Flea Treatment Mega Thread! (Merged Threads)

My two beautiful cats are scratching and biting at themselves and i need to make it stop!

theyre one years old and never had them, but since another cat keeps coming in to our house, fleas have appeared!

ive just ordered a flea trap from ebay to get rid of ones in the house, but whats the best POA for kittys themselves?

what do vets do and how much does it cost~?

are other treatments effective?

thanks! :help:

I always found cats didn't like the aerosol sprays and used Shirleys Flea Powder. I had a little white kitten that came to me with fleas and when I put the powder on her, all the dead fleas came to the top of her fur.

where did you get that from? and can you recall the price?

im just trying not to traumatise my cats, is it difficult to apply??

you could try a treatment like 'Frontline Spot-On'.

It's just like a little vial of liquid that you apply to the base of the cat's neck. You only need to apply once a month until the fleas have gone and it's really effective (my cats only needed one treatment each). I can't recall the price, but you could try doing a quick google search.

Or, if you're on an income related benefit, sheffield RSPCA vets are open on a monday and a thursday between 2-4pm and offer much lower cost treatment than a regular vet's. You'd need to phone & make an appointment on the day though.

good luck! :)

I've always used stuff form the vet - Frontline. It's also good against ear mites as well. One pack is about GBP15 and contains 6 months worth of treatment as 6 phials of a clear liquid. You break one of the phials open, and rub it on the skin of the back of the neck - just part the fur and rub it in.

It kills the fleas for about a month, and also kills the next generation if they try and hatch out on your kitties. I also comb them regularly. I don't spray the place these days - I'm a bit loathe to mix insecticides. :)

EDIT - Great minds think alike, luv_milk! :)

Joe

The most effective treatments are all available only from vets- so you'll need to be registered with a vet to get them. There are a number of different ones available, most of which are available in the drop-on formats. Ones that I've used for my lot and found Ok to use include Frontline, Stronghold and Advocate.

Oooh- and Frontline do a green one that also treats the fleas about the house while your cats lie in their bed. That would be handy wouldn't it?

Medusa - yes, for soem odd reason one of the moggies here uses Frontline and the other uses Stronghold. :)

At least the boxes are different and come labelled with the cat's names. :)

No difference in effectiveness, though; both seem pretty good. If they have fleas from another cat, they might also have picked up ear mites. If that's the case they might benefit form a trip to the vets as he can have a look in to the ears, remove any crud and prescribe an ointment specific for the mites.

If they scratch hard at their ears and screech, I'd definitely check for mites - nasty little critters.

thanks for the fast replies!

ive looked on google, and site sells the frontline stuff anyway, so i think i'll purchase that, i just wanted confirmation from 'real people' which products actually worked!

this'll cheer up the troublesome two anyway, at the moment all i can hear is jingle jingle from the bells on their collars!

I used Bob Martins treatment once but it was for cats and it made one of my cats froth at the mouth. Put me off using these treatments.

ive found quite a few sad stories on the net about cats dying from that product, why on earth is it still available in the shops???!!! :loopy: