Has reading or writing helped you through a bad patch ?

My Mom died, and although she was 96, it upset me a lot.I didnt realise I was suffering from depression,but I was.All my thoughts were of death and funerals.It took me a good 9 months to get back to my old self again.I read a line from a book, by an author whos husband had died.She wrote "Grief turns out to be a place none of us know until we reach it " I thought this was very true,and after all her husband had died , and this was just my mother. It helped me a lot.

I tend to write when I'm in a bad place.. and yes it does help, especially when I look back at it when things are better.

Its private stuff though and I could never share it with anyone its far to raw.

I tend to write when I'm in a bad place.. and yes it does help, especially when I look back at it when things are better.

Its private stuff though and I could never share it with anyone its far to raw.

The thing is to get it off your mind and on to paper.Some therapy tells you to write it all down,seal it in an envelope, but never post it.

I used to write lots (and lots and lots) of diaries and streams of consciousness when I was first ill. It was immensely helpful, and let out a lot of the stress that I was feeling at the time. After you get into the habit of doing it, it's helpful not only to get the feelings out, but also to read them back to understand a little more about what you're feeling- somewhat like talking to a counsellor who reflects your feelings back for you to learn from.

I had been asked to compile some of my diaries into a book to help other people who were going through a similar thing, but when I read them back they were just too personal and I sat reading them with tears streaming down my face- then shredded 27 folders of diary.

Ive been through a lot of crap im my time and I find the only thing that helps is music. My other half can usually tell when Im particularly depressed or miserable about something because I have Numan playing.

All that writing is for me is a way to exercise my brain, and it needs LOTS of exercise! :D

I'm a scribbler and tend to write through various things in my life good and bad!

When I was 17 my dad died of cancer and I went through a bit of a rebel stage, my way of coping I am sure even though I know I was a living nightmare at the time. I wrote all about this but unfortunately when I felt I was over that stage I destroyed all my notes, I now wish I had kept them.

I'm a big believer of writing my thoughts down at the moment as for me I feel capture the feeling as it's happening, you might never feel that way again when looking back.

I look back now on the fun times and maybe some not so fun and smile, it's all parts of what makes me "me".:D

I'm a scribbler and tend to write through various things in my life good and bad!

When I was 17 my dad died of cancer and I went through a bit of a rebel stage, my way of coping I am sure even though I know I was a living nightmare at the time. I wrote all about this but unfortunately when I felt I was over that stage I destroyed all my notes, I now wish I had kept them.

I'm a big believer of writing my thoughts down at the moment as for me I feel capture the feeling as it's happening, you might never feel that way again when looking back.

I look back now on the fun times and maybe some not so fun and smile, it's all parts of what makes me "me".:D

Thats funny Brisbane,because I lost my father when I was 16,and I became a rebel.Lots of make up, low cut frocks,getting drunk, and staying out late.Seems nothing compared to how the young ones act today,but a girl does need a father I think, dont you ?

Pattrica, I was pretty much the same :hihi: My brother I think took over the father figure role and looked out for me, even when I didn't want him too.:hihi:

I am always writing poetry to gte my through the hard times

My mum had a stroke last january, and was an avid writer - she went to writers groups and writing classes here in sheffield. As the effects of the stroke began to show we thought, well at least she will be able to continue with her reading and writing.

unfortunately the stroke affected the part of her brain that processes words and language, so she now has poor understanding of written words, is unable to write effectively and unable to speak.

life can be so cruel ... had her stroke robbed her of her ability to walk, she could have coped with that, but being unable to communicate and continue with the one thing she loved has been hard to watch.

still, at 72 she is still battling on ... she made the momentous step of going back to her writers group last friday, so im hoping this is a step in the right direction - the women who go to the group are fabulous and very supportive - im sure if anyone can relight her interest in writing it will be them.

My mum had a stroke last january, and was an avid writer - she went to writers groups and writing classes here in sheffield. As the effects of the stroke began to show we thought, well at least she will be able to continue with her reading and writing.

unfortunately the stroke affected the part of her brain that processes words and language, so she now has poor understanding of written words, is unable to write effectively and unable to speak.

life can be so cruel ... had her stroke robbed her of her ability to walk, she could have coped with that, but being unable to communicate and continue with the one thing she loved has been hard to watch.

still, at 72 she is still battling on ... she made the momentous step of going back to her writers group last friday, so im hoping this is a step in the right direction - the women who go to the group are fabulous and very supportive - im sure if anyone can relight her interest in writing it will be them.

I do hope just the company of these other women will cheer her up,shes been very brave hasnt she ?

I do hope just the company of these other women will cheer her up,shes been very brave hasnt she ?

Im sure they will patricia, thanks.

They were very supportive of her when she was in hospital, visiting her regularly and reading to her and just talking to her...they kept her going when we werent there!

She has been incredibly brave - it has taken us about 3 months to convince her to go back to her group ... as an active member of all she has been involved in, i imagine it has been quite torturous for her, knowing she cant contribute as she has done in the past.

Her sister took her, and said that after a couple of moments of stunned silence, all hell broke lose and there were hugs and tears flying all over the place - it has given her a definate boost!