Free things to do in Sheffield?

Be good to make a list of free things to do in Sheffield

City Museum, In Weston Park 1 mile W of Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield.

(Wed-Sat) 10.00-17.00, (Sun) 11.00-17.00

The museum is dedicated to the industrial history of Sheffield's past and houses various collections including one of cutlery and Sheffield Ware.

Graves Art Gallery, Top Floor Of The City Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield

(Tue-Sat) 10.00-17.00

The gallery houses various collections, the majority of which are by 19 & 20C British Artists, including Turner, Nash, Gwen John and various Pre-Raphaelite artists.

Ruskin Gallery, Norfolk Street, Midway between the Crucible and the Town Hall, Sheffield.

(Tue-Sat) 10.00-17.00

The building houses the Collection Of Saint George, which was set up to improve the cultural lives of working people of Sheffield. The collection includes, watercolours, paintings, medieval illustrated manuscripts and minerals.

Mappin Art Gallery, Weston Park, 1 mile W of Sheffield City centre, Sheffield.

Within the Mappin Art Gallery is housed part of the City Of Sheffield's collection of 19C paintings.

Haven't got time to write all details, but Sheffield Ranger services run programme of events in Parks around city (kids, adults, walks, bike rides) and also 'Health Walks' during the week at various points arouns the city.

Their no. is 0114 2578840 (??) - I got leaflet from Library.

Can anyone tell me about the Cemetery walk? 1st Sunday every month?? - Is there a programme - quite fancy the Halloween one that saw listed in What's On which always seems to be out after 1st Sunday each month!!

Lets hope for lots more info here, coz I don't want to spend all my time just going to pub due to lack of other things to do. So any suggestions to a recent(ish) newcmer to Sheffield.

Thanks

Originally posted by hiyabeing

Can anyone tell me about the Cemetery walk? 1st Sunday every month?? - Is there a programme - quite fancy the Halloween one that saw listed in What's On which always seems to be out after 1st Sunday each month!!

According to the Sheffield General Cemetery website 'Regular tours around the cemetery are the first Sunday of every month starting at 2pm.'

http://www.gencem.org/ and have a look at the events page

PS - What's a Firth Park resident doing posting at 6am? And you'd be best to stay out of the pubs up there too - I've been told the Wharncliffe on Bevercotes Road has the odd punchup now and then (well, I suppose it's more exciting than navigating the one way system)

First 2 fencing lessons are free at The Sheffield Fencing Club.

Originally posted by Jon

The museum is dedicated to the industrial history of Sheffield's past and houses various collections including one of cutlery and Sheffield Ware.

I think this is closed for refurbishment for a few months (maybe longer) as we visited it a while back and they had signs up to let you know.

(It could do with a good make-over though, so it should be worth it!)

The Millenium Galleries and Winter Gardens is free to get in, and is a quite impressive place.

On the Hope Valley Railway, there are 2 programs of events which are free (although you do have to pay for a train ticket) - one is the Monthly folk music train to Edale, if you like that sort of thing, the other is the guided walks. The Penistone Line Railway has a similar program of events.

Originally posted by Jon

Be good to make a list of free things to do in Sheffield

Graves Art Gallery, Top Floor Of The City Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield

(Tue-Sat) 10.00-17.00

The gallery houses various collections, the majority of which are by 19 & 20C British Artists, including Turner, Nash, Gwen John and various Pre-Raphaelite artists.

Ruskin Gallery, Norfolk Street, Midway between the Crucible and the Town Hall, Sheffield.

(Tue-Sat) 10.00-17.00

The building houses the Collection Of Saint George, which was set up to improve the cultural lives of working people of Sheffield. The collection includes, watercolours, paintings, medieval illustrated manuscripts and minerals.

Mappin Art Gallery, Weston Park, 1 mile W of Sheffield City centre, Sheffield.

Within the Mappin Art Gallery is housed part of the City Of Sheffield's collection of 19C paintings.

There is one adjacent to the winter gardens also !!!

the site gallery

sofa sessions at the showroom cinema (film discussions)

central library

botanical gardens / other parks

I have a week off work but I'm really slint, so was hoping other than what has already been suggested years ago on this thread, if there is anything else to do for free in Sheffield over the next week?

walking around lady bower

climbing stanage edge

cycling through whitely woods

:)

Tar ^^ no bike, but also tempted to visit Fox House, does any know if the mushrooms are out yet?