View Full Version : Sickness bug going round

Sony
05-10-2006, 08:48
I've felt terrible for the last few days and it's not clearing! I haven't been sick but had diarohea and have the most awful nausea!

granda-grunt
05-10-2006, 08:59
yes someone were my wife works has the same as you

Maggie1900
05-10-2006, 09:49
Yes,
My mum started with it on Sunday, I got it the day after and it is still affecting me the way it's affecting you.

Sultana
05-10-2006, 09:52
Yes - it took me 3 weeks to feel properly better, but I'm fine now - yey!

carcrash
05-10-2006, 09:59
I've been pretty ill this week and now my other half has come down with it

Sony
05-10-2006, 10:02
i just don't know what to do with myself. i feel so sick and i can't eat, can't sleep either. I hope it clears up quickly.

Bozz
05-10-2006, 10:04
I too am just getting over it after 3 weeks of feeling absolutely rubbish

Albert Tross
05-10-2006, 10:10
Student Flu. Comes every year at the same time.

40,000 of em decend on the City from the four corners of the globe bringing the bugs with em.

Shazbat
05-10-2006, 11:41
Yes, my sister and baby nephew have had it this week. She's ok now but he's still struggling with it. He's fine in himself, just doing REALLY bad nappies :gag:

datal
05-10-2006, 12:27
Try taking Echinacea/Goldenseal (from Holland & Barretts) this time of year, to boost your immune system, ready for the winter "bugs" we tend to catch, I was fed up of catching colds & bugs around Xmas till I discovered Ecky..... it really does work for me.

Lotti
05-10-2006, 12:33
I think so, my dad's not been good but it seems the dogs have caught it too :gag:

BobbyBunny
05-10-2006, 12:42
Most of my family has had it.
I haven't, luckily. I've got a killer cold though :(

samsmum
05-10-2006, 12:58
yes, there has been a particularly nasty virus doing the rounds - one ward that i know of at the northern was closed because of it. quite a few hospital staff have been ill too ... not nice - just keep the fluid intake up and rest :D

Cuey
05-10-2006, 16:37
Start taking Echinacea/Goldenseal (from Holland & Barretts) this time of year, to boost your immune system, ready for the winter "bugs" we tend to catch, it really does work.

What a load of old tosh. You'll be recommending putting frogs on your head and only taking to virgins next. This kind of herbalist nonsense is beyond belief. Show us the empirical facts because as far as i know the medical proffesion has nover seen absolute evidence about any of this. "Boost your imune system" If it was that easy it would be prescribed to anyone with an Auto Imune illness. As far as i know its not part of the treatment for Aids just yet.

Stick to properly tested pharmacuticals and don't waste your money and Holland and Quack.

CP1981
05-10-2006, 16:43
Yeah I came down with it yesterday, hopefully it wont last long because I want to go out this weekend :mad:

hockeybear
05-10-2006, 17:40
Thanks for the tip Cuey but I have a problem, I can find plenty of frogs but ...........................
Dave..

Tess
05-10-2006, 17:59
Yeah ive had it for the last week and a half, have now past it on to my brother, my mum, my boyfriend and my best mate.... im such a bad person :P

And i agree, there is nothing you can do about it, just gotta grin and bare it, like you do every year.

xxx

Diesel
05-10-2006, 18:01
Yeah ive had it for the last week and a half, have now past it on to my brother, my mum, my boyfriend and my best mate.... im such a bad person :P

And i agree, there is nothing you can do about it, just gotta grin and bare it, like you do every year.

xxx
You any better??!

datal
05-10-2006, 18:15
What a load of old tosh. You'll be recommending putting frogs on your head and only taking to virgins next. This kind of herbalist nonsense is beyond belief. Show us the empirical facts because as far as i know the medical proffesion has nover seen absolute evidence about any of this. "Boost your imune system" If it was that easy it would be prescribed to anyone with an Auto Imune illness. As far as i know its not part of the treatment for Aids just yet.

Stick to properly tested pharmacuticals and don't waste your money and Holland and Quack.
Aaaaah!!! So everybody has to just listen to you then do they?
Is your aim to put people off, even before they have the choice of trying it?

I suffered from painful sore throat, aches & pains & was generally feeling really ill, I went to see my doctor who stuffed me with antibiotics thinking I had tonsilitis, I was still very ill for months afterwards..... not knowing what was wrong, I ended up having blood tests, which proved the illness I had was Glandular Fever, I already had stuck to a "properly tested pharmaceutical drug" prescribed by my doctor...... IT DIDN'T WORK DID IT!!!

I gradually felt a little better but would catch cold after cold & felt so drained & miserable with it all...... a friend recommended Echinecea, reluctantly & in desperation I tried it & rapidly started to feel better.... & YIPPEE!!! no more colds.
I'm not a Holland & Barratt junkie, but good ole Ecky' works for me & if others try it on the strength of my 'post' & they benefit from it then that'll do for me.
By the way thanks for giving me a chance to explain more about it......CHOW!!!!

davyboy
05-10-2006, 18:21
yes it's in the south too. My family have felt like c**p for over a month. totally wiped out no energy and diarhea.
I had an extensive blood test but all parameters ok.
Doc put it down to a virus

Diesel
06-10-2006, 05:50
Oh god i've come down with it now. Been up all night.

rubydazzler
06-10-2006, 06:35

Before you rubbish someone else's opinion in that dogmatic way, you should do some research, innit. I had one cold and illness after another when I started shop work due mainly to customers coughing and sneezing into my face, handing me their money with a snotty hanky in the same hand :gag: etc.

A customer recommended echinacea to me and I now take it from September to about March. It works! Even if I get a cold, I recover within a day or two, so I have every faith in it. I think the fact that millions of people use it and find it works, is testing enough for me. Natural goodness is better than some artificial compound worked up in a lab, imo.

datal
06-10-2006, 08:28
Before you rubbish someone else's opinion in that dogmatic way, you should do some research, innit. I had one cold and illness after another when I started shop work due mainly to customers coughing and sneezing into my face, handing me their money with a snotty hanky in the same hand :gag: etc.

A customer recommended echinacea to me and I now take it from September to about March. It works! Even if I get a cold, I recover within a day or two, so I have every faith in it. I think the fact that millions of people use it and find it works, is testing enough for me. Natural goodness is better than some artificial compound worked up in a lab, imo.
Thank you for your support about echinacea.

After my illness of Glandular Fever I noticed that every time I returned to work & someone coughed or sneezed I would be ill again & had to take even more time off work..... the little magic bottle was my saviour & has been ever since.
It may not work for everything & everybody but it will always be in my first aid box.

Furthermore I believe that because I was prescribed masses of antibiotics my immune system gradually began to suffer & the echinacea helped to restore the balance.

subverTV
06-10-2006, 10:53
As I think somebody has already pointed out, as masses of students cross the natural flu belts, everybody in the country is exposed to new bug variants. I used to work student nights consistently for about 10 years and would always cop a nasty one at the end of September (hot sweaty clubs, lots of bugs..) I have to say that Echinacea works for me too, but i guess maybe not everyone. Doing a quick Google turned up this

http://www.alive.com/3009a6a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=8

raganoonande
06-10-2006, 11:37
I think there must be. A girl I work with, her sister's just had one. Sickness and diaorrhea for a few days and now she feels flu-like symptoms

Diesel
06-10-2006, 12:06
Is there any point going to the doctor for this??!

Sultana
06-10-2006, 12:22
Me & hubby take Zinc, and this seems to have helped us fend off most colds & flu. Neither of us has had a bad cold or flu since we began taking it over 2 years ago.

Diesel
08-10-2006, 10:48
I'm sure mine has turned into a big cold now. Still have this awful nausea. And the bloody docs don't want to know!! I could scream!!!!!!!!

jennym705
08-10-2006, 12:18
Diesel, another frogs/virgins sort of post - try some nux vom 6 (homeopathic) for the nausea. Me and the kids have all had this bug. Nux vom worked for 2 out of 4 of us. Or try ginger, that works for some.
Boots sell both of these "herbalist nonsense" stuff

phawley
08-10-2006, 16:01
"VIRUS" Doctor speak for "I havn't got a clue"

datal
08-10-2006, 16:40
Jennm705.... thanks for your info on 'nux vom 6', another one for my "1st aid box".

Diesel.....No disrespect to doctors, but I have every excuse in the book not to totally rely on them, as I have been badly let down many times & because of it, had to find & try "alternatives" (or 'choice' for want of a better word) for myself, whether herbal or otherwise, to finally help end my ongoing suffering.
Could it be that some GP's are too dependant on the multi-million pound drug companies who persuade them to distribute only "their" products.

AGB1
08-10-2006, 16:52
"VIRUS" Doctor speak for "I havn't got a clue"

Virus - doctor speak for 'antibiotics wont work against this, the best treatment is to rest, drink lots of fluids, take some paracetamol and let it pass'

I'm curious as to what you want prescribing or want your GP to do for you?

Alex

Fudbeer
08-10-2006, 17:36
i had it bad for about a week then slow recovery but be warned it can come back when you think its over.

Diesel
08-10-2006, 17:42
i had it bad for about a week then slow recovery but be warned it can come back when you think its over.

Well that's reassuring! I'm really worried now.

pk014b7161
08-10-2006, 19:07
i had it for 2 days just came on sudden

tanya
08-10-2006, 22:30
Fresher's flu. It lasts longer every year.

Fudbeer
08-10-2006, 22:38
Well that's reassuring! I'm really worried now.

sorry should add i did not feel nearly as bad the second time

shihtzumad
13-10-2006, 09:57
i have had this rotten sickness bug, so has my daughter, waiting nah for rest of family to get it, even my dog got it, its nasty..............i feel for you who gets its next.

YakQueudrue
13-10-2006, 10:02
Yep, my sister and brother-in-law had it, my brother then got it, now I've got it, feel shocking. Worst bit is not being able to sleep.

MartynB
14-10-2006, 22:52
A bug like this usually comes round University Cities at this time of year for some reason. It's usually nicknamed "Fresher's Flu" and guess who gets the blame for it? :hihi: I would guess though that it's more to do with the season changing.

With regard to herbal remedies, Echinacea is fantastic for colds and flu. With respect to the person who claimed herbalists are a load of rubbish, bear in mind that herbal remedies have been around for hundreds of years. They were first rubbished by people claiming they were "witchcraft" mainly due to the fact they could prevent people seeing physicians and paying them the money instead. Modern day cures such as penicillin have been shown to be in use for centuries before the medical profession "discovered" them. I would agree that in most cases, the first port of call would be your GP but to rubbish herbal remedies the way you did shows a similar narrow-mindedness to those who branded it as "witchcraft".

Space
18-12-2007, 15:48
Hey all

Has anybody here had/got that new sickness/flu bug thats going around South Yorkshire? It sounds terrible, some of my family have it. It starts off with you being sick, then it turns into a flu type thing with a really sore chest, coughing, totally blocked up nose, feeling dizzy and pounding headache!

Can't wait :(

medusa
18-12-2007, 15:51
Oh yes- we both had this last week, resulting in almost a full week of lying in a heap on the sofa without any energy to do anything. It's not like you feel anything specifically bad once the sickness has passed, you just feel like you could sleep for a month and ache all over.

Space
18-12-2007, 15:53
Sorry to hear that! :(

Thats what my parents have right now! Not nice!

samc
18-12-2007, 15:54
Ooh goodie vomiting - just in time for the Christmas hols !

lyndsayx
18-12-2007, 15:57
i had something last week, bad cold/flu. but wasn't actually sick with it, thankfully!

sophiec1979
18-12-2007, 16:33
hmmmm, during the last week ive had the worst cold ever i ever remember having....but no sickness thank goodness.

it seems to be a particularly virulent cold and is steadily working its way round our entire office....and i think it may have been my fault! :(

x

joanne5600
18-12-2007, 16:39
My 2yr old has it - for the last 12 days and cant have anything other than calpol as its viral!! hes sick and full of cold

Miss_S_83
18-12-2007, 17:08
Hi,

Me and half the staff where I work in MHell and my daughter, OH's mum and dad, have all had a really stinking cold that seemed to be coupled with a nasty dull headache for 2 solid days and still hasn't fully gone after 9 days.

Sickness going round too, 24 hour bug.

bus man
18-12-2007, 17:11
I started a frotnight last friday the aching limbs the head that felt it would explode when I coughed I could just manage but the sickness and dia**** finaly got me . Understand it lasts about 6 weeks from start to finish - bliss and joy - bliss and joy -

Space
18-12-2007, 17:54
If its a virus, there's little the doctors can do unfortunately. I'll probably end up with it for Christmas as everyone around me has it at work and at home.

With sickness and stuff, best thing to do is drink plenty of fluids because you lose them easily through dehydration etc.

If you start shaking and shivering, take paracetomol as its because you have a raised temperature, this can also help with the runs.

Bah!

MkII
18-12-2007, 17:57
There's a cold/flu virus going around? In winter? Surely not.

Space
18-12-2007, 18:00
There's a cold/flu virus going around? In winter? Surely not.

It differs slightly as you also get very bad vomiting and the trotski's.

happylady
18-12-2007, 18:16
Me and hubby had it last week. Totally knocks you off your feet. Didn't get the sickness bit luckily

madowl
18-12-2007, 18:49
2 of my babies (Daughters) are sick with this at the mo...:(
although they are 17, 16 years old...:P
dad do this dad do that....:rant:

You just wait till i get Man flu.... will they elp likkle me?:hihi:

The Giraffe
18-12-2007, 19:09
Hey all

Has anybody here had/got that new sickness/flu bug thats going around South Yorkshire? It sounds terrible, some of my family have it. It starts off with you being sick, then it turns into a flu type thing with a really sore chest, coughing, totally blocked up nose, feeling dizzy and pounding headache!

Yup - I've had it and the hubs as had it too :( - you start off thinking you've got a stomach bug, felling sick, maybe actually being sick and then you're hit with a severe head cold/headache/ache like the flu, no energy and like other people say you sleep for a week!

yak!

xxsarahxx
18-12-2007, 19:21
iv got it now and feel totally...:gag::gag:
iv got blocked nose, fuzzy head, feeling sick and im very very achy.

no doubt OH willget it soon but his will be an extreme case of man flu tho...:hihi:

jayne67
18-12-2007, 19:35
Yep,

Both of us still recovering...we seem to have had it for weeks...really difficult to get rid of. Hopefully though it will be bearable for crimbo!

Jayne

hillsbro
18-12-2007, 19:41
We both had it. The cough and catarrh wasn't too bad but I just had no energy - it really knocked my duck off for a couple of weeks. Stayed in, took aspirin and drank whisky...

SILLY
18-12-2007, 19:47
Oh no I feel totally rubish sick and dizzy just managed to finish wrapping prezies hope I'm ok for Christmas or else I won't be the only one to suffer hubby no good at cooking. Still look on the bright side I could do with loosing a bit of weight not the way I planned to do it though.

LitleMermaid
22-12-2007, 20:33
Oh bum, I seem to have caught this. Been feeling right dizzy all day, like when you are mega hungry. Haven't eaten much so I though that was all it was, until I got home from work this evening. Sat on the rug in front of the fire wrapping pressies, next thing I know I'm waking up on the floor-I don't even remember laying down lol:confused:

And now I've just been badly sick, I always forget how horrible being sick is:( Anyone who's had this-does it last long?

I feel awful, and so tired!:(

youwhatref
22-12-2007, 20:39
Yep, suffered with it a few weeks ago. Starts with feeling run down and then feeling sick and being sick. After that has gone (couple of days) you're back to feeling run down and having a heavy cold. I ended up with Ear & Chest infection brought on my it. It took two weeks to go and even now my hearing still isn't right. My littles one have also suffered. Again it was on the news last night with hospitals struck down by it.

pinkamazing
22-12-2007, 20:45
Jus had a full week of it last week... bloody thing.

LitleMermaid
22-12-2007, 20:48
Oh fantastic...Christmas is going to be a bundle of laughs then:(

daewoo
22-12-2007, 21:00
our 6yr old had this 3 weeks ago he went back to school for 2weeks and hes ended up been of school all this week with tonsilites and hes now on antibiotics till thursday next week, touch wood we have all been fine.

LitleMermaid
22-12-2007, 21:05
touch wood we have all been fine.

Yeah my family have all had it and I thought I'd been the lucky one...obvisouly not:(

Feeling right sorry for myself now!:(:(:hihi:

Space
22-12-2007, 23:04
By the sounds of it, my mum says she feels like she just can't be bothered to do anything she's so tired! It's not like her at all and my dad called the doc out to her becuase she could hardly speak she was that tired. He said its all down to this bug thats going around right now and gave her antibiotics for her chest.

Only thing to do is wash your hands more after touching things like supermarket trolleys etc. and if you sneeze and cough, cover your nose/mouth. Drink plenty of water too.

LitleMermaid
22-12-2007, 23:08
By the sounds of it, my mum says she feels like she just can't be bothered to do anything she's so tired! It's not like her at all and my dad called the doc out to her becuase she could hardly speak she was that tired. He said its all down to this bug thats going around right now and gave her antibiotics for her chest.

Only thing to do is wash your hands more after touching things like supermarket trolleys etc. and if you sneeze and cough, cover your nose/mouth. Drink plenty of water too.

Thanks. I am trying to drink water but I can't seem to keep anything down. I am even delaying taking my contraceptive pill for a few hours in the hope that my stomach ill hvae settled. Certainly don't want that out of my system do I*wishes there was a "scared stiff" similie*:|:hihi:

I hope your mum gets better soon:)

Space
22-12-2007, 23:12
Thanks! Hope your lots better for the 25th too!

*Cyber hug* :)

beddoe79
22-12-2007, 23:25
I had it about 4 weeks ago and have been left with a sinus infection and antibiotics for my birthday and christmas :-)

bus man
23-12-2007, 08:29
The vet - oops sorry doc told me it could last 6 weeks start to end .

Drink plenty of fluids keep warm , I went back to work yesterday as the hassle toget a doc note for one day was too much my manager laughed when I said I wanted to put black death on the self cert

Hope you are feeling well soon

Rivelin6
23-12-2007, 09:29
Had it too, 3 weeks ago had the cold aspect, then had a weeks grace but this last week had a really hacking cough and stomach bug- just in time for Christmas:( Supposed to be starting new job Boxing Day too.

Radman
26-12-2007, 19:59
Is it still around? my Xmas has been rubbish, i have an immune system problem, but this has been a nightmare, i haven't been able to eat hardly at all, coughing my guts up, nausea, etc.

btw, I have just used the search engine to find this thread, there are loads, i don't remember so many bugs, cold, low grade fevers, etc as that of the last few years, certainly more than in my youth.

barmyowls
26-12-2007, 20:27
Hey all

yeh ive had it then i got rid of it, NOW got it back again its a nightmere

m^rk
27-12-2007, 00:55
Hey all

I have got it at the moment i can't sleep properly i was sick yesterday morning twice i have got a soar throat runny nose my nose is blocked i have had quite a number of excruciating pains in my chest i have felt veyr dizzy at times aswell:( it just doesn't get any better for me grrrrrrrrrrr.

fresa
27-12-2007, 01:04
Hey all

Yes my son has got it. He got poorly on his 6th birthday 2 days before Christmas and I feel really sorry for him cos he still hasn't recovered. He still managed to open his presents and crack a smile tho. Bless him.

sezemeseeds
27-12-2007, 09:43
Hey all

Horrible to say but glad Im not onlyone. Had it since sunday (23rd) and still got it. never felt so weak before in my life, it sucks the life out of you. The aches are unreal. so painful. my poor family had to help me out and without them I would have been stuck looking after my daughter. my hubby at work and son work too. roll on the day I feel better.

Heyesey
27-12-2007, 09:52
Horrible to say but glad Im not onlyone. Had it since sunday (23rd) and still got it. never felt so weak before in my life, it sucks the life out of you. The aches are unreal. so painful.

That's much like the one I collared two Christmases ago, but this time around I've only caught a mild version of it. Was completely useless yesterday with a bad chest, but it's already recovering, and I was never sick or unable to breathe due to a totally blocked nose.

Maybe I've been exposed to this particular strain somewhere before, on my travels. Or maybe feeling better today is just the calm before the storm :suspect: :D

Googleberry
27-12-2007, 09:52
We've had it. Started with the trots - very bad indeed. No energy and very dizzy, followed by violent and very painful vomiting, which came as a relief - felt a bit better after that! 36 hours later and still no appetite, but I forced down some porridge which has given me a boost.
Thought I'd treat the trots with a simple oral rehydration solution:
# one level teaspoon of salt
# eight level teaspoons of sugar
# one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled
- makes five cups to be sipped slowly; tastes a bit yucky, but made me feel better. Got rid of the headache, which I think was caused by dehydration.
Not had the coughy chesty thing so far - makes me think that there may be two bugs going round. Looking forward to catching the other one now! :gag:
Not only did I have a total lack of energy, I had a total lack of motivation too. All I could do for four hours after the trots subsided was to press the channel-up button on the TV remote - my good fortune that the TV was switched on! :hihi:
If I'm right about the source of my infection, incubation is less than 24 hours!

Radman
27-12-2007, 10:51
For people with M.E, this is sadly what it is like most of the time

Googleberry
27-12-2007, 10:57

What, diarrhoea and vomiting?

ReginaldD
27-12-2007, 11:00
Sounds stupid but I really want the flu. Everyone keeps going on about it saying how bad it is, I fancy a taste of it myself to see what it is really like. So if anyone has a good example of flu at the moment you could cough your germs in a jar for me, pm me and I'll tell you the address to send your germs to.

I had a look on ebay but couldn't find anyone selling it.

Mathom
27-12-2007, 13:57
We had bad colds a couple of weeks ago, with this vile hacking cough and bad chests. Now I've got a stomach bug - I felt sick yesterday morning, eventually ate something for tea and was burping up fizzy wind all night that tasted of eggs and now the bum is under attack too. I've eaten a bit of toast and two dry crackers today and I've got a bloomin' fridge full of goodies I have no inclination to touch :( My main meal today has been a dose of Imodium and some tonic water. Scared to death because I had to make up the baby milk and my hands are raw I've used that much antibacterial soap. :(

mr_busdriver
27-12-2007, 14:17
Friend of mines got a bug, hes got trots..... :hihi:

Like a Shetland Pony, hope hes got plenty of loo rolls :help:

:hihi::hihi:

honeyb35
27-12-2007, 14:40
loads of members of my family and friends have this at the moment, :( what a time for it!

Shazine
27-12-2007, 14:41

I agree, my daughter has ME and I wonder how she copes sometimes, with two kids to look after, although she has a great fiance who does loads for her.

I had this bug three weeks ago and then I started with it again a couple of days later. Lasted about 10 days in all. OH has started with this today, being sick and got the trots, aches, fever etc. My turn to do the looking after I think:roll::roll:

InvalidUser
27-12-2007, 15:16
Sounds stupid but I really want the flu. Everyone keeps going on about it saying how bad it is, I fancy a taste of it myself to see what it is really like.

:hihi: That's funny. I've had it since Xmas day and I've never felt so bad in my life. Be careful what you wish for.

gina2007
27-12-2007, 15:31
Arghh..So this is what i've got :(:( Mine started as a cold, blocked nose, cough etc. Slowly went to headaches ect so I presumed flu until trots and sickness came last night! How long does it last....not long I hope... due to give birth in 3 weeks!!!!

Heyesey
27-12-2007, 17:02
Sounds stupid but I really want the flu. Everyone keeps going on about it saying how bad it is, I fancy a taste of it myself to see what it is really like. So if anyone has a good example of flu at the moment you could cough your germs in a jar for me, pm me and I'll tell you the address to send your germs to.

It would technically be illegal, since the vendor would be deliberately causing harm to another person.

I don't believe "the victim wanted me to" is a valid excuse in law. :D

beddoe79
27-12-2007, 17:20
If its any consolation its going around Alicante in Spain too.

SpiderPete
27-12-2007, 17:27
I got it the day before Chrimbo.

Hardly drank all week, and just had a text to go out to the pub , and refused. :o:o I must be ill.

Annoying thing is that ALL YEAR I didnt once get ill. :rant::rant::rant:

EmilyM
27-12-2007, 18:10
My boyfriend had flu, it started Sunday and it got worse Christmas Day, he was is bed for 9.30, had a really bad fever and aches. He felt better Boxing Day, but says he is still a bit achey, but not sure if some of that is playing Wii Sports most of Boxing Day.
His brother became ill Boxing Day, thought it was hangover cos he was sick first, but then he got raised temperature and aching too.
I'm hoping it is flu because I had a flu jab on the 12th of December, so I should be protected. I haven't had it yet, hopefully (fingers crossed) I won't get it.

mr_busdriver
27-12-2007, 19:18
I got it the day before Chrimbo.

Hardly drank all week, and just had a text to go out to the pub , and refused. :o:o I must be ill.

Annoying thing is that ALL YEAR I didnt once get ill. :rant::rant::rant:

Thats a sickner, I had something similar in 2004.

Broke up from work 22nd Dec, started being violently sick on the 23th Dec, then had severe trots on Boxing day (and the people in the tsunami thought they had problems), which lasted for 3 days. Then from the 29th to the 3rd JAn completely weak.

Them to top it off, I felt 100% by the 4th Jan..... the day I went back to work...... GGGGRRRRRRR

eda49
27-12-2007, 19:19
Had it over Christmas....not fun at all!

Still got it now :(

MazR
27-12-2007, 19:56
Hi all, I'm new to the Forum so, season's greetings to you all!

I've been looking for something on precisely this: on xmas day my 2 sisters and nephew had been really ill with this and had only just climbed out of their sick beds, my brother in law and another nephew were really ill and had to go home early, my other brother in law and my 2 brothers were starting to feel really ill: probably coming down with it. At the same time on the other side of town my boyfriend's 2 brothers, sister in law and nephews have all had it and some didn't even make it to christmas dinner at all.. This was the first I knew about it so such a double whammy was even more shocking. It seems to be a particularly vicious and incredibly contagious virus and my BF and I are just praying that we've somehow escaped - hope all afflicted are feeling better soon.

stentaford12
27-12-2007, 20:47
I'm sure mine has turned into a big cold now. Still have this awful nausea. And the bloody docs don't want to know!! I could scream!!!!!!!!

hi, i got a bug in march and ended up in hospital twice because of it, i still feel very sick sometimes, n i think ive got a touch of this bug atm, try motillium its rele good n u can get it in suppositries if u cant take swallowing the tablets, and nux vom herbal medecine is very good, also some oils can releive nausea i have some that works well but cant remember what its called, lucy x:rolleyes:

LitleMermaid
27-12-2007, 21:24
:banana: :banana:

Mine seems to have gone...finally! Still feeling slightly pukey if I stuff myself, but I don't ache and I think that horrible stabbing headache has finally left me for good too!!

Googleberry
27-12-2007, 21:28
A bug like this usually comes round University Cities at this time of year for some reason. It's usually nicknamed "Fresher's Flu" and guess who gets the blame for it? :hihi: I would guess though that it's more to do with the season changing.

With regard to herbal remedies, Echinacea is fantastic for colds and flu. With respect to the person who claimed herbalists are a load of rubbish, bear in mind that herbal remedies have been around for hundreds of years. They were first rubbished by people claiming they were "witchcraft" mainly due to the fact they could prevent people seeing physicians and paying them the money instead. Modern day cures such as penicillin have been shown to be in use for centuries before the medical profession "discovered" them. I would agree that in most cases, the first port of call would be your GP but to rubbish herbal remedies the way you did shows a similar narrow-mindedness to those who branded it as "witchcraft".

That's a load of tosh! Echinacea is no good for anything, except ripping vulnerable people off! Bear in mind that the sick have been desperate for a cure since the possibility of such was first mooted, probably millions of years ago. They tried everything, including Echinacea, usually without success, and often with fatal consequences. The current fad for this herbal nonsense arises from that same desperation; effective cures are not available for everything yet, and some people, unable to accept this, part with large wads of cash for these wholly fraudulent 'cures'.

Cite one substantiated incidence of penicillin being used before it was discovered.

m^rk
27-12-2007, 21:31
I still feel awful i feel really run down i have a blocked +runny nose i keep having dizzy spells i feel really weak and keep sneezing and still keep getting awful pains in my stomach anyone else feeling the same???:(

LitleMermaid
27-12-2007, 21:35
I still feel awful i feel really run down i have a blocked +runny nose i keep having dizzy spells i feel really weak and keep sneezing and still keep getting awful pains in my stomach anyone else feeling the same???:(

Aww it will get better! That's exactly how I felt, really rough, now all that's the matter is a runny nose and pukey-ness if i scoff too much:hihi:

Hope you feel better soon:)

m^rk
27-12-2007, 21:54
Aww it will get better! That's exactly how I felt, really rough, now all that's the matter is a runny nose and pukey-ness if i scoff too much:hihi:

Hope you feel better soon:)

Thanks i hope i do too it's no fun Being ill I went to the Blackpool game yesterday even though i was ill i wish i hadn't bothered i felt even worse than before after seeing such drivel.

I blame Bryan Robson:hihi:

troubledjoe
27-12-2007, 22:20
my girlfriend has it, it started on xmas day, ruined xmas for her and as a result of it she collapsed at the sink this morning, smashed her head on it and now shes in the northern general hospital!

LitleMermaid
27-12-2007, 22:24
Oh bum I just stuffed my face and now I feel like I want to puke:gag::suspect:

Only got myself to blame I suppose:hihi:

m^rk
27-12-2007, 22:30
my girlfriend has it, it started on xmas day, ruined xmas for her and as a result of it she collapsed at the sink this morning, smashed her head on it and now shes in the northern general hospital!

Awww i am sorry to hear that mate i hope she gets better soon and makes a speedy Recovery.

m^rk
27-12-2007, 22:32
Oh bum I just stuffed my face and now I feel like I want to puke:gag::suspect:

Only got myself to blame I suppose:hihi:

Don't Blame yourslef your Entitled to stuff yourself.:hihi:

troubledjoe
27-12-2007, 22:35
cheers pal. im sure she will.

LitleMermaid
27-12-2007, 22:36
Don't Blame yourslef your Entitled to stuff yourself.:hihi:

Hehe yes, I am, thanks for reminding me:D

Seeing as half my Christmas dinner got moved to my sister's plate because I just couldn't face it, I was devastated to watch my stuffing and yorkies and roasties and quorn move off my plate into someone else's mouth, it was a truly awful moment:(

m^rk
27-12-2007, 22:38
Hehe yes, I am, thanks for reminding me:D

Seeing as half my Christmas dinner got moved to my sister's plate because I just couldn't face it, I was devastated to watch my stuffing and yorkies and roasties and quorn move off my plate into someone else's mouth, it was a truly awful moment:(

I couldn't eat much i felt very ill all i managed was some sprouts and a few carrots.:(

satman2222
27-12-2007, 22:40
You lot have had it easy. I've only had mild stomach problems, but I have had the flu like aches/temp/weakness/passing out/chest infection/ear infection/sinus probs most of December on and off. I've been taking antibiotics AND penecilin together all month and keep getting a bacterial infection that comes out in itchy blisters (including inside my mouth and nose that is constantly bleeding).
I'ts cost me over 80 in prescriptions so far. :rant:

Oh - and I had the flu jab in November! :huh:

...and lost a stone in weight....:)

Ms Macbeth
28-12-2007, 06:17
Threads merged

barnie41
28-12-2007, 09:49
Littlad got th bug two weeks ago - passed it to my iother half, and just when I thought I'd got away with it, Xmas eve it hit me. Only just got out of bed. I've never been so tired, almost delerious, can't eat, bad coughs, sickness and sweating like I've never known. Mind you, I've had some of the weirdest dreams ever.

Jabberwocky
28-12-2007, 09:59
Just spoke to my neighbour who was quiet over Christmas. I found out they were quiet because they spent eve, day, boxing, the day after and today throwing their guts up. Theyre still very dizzy and ill.

Im thinking about taking then a nice greasy bacon and egg sandwich around to cheer them up a bit.

barnie41
28-12-2007, 10:01
Just spoke to my neighbour who was quiet over Christmas. I found out they were quiet because they spent eve, day, boxing, the day after and today throwing their guts up. Theyre still very dizzy and ill.

Im thinking about taking then a nice greasy bacon and egg sandwich around to cheer them up a bit.

Bring one to my house, and a massive bottle of orange lucozade.:thumbsup:

BasilRathbon
28-12-2007, 10:03
You lot call that being ill? I've just had a flu infection that was so bad that my nose fell off, I threw up my own body weight several times an hour and eventually I was pronounced clinically dead and buried for a fortnight in Crookes Cemetery. I only escaped by clawing off the coffin lid and tunneling through the earth with my unusually spade-shaped hands.

Now that's what I call a sickness bug!

Googleberry
28-12-2007, 16:36
You lot have had it easy. I've only had mild stomach problems, but I have had the flu like aches/temp/weakness/passing out/chest infection/ear infection/sinus probs most of December on and off. I've been taking antibiotics AND penecilin together all month and keep getting a bacterial infection that comes out in itchy blisters (including inside my mouth and nose that is constantly bleeding).
I'ts cost me over 80 in prescriptions so far. :rant:

Oh - and I had the flu jab in November! :huh:

...and lost a stone in weight....:)

I think you need to be on an isolation ward!

troubledjoe
28-12-2007, 17:57
You lot call that being ill? I've just had a flu infection that was so bad that my nose fell off, I threw up my own body weight several times an hour and eventually I was pronounced clinically dead and buried for a fortnight in Crookes Cemetery. I only escaped by clawing off the coffin lid and tunneling through the earth with my unusually spade-shaped hands.

Now that's what I call a sickness bug!

somebodys been watching monty python!!!

Jon
28-12-2007, 23:13
Yup, its just hit our house :(

beddoe79
29-12-2007, 08:37
Finished my antibiotics for my sinus infection on boxing day, only to have it replaced with what feels like tonsillitus and a bad cold again.

Mandem
29-12-2007, 15:04
Blimey, this sound quite widespread and nasty.
My two children are in bed at the moment, (27 and 25) both have had to leave work early, and boy has been sick and now has the flu type symptoms.
Daughter is now in bed with flu symptoms, and dizziness, can't eat. I feel like I have been hit by a bus, with cough and sore throat All me need now is for husband to get it, then we will all be laid up.

bulldog D
29-12-2007, 18:00

Sounds rather stupid to me. I had flu once and never again, I was bed ridden for a good 4 days, you don't want it. Though if I feel it coming on again I'll be sure to pm you

Googleberry
29-12-2007, 18:06
Yup, its just hit our house :(

Is that the one with the fresh coat of beige pebbledash? :hihi:

LitleMermaid
29-12-2007, 18:16
Oh for God's sake. I simply cannot shake this off. Being dizzy all day at work, and feeling pukey. Can't decide if that's the bug still trying to kill me or the result of an excess of alcohol and too little sleep last night??:suspect::hihi:

*binty*
29-12-2007, 18:55
Oh for God's sake. I simply cannot shake this off. Being dizzy all day at work, and feeling pukey. Can't decide if that's the bug still trying to kill me or the result of an excess of alcohol and too little sleep last night??:suspect::hihi:

I'd say it's the bug but if you have passed it onto me, i'm gonna kick ur ass :hihi: I've got a few pains in my stomach today :confused:

LitleMermaid
29-12-2007, 18:59
I'd say it's the bug but if you have passed it onto me, i'm gonna kick ur ass :hihi: I've got a few pains in my stomach today :confused:

Aye the preoccupation and feeling like I've been punched in the chest is actually the direct result of last night....:suspect::(

If the stomch pains feel like a cross between a stitch and period pain, then I am very very sorry....:help:

*binty*
29-12-2007, 19:00
Aye the preoccupation and feeling like I've been punched in the chest is actually the direct result of last night....:suspect::hihi:

If the stomch pains feel like a cross between a stitch and period pain, then I am very very sorry....:help:

No, they don't feel like that :hihi: It's hard to explain how they feel :huh:

LitleMermaid
29-12-2007, 19:02
No, they don't feel like that :hihi: It's hard to explain how they feel :huh:

:wow: No comment after what deej jokingly told us last night....:o:D

*binty*
29-12-2007, 19:03
:wow: No comment after what deej jokingly told us last night....:o:D

:hihi: Now that did have me in stitches :D

libuse
29-12-2007, 22:05
Yuk, I've got it horribly. I googled something along the lines of "winter flu bug 2007" or similar on google last night and Sheffield Forum was the second biggest hit - looks like the plague has hit here the worst. I'm all full-fat Coke and sinutab right now

sezemeseeds
30-12-2007, 13:37
I have it still, already been on this thread about it. started on 23rd dec. still bloody have it. now on antibiotics and still bad, keep going dizzy now and cough very very wheezy. hubby went to doc and got some antibiotics for him cos he was bad and he told doc I was worse than him and so doc sent some antibiotics for me too.

LitleMermaid
30-12-2007, 17:10
Now I am getting peed off! I am having a right rough time at the moment anyway, but my dizziness WON'T GO AWAY, and work made it perfectly clear today if I have any more time off with this then I will be in deep deep trouble...:(

The thing is, I work with food, and surely I shouldn't really be around it with a sickness bug? I didn't go in last Sunday because of it, (I was up all night on Saturday being sick) and I got into trouble the next day, but what did they want me to do?

HANCO
30-12-2007, 17:47
I started on the 17th, firstly being sick then a stinking cold, headache,dizziness etc. I started feeling better on the 22nd then it returned with a vengence on Thursday(27th). Im supposed to be back at work again tomorrow but i feel really crap... looks like New Years Eve celebrations are out of the window, just hope things pick up for my 40th birthday on Thursday:partyhat::partyhat::

mel77
30-12-2007, 18:54
i think i might have got it too! :mad::gag:

I feel: dizzy, sick, tired, sore throat, shaky, headache, a bit of a 'space cadet', neck pain, ache all over and all i want to do is crawl into bed....

Paracetamol have had no effect :(

I want to be ok for tomorrow as ive paid 25 for NYE tickets! :(

LitleMermaid
30-12-2007, 18:58
i think i might have got it too! :mad::gag:

I feel: dizzy, sick, tired, sore throat, shaky, headache, a bit of a 'space cadet', neck pain, ache all over and all i want to do is crawl into bed....

Paracetamol have had no effect :(

I want to be ok for tomorrow as ive paid 25 for NYE tickets! :(

Sore throat is a definate clue, the first thing the first guy I spoke to at work today said was "How's that for a husky voice?":hihi:

Just get into bed now and try and get some sleep just in case you start actually being sick, cos you won't get much sleep then:(

Hope you feel better by the morning :)

bobbyblade
31-12-2007, 05:25
started sunday morning, diahrea and sickness,the first has continued through the night and is as bad this morning,
dilema time due to ring in work in 24 hours to tell them that im starting back but i cannot see it at this moment, i also work in a care home and several other members of staff have it as well.:(

Unisol
01-01-2008, 13:07
My wife has been ill over christmas.

She's coughed so much she's developed a sexy husky voice!

Scammy
01-01-2008, 17:17
Has anyone not been able to breathe with this?

bus man
01-01-2008, 17:21
Has anyone not been able to breathe with this?

I was having trouble when laying down in bed, I have had this for 5 weeks this friday - I am now getting bored with it

Scammy
01-01-2008, 17:22
5 weeks...i know someone who had something wherethey couldnt breathe so they went to hospital and were givin antibiotics. I think theres alot of different harsh bugs going round.

bus man
01-01-2008, 17:25
I was told by the vet - oops sorry doctor that it would last around 6 weeks so Ive only got another 9 days or so

Scammy
01-01-2008, 17:29
Vet hahah...6 weeks thats abit steep....Are you been sick with it as well?

mr_busdriver
01-01-2008, 21:15
Friend of mines still got the trots after a week. :D

Poor blokes stuck on the bog :help:

Sounds painfull, I told he should get some shares in Andrex, I think they will have noticed a jump is sales in the past week, so :thumbsup: from the people at Andrex

me-and-pippo
01-01-2008, 23:03
Friend of mines still got the trots after a week. :D

Poor blokes stuck on the bog :help:

Sounds painfull, I told he should get some shares in Andrex, I think they will have noticed a jump is sales in the past week, so :thumbsup: from the people at Andrex
Now that's made me laugh, well as much as I dare laugh...
without having an accident, that is.
One poster spoke about 'Ring in work' .. well I think mine has disappeared down the bog hole.
Others speak of coughing .. well I dare not do that.
Arse for the Andrex, well mine has gone beyond that, it's now that sore and tender .. I'm on soft cloths and warm water.
m&p :(

Taximark
01-01-2008, 23:06
Now that's made me laugh, well as much as I dare laugh...
without having an accident, that is.
One poster spoke about 'Ring in work' .. well I think mine has disappeared down the bog hole.
Others speak of coughing .. well I dare not do that.
Arse for the Andrex, well mine has gone beyond that, it's now that sore and tender .. I'm on soft cloths and warm water.
m&p :(

Too much info :hihi:

GazB
03-01-2008, 13:40
I have it too. As does my girlfriend, as does my brother and his girlfriend, and my boss.

Today is the first sick day I've taken since 2006 :(

My immune system is usually very good...

Radman
03-01-2008, 13:51
Its official, millions have now got it and its spreading, though I still think there are many other bugs, etc around.

from the guardian

Stomach bug outbreak worst in UK for five years

* David Batty and agencies
* Guardian Unlimited,
* Thursday January 3 2008

Thousands of people struck down by a severe stomach bug sweeping the UK have been advised to stay at home in an attempt to halt the outbreak.

More than 100,000 people a week are catching norovirus - also known as the "winter vomiting virus" - which causes vomiting and diarrhoea, but the figure could double this month, experts said.

The Health Protection Agency, which monitors infectious diseases, said the outbreak is the worst since 2002, with around two million people infected so far.

An HPA spokeswoman said: "This season we have seen an increase in reports of norovirus cases, almost double the number reported for the same period last year."

Anyone affected by the virus should remain at home until 48 hours after they last suffered symptoms, says the Royal College of General Practitioners.

Professor Steve Field, the RCGP chairman, said the number of new cases each week could top 200,000 with children contracting the bug at school and then infecting their parents.

He said: "The number of norovirus cases this year is the highest in five years. Hospitals have been inundated by referrals and through casualty. Local GPs are also seeing a huge number of cases.

"People are at home with it over the holiday, which is the best place for them, then next week the schools go back and you get a child outbreak and the children go home and give it to their parents.

"My advice for those affected is to stay at home, take paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids. You should also wash your hands regularly so you don't infect anyone else and stay at home two days after the symptoms have gone."

Norovirus is highly contagious but not usually dangerous. However, young children and frail elderly people are at risk of complications from dehydration and may require hospital treatment.

There is no specific treatment for the virus apart from letting the illness run its course. Symptoms usually begin 12 to 48 hours after becoming infected and last for 12 to 60 hours. Most people make a full recovery within one or two days.

The bug can be spread by contact with an infected person, though contaminated food or water, or by contact with contaminated surfaces or objects.

Outbreaks are common in hospitals, care homes, schools and nurseries, as well as on cruise ships.

Radman
26-02-2008, 11:48
Still around these nasty bugs, its months now, when are they going to go away?

phawley
26-02-2008, 13:06
I've had it twice now (the second time much more severe) and my wife 3 times, each time it has been caught from our grandkids. :(

Minesadouble
26-02-2008, 13:08
Yup I had this last week.....

Lurvly - I'll spare you all the details :gag:

But..... much better now :hihi:

bus man
26-02-2008, 21:13
I went back to the doctors on Monday its still not gone away - got some antibiotics hope it now goes - I am now geting bored