)

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:07
Aparrantly one of the reasons that so much information was lost was the level of education in those days:

Even the women couldn't write, there's someone in the past called 'Biggerdyke, or Bickerdyke, or summat like that, she signs the wedding papers with a cross.

HughW
09-10-2006, 10:12
A snippet from the Sheffield Local Register (a digest of local news stories):

13 Feb 1906
Sheffield Guardians decide to purchase the Longley Hall Farm and 55 acres of land adjacent to the Fir Vale Workhouse at a cost of £10,500.

also, are any of these familiar?...

1891 census
ref: piece 3831 enumeration district 30 folio 143
Longley Hall
(Brightside Bierlow)

Robert BINDER Head Marr 55 farmer NTH Stanior
Lydia BINDER Wife Marr 50 YKS Sheffield
Margaret A BINDER Dau Unm 20 YKS Sheffield
Harold HILL Serv 16 farm servant DBY NK
George A CARTER Serv 15 farm servant YKS Sheffield

(place names are birthplaces. NTH=Northamptonshire, NK=not known)

Hugh

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 10:13
Jabbers, - it sounds like your family history would be a very interesting project :D

BTW did you get my email ?

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:13
Ten Grand? God that wouldnt buy a decent garden shed these days!

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:15
Jabbers, - it sounds like your family history would be a very interesting project :D

BTW did you get my email ?
Yes i got the email and its was a fascinating map! didnt you get my reply?

Im learning more all the time about my history and im kicking myself hard for not paying more attention when i was a kid.
Fortunately i have my brother who knows tons on the subject and hes reading this thread and supplying information via emails AND i have the forum! Im learning lots!

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:17
Ok my brother Jim is going to try to contact my oldest brother bob for more information.
I wonder how much he`ll tell us...

HughW
09-10-2006, 10:26
Ten Grand? God that wouldnt buy a decent garden shed these days!

I just found this site (http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/) for working out how much a sum of money was worth in the past. It seems that £10,500 in 1906 was the equivalent of £752,098.36 today :D (or possibly :rant: because you ain't got it :hihi: )

Hugh

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:37
Ok another snippet of information.

aparrantly my dads family were all rebels. Im not at all sure what that means so I asked if it was anything to do with Northern Ireland and my bro said that it predates all that.
Hes had to go out but he said he`d add more info later.... this is getting more interesting by the minute.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:37
I just found this site (http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/) for working out how much a sum of money was worth in the past. It seems that £10,500 in 1906 was the equivalent of £752,098.36 today :D (or possibly :rant: because you ain't got it :hihi: )

Hugh
Gawd Id spend that in a week! :D

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 10:58
There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, and if Longley Park belonged to the Hall then he would have possessed all the land between the Hall on Elm Lane stretching down to your brothers shop which is just off Herries Road. The Hall on Elm Lane would have been the highest point and as he stood on that nice lawn and looked south he would have been Lord of all he surveyed. What is your surname Jabbers?
sorry Grahame I didnt see the last part of this post, my surname is Jackson.

I assume that Jackson was the maiden name of the chambermaid.
Im not entirely sure yet though.

retep
09-10-2006, 11:56
Do you have any verification for your family story,
there is a Mary Jackson age 23 house servant in the 1851 census

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 11:57
Do you have any verification for your family story,
there is a Mary Jackson age 23 house servant in the 1851 census
Im just... working towards that... my bro will be very interested at that part!

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 11:57
Just recieved this email from my bro:

Suits me, by the way, jackson comes from dads side, the hall was on mams., so scrap the maiden name for the maid, (silly bugger)

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 12:03
Just revieved this email too regarding the rebels thing:

When I was a kid, I used to visit gramam with my dad. She was usually ailing and in bed. When I used to go upstairs to see her, she would always point to a carpet covered spot by the bed, and say, “Don’t stand there, it’s not safe”, I never knew, or thought to ask, “Why?” In those days, you spoke when spoken to, especially to older people. Years later, I found out a few facts, very reluctantly squeezed out of tight lipped aunties. How much is true?, I don’t know, but here it is…….., Very few people would discuss grandad, only occasionally would dad say he missed him, I understand that dad was only 13 when granddad died. Apparently gramams’ mam and dad lived in Stoke, or thereabouts, the local townsfolk drove the family out because they were hoarding arms for some revolution, or other. They came to Sheffield (or Rotherham, I’m not sure which), they met granddads parents, who were the local equivalent to their misdeeds, and that’s how our grandparents met. I understand that granddad was killed by the police in the 1926 riots. The only record I can find is that he died in the Northern General through epilepsy, (well, they would say this, wouldn’t they?) though I don’t know of any one else in the family who suffers from this, so I find it unlikely.
Coming back to the unsafe spot in the bedroom, apparently, they kept arms under the floor boards, (coshes etc.), this came from dad; he says the coshes were of lead, with a wire sleeve bound with tape.

This is the third attempt to add it to the forum, something seems to be happening to the server.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 12:14
My bro just mentioned that the idea of any of our ancestors going into service isnt really feasable. They were too rich and bolshy for starters.

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 12:16
Yes i got the email and its was a fascinating map! didnt you get my reply?

I see it now ;)

You'll see from the map then that the lands belonging to Longley Hall were to the south of Longley lane. ISTR Longley Park was the estate attached to Crowder House and donated to the City Council sometime between the wars.

And I'm pretty sure there were no 'manorial' rights attached to Longley, - the nearest manor was Southey which I think belonged to the Duke of Norfolk, although it was defunct by the mid 19th century.

What you need to look at now are the census returns for 1851 through to 1891. From HughW's post it's evident the Jackson's were not in residence in 1901.

In the 1850s Longley Hall was in Ecclesfield parish so you might also find some records of the family in the parish registers.

A lot of the information is now available on-line so it shouldn't be too difficult to find it, even though you're not in Sheffield.

weenireeni
09-10-2006, 12:19
ooooh i love this thread, its like that geneology programme on bbc!

all we need now is you to be related to barbara windsor :D

HughW
09-10-2006, 12:38
...From HughW's post it's evident the Jackson's were not in residence in 1901...

Actually, the census I quoted from was the 1891 :)

Hugh

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 13:22
I went up the wrong path, i just learned that the hall was owned by my mothers family ---the name of Holden.
The jackson part-my fathers side is another line of enquiry...
Its all getting very complicated

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 13:23
ooooh i love this thread, its like that geneology programme on bbc!

all we need now is you to be related to barbara windsor :D
Gerr-aht o my pub!!!! :D

HughW
09-10-2006, 13:24
From the GRO indexes it looks like Robert BINDER died 1892 and his wife Lydia in 1900.

But there may be some confusion here because in the 1881 the Binders are at 'Norwood Farm' Piper Lane

and in addition there is:

1881 census
ref: PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4660 Folio 13
Longley Hall
(Brightside Bierlow)

Joseph ASHFORTH Head Marr 32 Steel File & Screw Manuftr Employing 54 Men 5 Boys 34 Women Sheffield
Sarah ASHFORTH Wife Marr 36 South Clifton, NTT
Sarah Edith ASHFORTH Dau 8 Scholar Sheffield
Clara BRAMLEY Governess Unm 33 Governess Sheffield
Mary Ann SADIN Serv Unm 25 Cook Domestic Servant Cottisford, OXF
Sarah LENTH Serv Unm 23 Housemaid Domestic Servant Carlton Scroop LIN
Christopher TUXFORD Brother In Law Unm 24 Commercial Clerk Holbeach LIN
Joseph TUXFORD Visitor Marr 69 Corn Merchant Retired South Clifton NTT
Jane TUXFORD Visitor Marr 58 Corn Merchant Retired Wife Terrington NFK
Kate RIDLINGTON Visitor 9 Scholar Holbeach LIN

Also with the adress Longley Hall but listed separately is:
Ann DIXON Head Unm 73 Annuitant Sheffield Handicap: Deaf

In White's 1901 Directory there is:
FEARNLEY Samuel farmer (Longley Farm)
[surname is FERNLEY in the 1901 census index online]

Hugh

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 13:32
Its odd how the subject leaps from one thing to another isnt it? I bet tons of records were lost or mislaid over the years.

Grantham
09-10-2006, 13:37
Hi! Fascinating Thread!

Sheffield Trade Direcotories

1911 - Mrs Ellen FEARNLEY is shown as a 'farmer' at Longley Grange in Longley Lane

1919 - George Willm FILLINGHAM is shown as 'farmer' at Longley Grange (Longley La)

1919 and 1925 - a Herbert Lee IBBOTSON (Bailiff/Sheffield Guardians) is at Longley Hall Farm

Grantham

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 13:44
Thanks for that. It IS a fascinating thread isnt it?
I never realised thered be so much interest in the area.

poppins
09-10-2006, 15:58

Yes it does make interesting reading Jabb, Longley park seemed so big to me back then, I wonder if it's the biggest park in Sheffield, well Millhouses is I suppose now I think anout it.

poppins
09-10-2006, 15:59

Yes it does make interesting reading Jabb, Longley park seemed so big to me back then, I wonder if it's the biggest park in Sheffield, well Millhouses is I suppose now I think about it.

Grantham
09-10-2006, 16:25
Hi J

In the 1833 Sheffield Direcotry a Samuel FEARNLEY appears as a farmer but he is at Piper Lane.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 16:26
I wonder if they were sort of tennant farmers for my mothers family or something.

algy
09-10-2006, 17:05
And if we're talking here of the fire station on Elm lane - I believe this was built on the site of a property known as Cliffe House.
Thanks Greybeard, I've a copy of the 1st edition 1 inch OS map, and I've been struggling to make out the name as it's not very distinct, but Cliffe House looks right:thumbsup:

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 18:41
Thought I'd better put up a plan of the situation at Longley Hall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/CarrLane.jpg

Carr lane is roughly the line of Crowder road, - Longley House and Longley Farm are now buried under housing. The main house at Longley Hall I'm pretty sure is demolished but some of the associated houses/cottages remain.

The buildings in plots 294/295 near the bridge over Bagley Dyke became the park-keeper's house, and I think the swimming pool was installed round-about plot 255.

Grahame
09-10-2006, 19:38
Thought I'd better put up a plan of the situation at Longley Hall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/CarrLane.jpg

Carr lane is roughly the line of Crowder road, - Longley House and Longley Farm are now buried under housing. The main house at Longley Hall I'm pretty sure is demolished but some of the associated houses/cottages remain.

The buildings in plots 294/295 near the bridge over Bagley Dyke became the park-keeper's house, and I think the swimming pool was installed round-about plot 255.
According to that map, there is some very nice housing on the site of tho old Longley Hall. I seem to remember they are surrounded by the original wall? I have been in one of the flats but as soon as you drive in there is a special feel about the place as though you are going back in time.

OK I'm daft, I know.

In plot 290 is Longley Old People Home.

pattricia
09-10-2006, 19:46
But it doesn't actually name any of the three main properties in Longley :(

Greybeard, I was under the impression that Jabbers was talking about the fire station at the end of the road,which Longley Park is on.(cant remember the name) ?I may be wrong on this. Also I lived on Piper Close, but where is Piper Lane ?

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 22:41
Greybeard, I was under the impression that Jabbers was talking about the fire station at the end of the road,which Longley Park is on.(cant remember the name) ?I may be wrong on this. Also I lived on Piper Close, but where is Piper Lane ?

Well Longley Park lies between Elm lane and Longley lane. The only fire station I know is on Elm lane near the junction with Barnsley road at Sheffield Lane Top. But I could short on knowledge here :(

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=435875&y=391753&z=1&sv=Elm+lane&st=6&tl=Elm+Lane,+Sheffield,+S_5&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Piper lane is no more, - it has been superceded by Herries road. In the old days what is now Herries road was made up of several 'lanes'. From Fir Vale to the end of Crabtree lane it was called 'Smilter lane' - from there to the end of Longley lane it was called 'Piper lane' and from there to the end of Moonshine lane it was called 'Norwood lane'. After that it was little more than a cart track down to Wardsend. :)

Here's photo of Herries road when it was a cart track ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t01585

Grantham
09-10-2006, 22:50
Hi GB - how are you?

We are not too good on Sheffield geography - but does this mean that the FEARNLEY who is listed as a farmer - with the the address Piper Lane - in the 1833 Trade Directory for Sheffield still lived in the area of Longley Hall.

Ta :)

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 23:01
In plot 290 is Longley Old People Home.

And Longley Farm housing estate ? It's a few years now since I was in the area on foot.

From the bridge there was a pleasant walk alongside the dyke and through the woods all the way down to the Barnsley road entrance of the NGH. I can remember cows grazing in plot 290 :)

Greybeard
09-10-2006, 23:13
Hi GB - how are you?

We are not too good on Sheffield geography - but does this mean that the FEARNLEY who is listed as a farmer - with the the address Piper Lane - in the 1833 Trade Directory for Sheffield still lived in the area of Longley Hall.

Ta :)

I would say so. There was a farm called 'Norwood Farm' on the west side of Piper lane between the end of Norwood road and the end of Longley lane, - it would have been just a few minutes walk from Longley Hall.

At the end of Longley lane at the junction with Piper lane stood a large house called Norwood Grange and on the opposite side of the junction were the cottages known as 'Piper Houses', which i remember as a couple of shops in the mid 70s - ISTR one was a post office cum newsagent.

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 23:14
I would say so. There was a farm called 'Norwood Farm' on the west side of Piper lane between the end of Norwood road and the end of Longley lane, - it would have been just a few minutes walk from Longley Hall.

At the end of Longley lane at the junction with Piper lane stood a large house called Norwood Grange and on the opposite side of the junction were the cottages known as 'Piper Houses', which i remember as a couple of shops - ISTR one was a post office cum newsagent.
If thats the same place, the shops are still there and owned by my cousin.
As far as I know Dulcie, my cousin still runs the newsagents.

Grantham
09-10-2006, 23:24
Hi J and GB,

That would mean that the FEARNLEY family appeared in Trade Directories for that particlular area for at least 80 years.

Just an observation - not sure if it means anything!

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 23:26
Im really not sure what Dulcies surname is or maiden name was, Im not even sure if shes related to my mother or father-such is the family I stem from...
Ill email my bro and ask him....

Jabberwocky
09-10-2006, 23:36
Just recieved a reply, and Dulcie does own the cottages/shops and i was named after her husband. Ray.
My bro doesnt know their surname though.....I need to search more.

algy
10-10-2006, 08:26
Obviously some confusion about thr fire station. The only one in the area is on Elm Lane, but at the end of Crowder Rd just across the junction from where Longley Hall stood there is an ambulance station that looks similar to a fire station. Could this be what people are thinking of?

Greybeard
10-10-2006, 09:11
According to the caption to this photo..

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y02135

the shops were used as follows in 1950 -

Nos. 286, J. Pearson, confectioner; 288, Fredrick Mason, grocer & Norwood Sub-Post Office & 290, Keneth Asher Ltd., butcher. These are the Piper Houses on the map.

I assume Piper cottages were demolished when Piper lane was widened into Herries road.
http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18726

There's also a charming picture of Piper lane as it was in 1910.
http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18725

never wrong
10-10-2006, 09:16
Yes it does make interesting reading Jabb, Longley park seemed so big to me back then, I wonder if it's the biggest park in Sheffield, well Millhouses is I suppose now I think anout it.

just for the record the largest is Graves Park

Grahame
10-10-2006, 15:03
And Longley Farm housing estate ? It's a few years now since I was in the area on foot.

From the bridge there was a pleasant walk alongside the dyke and through the woods all the way down to the Barnsley road entrance of the NGH. I can remember cows grazing in plot 290 :)
Thats right Greybeard although from the day it was built I have always called it the "Longley Hall Farm Estate" and I don't think I'm on my own in that? People still walk their dogs by the dyke and a pleasant walk it is still, although the enlarged hospital buildings tend to come right up to dyke in places and they have put a high fence along part of it although you can still walk on the Barnsley Road side of the dyke.

To think I used to go jogging in the grounds of the hospital, but you couldn't do that now, and I remember when you could drive in at the Firvale entrance which has been sealed off for a long time.

Grahame
10-10-2006, 15:09
Obviously some confusion about thr fire station. The only one in the area is on Elm Lane, but at the end of Crowder Rd just across the junction from where Longley Hall stood there is an ambulance station that looks similar to a fire station. Could this be what people are thinking of?
The Longley Hall that Jabbers is interested in was across the road from the ambulance station. I think the fire station was on the site of another old house and this is causing some confusion?

Grahame
10-10-2006, 15:12
just for the record the largest is Graves Park
Your not wrong never wrong. Many the time I have stood in Graves Park and turned full circle and you can't see a house anywhere, just the park.

pattricia
10-10-2006, 15:19
Thats right Greybeard although from the day it was built I have always called it the "Longley Hall Farm Estate" and I don't think I'm on my own in that? People still walk their dogs by the dyke and a pleasant walk it is still, although the enlarged hospital buildings tend to come right up to dyke in places and they have put a high fence along part of it although you can still walk on the Barnsley Road side of the dyke.

To think I used to go jogging in the grounds of the hospital, but you couldn't do that now, and I remember when you could drive in at the Firvale entrance which has been sealed off for a long time.
Yes, I can remember when you could drive through the entrance to Firvale Hospital.At one time I was a student nurse at Firvale & my elder sister was an SRN at the the City General Hospital (Now Northern General).As we only lived on Piper Close,it was very handy for us both.

Grahame
10-10-2006, 15:35
Yes, I can remember when you could drive through the entrance to Firvale Hospital.At one time I was a student nurse at Firvale & my elder sister was an SRN at the the City General Hospital (Now Northern General).As we only lived on Piper Close,it was very handy for us both.
Now if you had been in the nurses home I might have bumped into you. Unfortunately not. I wonder if you knew Mr and Mrs Bull and their son. I think they may have lived on Piper Cres though.

pattricia
10-10-2006, 15:44
Now if you had been in the nurses home I might have bumped into you. Unfortunately not. I wonder if you knew Mr and Mrs Bull and their son. I think they may have lived on Piper Cres though.

I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.They also scaled the walls of Firvale but that was to get out,as it was a mental hospital. I can remember having a key to get on a special ward for "naughty girls".Mostly backward females whod had babies out of wedlock.Had to keep them escaping at all costs.! Nowadays if everybody was locked up with illigitimate children the wards would be full. The unusual ones today are the ones who are married.! The name Bull rings a bell Grahame.

Grahame
10-10-2006, 15:56
I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.They also scaled the walls of Firvale but that was to get out,as it was a mental hospital. I can remember having a key to get on a special ward for "naughty girls".Mostly backward females whod had babies out of wedlock.Had to keep them escaping at all costs.! Nowadays if everybody was locked up with illigitimate children the wards would be full. The unusual ones today are the ones who are married.! The name Bull rings a bell Grahame.
Yes it is going back thirty years or so, the son was very tall with jet black curly hair, anyway it dosen't matter. I was only in the nurses home to service the televisions unfortunately, although one day I knocked on a door and the the young lady who was half asleep must have thought I was her boyfriend because I thought all my birthdays had come at once. Unfortunately I had to decline her kind offer. She was beautiful.

Greybeard
10-10-2006, 21:10
I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.

Was that the Nurses Home that used to be Goddard Hall. ? I think the house is still there. It was a private residence long before the NGH was originally built as a workhouse.

My wife was a nurse there from 1975.

pattricia
10-10-2006, 21:46
Yes it is going back thirty years or so, the son was very tall with jet black curly hair, anyway it dosen't matter. I was only in the nurses home to service the televisions unfortunately, although one day I knocked on a door and the the young lady who was half asleep must have thought I was her boyfriend because I thought all my birthdays had come at once. Unfortunately I had to decline her kind offer. She was beautiful.
You werent there to service the nurses then Graham. ! Im not sure wether the nurses home was originally the place you mention.,greybeard ,It seemed quite an old building and is still there.

Jabberwocky
10-10-2006, 21:49
Did the nurses building get changed into the maternity dept in the 50s?

pattricia
10-10-2006, 22:26
Did the nurses building get changed into the maternity dept in the 50s?
It may have done if Grahame was around.! :suspect:

Jabberwocky
10-10-2006, 22:27
It may have done if Grahame was around.! :suspect:
Well if its the place I think it is then Grahame might have been my daddy! I was born there!

pattricia
10-10-2006, 22:31
Well if its the place I think it is then Grahame might have been my daddy! I was born there!
And I could be your Mummy ? Never thought I would have royalty for a son.:gag:

Jabberwocky
10-10-2006, 22:32
And I could be your Mummy ? Never thought I would have royalty for a son.:gag:
The royalty part isnt certain yet.
If it is though it wont change me.

Much...

pattricia
10-10-2006, 22:41
The royalty part isnt certain yet.
If it is though it wont change me.

Much...

Will you change your Avatar, M`Lord ? Maybe a crown would be appropriate, Sire ?

Jabberwocky
10-10-2006, 22:43
Will you change your Avatar, M`Lord ? Maybe a crown would be appropriate, Sire ?
I need an avatar to express my new found arrogance!

This avatar now will go as soon as hecate begs me to remove it and not a moment sooner!
Its the only bit of imagined power i have over her and I DEMAND my moment of pointless glory!

Grahame
15-10-2006, 08:41
Just revieved this email too regarding the rebels thing:

When I was a kid, I used to visit gramam with my dad. She was usually ailing and in bed. When I used to go upstairs to see her, she would always point to a carpet covered spot by the bed, and say, “Don’t stand there, it’s not safe”, I never knew, or thought to ask, “Why?” In those days, you spoke when spoken to, especially to older people. Years later, I found out a few facts, very reluctantly squeezed out of tight lipped aunties. How much is true?, I don’t know, but here it is…….., Very few people would discuss grandad, only occasionally would dad say he missed him, I understand that dad was only 13 when granddad died. Apparently gramams’ mam and dad lived in Stoke, or thereabouts, the local townsfolk drove the family out because they were hoarding arms for some revolution, or other. They came to Sheffield (or Rotherham, I’m not sure which), they met granddads parents, who were the local equivalent to their misdeeds, and that’s how our grandparents met. I understand that granddad was killed by the police in the 1926 riots. The only record I can find is that he died in the Northern General through epilepsy, (well, they would say this, wouldn’t they?) though I don’t know of any one else in the family who suffers from this, so I find it unlikely.
Coming back to the unsafe spot in the bedroom, apparently, they kept arms under the floor boards, (coshes etc.), this came from dad; he says the coshes were of lead, with a wire sleeve bound with tape.

Hi Jabbers. You said your family were a bunch of rascals and I had this thought, they say that birds of a feather flock together and in the Sheffield 5 area including Ecclesfield and Grenoside were the descendent's of the Loxley family, you can see the family tree here (http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/kirk6479/mycustompage0046.htm). I wonder if your family associated with any of them?

If these people were descended from Robert/Robin of Loxley, then your family may have felt quite at home at Longley, near to Southey and Deerlands as it is. :D

They say Robin Hood was a yeoman like your family on Longley Hall Farm so how do you fancy an avatar of a guy with a bow. If it tickles your fancy there are some good pictures here (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=robin+Hood&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N). :thumbsup:

saxon51
15-10-2006, 11:06
Just been informed that the occupants of Longley Hall used to keep a member of the family locked in the attic to avoid embarrassment. They let him out on occasion for exercise, and several people reported seeing the hooded figure with ugly feet wandering the grounds on a short tether..... usually after dark.

It kept the local kids away apparently.

You're famous Jabber.:thumbsup:

Jabberwocky
15-10-2006, 11:12
Famous in the same was as the Hunchback of Notre Dame was :D

saxon51
15-10-2006, 11:24
Yeah! I right bell-ringer.:hihi:

Jabberwocky
15-10-2006, 11:29
Its odd because my dad said there was a streak of insanity in our family and it appeared every few generations, maybe its something to do with inbreeding in the family history.
Mercifully, it hasnt raised its head for a few generations- unless you count my brother James whose as mad as a badger.

Heh, he`ll read that too.

saxon51
15-10-2006, 11:43
Apparently, you were known as 'Janice' back then. You were born in a barn, on Longley Hall Farm. It was a difficult birth by all accounts. The midwife, who was really the bloke who looked after the cows and pigs, took one look at you and slapped your mum.

There was an article in the papers of the time:

"Is it a boy? Is it a girl? No! It's ................... Janice!!"

Jabberwocky
15-10-2006, 11:46
I remember it because its gone down in the annals of the family history. It was a cesarian birth too, because I was breeched.
It hasnt effected me much, except that I seem to always get out of cars arse first via the sun roof.

saxon51
15-10-2006, 11:53
I remember it because its gone down in the annals of the family history. It was a cesarian birth too, because I was breeched.
It hasnt effected me much, except that I seem to always get out of cars arse first via the sun roof.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: I have no riposte, Jabber ... I mean Janice,..........I have no riposte. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Jabberwocky
18-11-2006, 13:23
Hi Jabbers. You said your family were a bunch of rascals and I had this thought, they say that birds of a feather flock together and in the Sheffield 5 area including Ecclesfield and Grenoside were the descendent's of the Loxley family, you can see the family tree here (http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/kirk6479/mycustompage0046.htm). I wonder if your family associated with any of them?

If these people were descended from Robert/Robin of Loxley, then your family may have felt quite at home at Longley, near to Southey and Deerlands as it is. :D

They say Robin Hood was a yeoman like your family on Longley Hall Farm so how do you fancy an avatar of a guy with a bow. If it tickles your fancy there are some good pictures here (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=robin+Hood&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N). :thumbsup:
I only just found this post.

I vaguely remember having ralatives who lived in Loxley, Im going to have to hunt this info out. Thanks for this.

PaulTansley
18-11-2006, 16:05
Longley Hall farm still stands but has been turnd into offices.
As far as I am aware its never been associated with Longley farm dairies which is above Holmfirth.
I have taken a couple of pics of it, the first being the original building that has been fully refurbished and the second is the new part being built recently that ajoins the old building with a glass porchway.
sorry the pic of the original buildings not great as it is almost covered by greenery from floor to roof.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/cycleracer/LongleyHallfarm004.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/cycleracer/LongleyHallfarm001.jpg

Grahame
18-11-2006, 18:27
Hi Paul, the picture with the bollard in it, was that at the junction of Longley Lane, Herries Drive and Crowder Road please.?

PaulTansley
19-11-2006, 15:22
Hi Paul, the picture with the bollard in it, was that at the junction of Longley Lane, Herries Drive and Crowder Road please.?
Grahame, you would be correct on that location.:thumbsup:

pattricia
19-11-2006, 15:25
Longley Hall farm still stands but has been turnd into offices.
As far as I am aware its never been associated with Longley farm dairies which is above Holmfirth.
I have taken a couple of pics of it, the first being the original building that has been fully refurbished and the second is the new part being built recently that ajoins the old building with a glass porchway.
sorry the pic of the original buildings not great as it is almost covered by greenery from floor to roof.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/cycleracer/LongleyHallfarm004.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/cycleracer/LongleyHallfarm001.jpgWonder if Jabbers has seen these photos ?

Jabberwocky
19-11-2006, 16:46
Interesting, to think of the times ive passed there and hadnt realised.

deano
19-11-2006, 20:27
Fascinating thread..........can't wait for more :)

pattricia
19-11-2006, 20:44
Interesting, to think of the times ive passed there and hadnt realised.

Same here.I thought it was somewhere else and had been pulled down

Grahame
22-11-2006, 16:09
Hi Jabbers.

I drove past Longley Hall this afternoon and it has "Longley Hall" on a name plaque fastened to the wall. This was on Longley lane. I would have taken a photo if I'd had my camera.

pattricia
22-11-2006, 16:13
Hi Jabbers.

I drove past Longley Hall this afternoon and it has "Longley Hall" on a name plaque fastened to the wall. This was on Longley lane. I would have taken a photo if I'd had my camera.

Just hope Jabbers has seen this thread.He should have a photo of this.After all his forebearers lived there. :D

Grahame
22-11-2006, 18:35
Just hope Jabbers has seen this thread.He should have a photo of this.After all his forebearers lived there. :D
I agree, I will try and take a picture next time I'm in Sheffield 5.:)

Jabberwocky
22-11-2006, 18:56
Oh Ive seen it. Im watching this thread very closely indeed.
The reason Im quiet is because Im trying to work it all out, Im in unknown territory here and learning more with each posting.

Janner
22-11-2006, 21:42
While we are in the Longley Park area , has anyone any pics of the building that became Firth Park Grammar school & know what it was originally.

Grahame
17-12-2006, 20:13
Have a look here Jabbers. It is about the old workhouse at Firvale and Goddard Hall is there as well. (Scroll down the page a bit) I found it very interesting and I was impressed about the tender loving care that was given and also the cleanliness. I thought it would be like a doss house but I couldn’t have been more wrong. See for yourself. Seems like a shame it shut down judging by the pictures.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Sheffield/Sheffield.shtml

pattricia
17-12-2006, 20:33
Have a look here Jabbers. It is about the old workhouse at Firvale and Goddard Hall is there as well. (Scroll down the page a bit) I found it very interesting and I was impressed about the tender loving care that was given and also the cleanliness. I thought it would be like a doss house but I couldn’t have been more wrong. See for yourself. Seems like a shame it shut down judging by the pictures.

We seem to have lost Jabbers,at the moment on SF,Grahame.I was very interested myself as I trained as a state enrolled nurse at the old Fir Vale Hospital in 1961.I worked on all the wards shown in the photos that you very kindly put on this site,through the link.The inmates look more like nurses on the photos,but I was impressed how well looked after they appeared.They seemed better cared for than old people today who go into hospital

Greybeard
17-12-2006, 20:36
While we are in the Longley Park area , has anyone any pics of the building that became Firth Park Grammar school & know what it was originally.

It was originally a house known as 'The Brushes' built I think by the Booth family about 1790. Here's a photo taken before it became a school...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05886

Edit: - apparently the house and lands were sold to the council in 1920 on condition they were used for 'education and housing', so that photo was later; but I don't there had been any significant alterations at that time (1930).

pattricia
17-12-2006, 20:42
It was originally a house known as 'The Brushes' built I think by the Booth family. Here's a photo taken before it became a school...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05886

It certainly looks a mess now as a modern building.The former Firth Park Grammer was a lovely building.I wonder why it was pulled down.?

Grahame
17-12-2006, 20:54
We seem to have lost Jabbers,at the moment on SF,Grahame.I was very interested myself as I trained as a state enrolled nurse at the old Fir Vale Hospital in 1961.I worked on all the wards shown in the photos that you very kindly put on this site,through the link.The inmates look more like nurses on the photos,but I was impressed how well looked after they appeared.They seemed better cared for than old people today who go into hospital
I remember the wards at Firvale very well myself, the ones right up at the top anyway. We used to go once a month, a group of us. I must have been in my early twenties. That would have been about 40 years ago. (What!)

I hope Jabbers is alright.:)

pattricia
17-12-2006, 20:57
I remember the wards at Firvale very well myself, the ones right up at the top anyway. We used to go once a month, a group of us. I must have been in my early twenties. That would have been about 40 years ago. (What!)

I hope Jabbers is alright.:)

May I ask what you went once a month for ? Im just nosey !

Grahame
17-12-2006, 20:59
May I ask what you went once a month for ? Im just nosey !
Oh dear me. To sing to the old dears on a sunday afternoon. (And I can't sing)

pattricia
17-12-2006, 21:11
Oh dear me. To sing to the old dears on a sunday afternoon. (And I can't sing)

Grahame I can remember this happening,as I used to hate working Sundays.The nurses also had to go round with lanterns on Christmas Eve singing carols.As most of the patients were drugged with tranquillisers,all we heard were snores in response to our singing. :D

Grahame
17-12-2006, 21:28
Grahame I can remember this happening,as I used to hate working Sundays.The nurses also had to go round with lanterns on Christmas Eve singing carols.As most of the patients were drugged with tranquillisers,all we heard were snores in response to our singing. :D
It sounds nice pattricia, I bet you have a nice voice as well.:) I have so many memories of Firvale I can’t believe it. An ex-girlfriend used to work in the laundry and I spent hours sitting in the car waiting for her to finish work, then there were my escapades in the nurses home when I went to service their televisions, then when I got married my wife worked in out-patients and we bought one of those big houses on Barnsley Road overlooking the hospital. Then after we had been to Firvale singing everyone used to come round for tea. But they are only memories and now my work takes me among some of the carers and clients in some of the other pictures on that web site. It is amazing how things work out and my memories of Firvale are good ones.

Greybeard
17-12-2006, 21:29
Seems like a shame it shut down judging by the pictures.

But it didn't shut down :confused: - when the system changed the buildings were put to use as a general hospital.

Grahame
17-12-2006, 21:36
But it didn't shut down :confused: - when the system changed the buildings were put to use as a general hospital.
As far as the old people are concerned those wards were shut-down and put to other uses. :)

I did not say they were demolished.

pattricia
17-12-2006, 22:26
As far as the old people are concerned those wards were shut-down and put to other uses. :)

I did not say they were demolished.

I wonder what the wards are used for now Grahame ?

PaulTansley
18-12-2006, 12:22
Mr and Mrs Bull used to visit my next door neighbour on Piper Road.
These days they live on Longley farm and Mr Bull is now deceased.

PaulTansley
18-12-2006, 12:27
It was originally a house known as 'The Brushes' built I think by the Booth family about 1790. Here's a photo taken before it became a school...

Edit: - apparently the house and lands were sold to the council in 1920 on condition they were used for 'education and housing', so that photo was later; but I don't there had been any significant alterations at that time (1930).
Mary Booth was murdered by her husband for having an affair and burried in the park itself, its still there according to records.

Jabberwocky
18-12-2006, 12:36
Wasnt there something about her ghost haunting the park?

Greybeard
18-12-2006, 13:17
It certainly looks a mess now as a modern building.The former Firth Park Grammer was a lovely building.I wonder why it was pulled down.?

I believe the new, modern sixth form college known as 'Longley Park' now occupies the site. Presumably an 18th. century mansion built for a wealthy industrialist was seen as a little out of character :D, but the condition imposed on the purchase of the land is still being complied with.

Sheffield Council seem to have an obsessive determination to demolition any historic building they get their hands on. The way they dealt with Norwood House was quite scandalous, and Longley Hall would probably have gone the same way had a private business venture not stepped in to save and restore it.

Jabberwocky
18-12-2006, 13:26

Thanks for that.
Its reminded of me another ancestor of mine, I cant remember it perfectly because I was told about it ages ago, its about a lady, a great aunt or something who was known as "the angel of hull" or something like that, aparrantly she won some sort of medal for her work with the poor back at the turn of the 20th century. Ill have to start emailing my bro again I think, hes sure to know more than me.

Greybeard
18-12-2006, 13:35
Mary Booth was murdered by her husband for having an affair and burried in the park itself, its still there according to records.

Interesting story Paul, - where did you find that ?

It's true that John Booth (the third) who built the house also had a mausolem built in the grounds, but he never married and the story is that when he died his horse was to be buried with him in this mausoleum.

Grahame
18-12-2006, 15:31
Mr and Mrs Bull used to visit my next door neighbour on Piper Road.
These days they live on Longley farm and Mr Bull is now deceased.
Thank you Paul, as they say, it's a small world. The strange thing is I bumped into Mrs Bull last week, she was standing in the bus shelter outside Longley Old Peoples Home.

Grahame
18-12-2006, 15:38
I wonder what the wards are used for now Grahame ?
That's another connection I have with Firvale, my mother was in the old Firvale part in 1999, so it is still being used for nursing, and I have to say the nursing care was excellent. :thumbsup:

PaulTansley
20-12-2006, 11:38
Interesting story Paul, - where did you find that ?

It's true that John Booth (the third) who built the house also had a mausolem built in the grounds, but he never married and the story is that when he died his horse was to be buried with him in this mausoleum.

Hi Grahame, I can't remember where the original story came from but there is a thread about the Park itself which mentions that every Valentines day at midnight that a white horse can be seen near the tree on the brow of the park with a rider onit, could this be the ghost of John Booth searching for his wife (if he had one) which he suposed to have killed when he chased her on his horse through the park having found out about her secret affair.

Leg-end
20-12-2006, 12:49
My family has a long history in Sheffield, and part of it was in Longley Hall. My grandparents--or great grandparents, - Im not sure which, lived there.

Does anyone know about Longley Hall? I tried the net but there isnt much around, so any info would be gratefully recieved.

What do yo need to know?

Its on Longley Lane and is now an old peoples home or something.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Longley+Hall,+Longley+Lane&sll=53.098145,-2.443696&sspn=7.551536,17.62207&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.414923,-1.461337&spn=0.001829,0.006062&t=k&om=1

Sheffield Scene has a good book on the entire area including history of the Bishopholme estate and everything else you'll ever need to know about Longley.

Grahame
20-12-2006, 18:26
What do yo need to know?

Its on Longley Lane and is now an old peoples home or something.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Longley+Hall,+Longley+Lane&sll=53.098145,-2.443696&sspn=7.551536,17.62207&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.414923,-1.461337&spn=0.001829,0.006062&t=k&om=1

Sheffield Scene has a good book on the entire area including history of the Bishopholme estate and everything else you'll ever need to know about Longley.
The Old People's Home is on Longley Hall Road. The building Jabberwocky is interested in is on Longley Lane and is called Longley Hall. Can you tell us about the history of Longley Hall please?

Jabberwocky
20-12-2006, 18:45
Im particularly interested in any references to a Holden Family, my mothers maiden name, they owned the house. The story is a little....well its VERY convoluted and Id like to know as much as is humanly possible!

Greybeard
21-12-2006, 20:57
I managed to find a little more of the history of Longley Hall from an article by Betty Dickinson in a booklet published by the The Southey and Longley Local History Group.

The house is 'supposed' to have been built between 1770 and 1790 and first occupied by Kenyon Parker, described as an attorney with offices at the Bullstake in Sheffield. He was married in 1758 to a daughter of the Shirecliffes of Whitley Hall in Ecclesfield.

Kenyon Parker died in 1800 and his son Adamson continued to live at Longley Hall until he too died in 1837. The contents of the house and farm buildings were sold at public auction in 1838, (possibly by another son of Kenyon Parker, Francis, a clergyman who died in 1840 according to R E Leader).

The 1841 census shows the house occupied by George Curr, but in 1851 he had been succeeded by one John Brooke 'draper and hosier with business premises in the centre of Sheffield', whose family continued in residence until about 1868.

Betty Dickinson writes "Longley Hall was to change ownership several times after 1871. Then Robert Binder took up residence and appears to have remained there until at least 1905" - which suggests she saw evidence of who the occupants were in the 1881 and 1891 census but for some reason didn't include these details in her article.

The occupants in 1907 were Frank Crawshaw (cow-man) and James Morris when the house and land were purchased by the Sheffield Board of Guardians 1907.

There are still lots of questions of course. Who were the occupants between the Brooke and Binder families - a gap of thirty-seven years ? And who did the Sheffield Board of Guardians purchase the propety from ? The question of ownership is not dealt with in this article and it is quite possible that some of the occupants were tenants or lessees rather than outright owners.

Grahame
21-12-2006, 21:26
Don't know if this helps regarding the Shirecliffs?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=whitley+hall+ecclesfield&spell=1

Grahame
21-12-2006, 21:28
There were not, we must conclude, the extremes of riches and poverty seen in later times. The lines of division were less marked, all classes being much nearer to a common level.

If there were many poor, there were few really wealthy. A very modest competence enabled a man to pass for rich in those days. In the neighbourhood of the town there were a certain number of families of superior station, but the modern manufacturing nabob would look with contempt on the wealthiest of these. Most of them were the descendants of yeomen, whose modest freeholds had, in the course of generations, and by advantageous marriages, been enlarged until the owners became squires and lords of manors. In some cases the revenues from landed property had been largely increased by profitable iron smelting and forging, at Wortley, or Chapeltown, or Attercliffe, or Renishaw, hy such families as the Sitwells, of Mount Pleasant, the Parkins, and others.

The wealth of the Clays, of Bridgehouses, came from Derbyshire lead mines; that of the Saundersons, of Grimesthorpe, from tanning. There were, hesides, the I3amforths of High House, the Burtons of Royds Mill, the Jessops of Broomhall, the Brights of Banner Cross (represented l y Lord John Murray), the Staniforths of Darnall, the Rawsons, tanners, of Wardsend, the Bagshawes (as successors to the Gills) of the Oaks, the Parkers of Woodthorpe, the Wilsons of Broomhead, and the Shirecliffes of Whitley. All these "sat on their own land." The Walkers were already beginning to build up large fortunes at Grenoside, and the Fells of New Hall were rich; but in both cases their wealth was made as ironmasters, and no instances can be found, until after 1750, of large individual prosperity derived from the town of Sheffield by those engaged in the staple trades of the place.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~exy1/fh_material/18C_sheffield/ch1.txt

There are Shirecliffe's listed at the Ecclesfield Church. The following is a footnote of the marriage of Nicholas Sheircliffe and Barbara Wombwell June 11, 1577. Nicholas Shirecliffe was of Ecclesfield Hall,gent. He was the son of Nicolas, son of Alexander, third son of Thomas Shirecliffe, "master of game" to the Lords of Hallamshire, who was son of William Shirecliffe, living 1499. The name is derived from Shirecliffe, near Sheffield. The earliest record I can find of this family in the Court Rolls is 1334, Nicolas de Shirecliffe seeks to be admitted to one Rood
in Shirecliffe.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ELAM-ROOTS/2000-07/0964163911

There is a gamekeepers cottage on Woodfold Shirecliffe at the top of Rutland Road.

Grahame
21-12-2006, 22:01
You mentioned Hathersage earlier Jaberwocky and here
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~exy1/fh_material/18C_sheffield/ch1.txt

Lower down the page it says “The Ashtons having ended in an heiress, Whiteley Wood Hall”

I wonder if this is the same Ashton family whose daughter married William Spencer (d.1756) of Cannon Hall? He is the man who removed Little John’s bow (so-called) to Cannon Hall for safe keeping.

This may provide a link between Hathersage and the Shirecliffs of Whitley Hall.

There are some prominent families here Jabbers.

Jabberwocky
21-12-2006, 22:03
Thanks for all that! Itll take some reading but Im sure my bro will be as fascinated as I am.
The more I read, the more I learn about at least a part of my ancestry, and Im finding it more interesting by the day.

Grahame
21-12-2006, 22:39
Does this help.

http://www.firthparkgrammarschool.co.uk/school02.htm

Greybeard
21-12-2006, 23:19
Don't know if this helps regarding the Shirecliffs?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=whitley+hall+ecclesfield&spell=1

Not really pertinent to the occupancy/ownership of Longley Hall :confused:

The crux of the matter is who owned the property and when. The name 'Holden' does not appear as an occupant but the various occupants could have just been tenants.