Big Day Out in Castleton, Sunday 10th December

I had the notion a while back of doing a day trip to Castleton that would be a hybrid, in two groups, one of long-walkers doing a hike, another of short-strollers or less energetic types, who could wander round and visit a couple of caverns and the castle (or whatever). Then the hikers would come back and meet the other group for tea and scones, or cake and beer, and discuss happy things.

I don't mind doing all the research into things, and I've no date in mind yet, but I thought I'd flag it up now so people can mentally bookmark the idea. I would especially like newbies, lurkers and shy people who feel apprehensive about taking the first step, to come forward for something that doesn't have to be too much of a challenge. And it's easy to go home if you don't like us! :P

It's been suggested that we go when the Christmas lights are up. Do people have any preference for particular caverns? Are there any favourite shops or spots around town that people want to take in? Who wants to hike, who wants to stroll? Speak up or I'll go away and sulk. :thumbsup:

Brilliant idea, I'd definately be up for it.

if its a week day i'm up for either/both.

lights start November 18th btw.

Sounds like a good plan- just bear in mind 2 things.

1 The tea shoppes are heaving when the Christmas lights are up- I took a number of people out there last year when the lights were up.

2 Some of the caverns' opening times are limited by the weather so if there's heavy rain in the couple of weeks before the planned day this part of the plan could be affected.

I could be up for the tea shoppe bit, but I wouldn't make it into any of the caverns and what most people call a stroll I call a whole load of back pain.

The lights get switched on at 4.30 on the 18th. On the website there's a list of lovely things, but doesn't make it clear if they're for the switch-on party, or things that are on over a period of weeks. I've no idea who switches them on. Are people bothered about that? If we were to go on that day, I suspect the caverns will be busier. Too busy? (And there will be loads of kids everywhere, presumably.)

Simul-typing, Medusa. It doesn't have to be strictly two groups - people can take it as easy as they like. Good point about the caverns, by the way.

Not that I'm important enough for people to change plans just to include me.......but, I'm not going to around from Nov 17th to Dec 3rd

stupid joke........................

i'm not joking.

i have to work when everyone else is at home.

i.e evenings & weekends.

A couple of the caverns get flooded in the winter so may be inaccessible. However if I can get there (public transport) and Im not working I'd love to go. Can't beat some dinner in the castle pub and a wander around a cave. :thumbsup:

i'm not joking.

i have to work when everyone else is at home.

i.e evenings & weekends.

No, lol. Sorry. It was an edit - I got rid of a stupid joke, it's not a comment on your post. :)

I'm making a right pig's ear out of this thread. :rolleyes:

Hi Fox! :wave: Come out to play. We have a good time! Plenty of time yet to synchronise watches.

Put me down on the list of people wanting to come :thumbsup: