Let's complain to the Council

Hi,

I am so frustrated about the following:

- the state of many allotment areas: they are not just overgrown, they are covered in a mass of trees. Also, they are so badly numbered you don't know which ones you are viewing. And that's if you are Indiana Jones and have a good machete to allow your way in.

- The fact that many allotments in decent sites are taken, but are clearly not being used. In the meantime, us keen gardeners have no plots. Surely the Council can do regular check-ups and stop rental renewals.

- The high incidence of vandalism in many areas. This has often been reported but there no notice has been taken.

Why should we put up with this? I suggest all of us who care complain en masse to the Council ([email protected]). If they receive an avalanche of e-mails there is a good chance they take some action. Let's all take action!

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Suggest you go about it in a more organised way than individual emails sent en masse because what could happen is that they'll say is that your's is the only complaint they've received blah blah bblah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... Therefore we trust you understand that it would be inappropriate use of Council resources. blah blah blah blah

You could organise a group of like minded people and go to your next area panel meeting. These are attended by your local councillors, officers and representatives of various bodies associated with your local areas.

If you inform the area panel co-ordinator in advance, s/he could arrange for an officer/councillor connected with allotments to attend the meeting.

Or you could check the web site for the Councillor who chairs the Allotments Group and bombard him/her with the emails :hihi:

You'll probably be better off complaining to your local councillor(s) rather than direct to the allotment office. As far as I understand it the allotment office has a staff of two, one of which never leaves the office leaving one to inspect the 3,000+ allotments in Sheffield.

Given the state of the Hagg House site, I'm guessing they've not been down there recently - the map they send out has a car parked marked on it, long since overgrown by trees (as far as I can tell) and like you said cris71 it's really difficult to determine what numbers the plots are, and in some cases find your way on to them.

There do seem to be more people taking on allotments on that site at the moment, so that may prompt the council to clear up the paths around there a bit more at the very least. Nothing against the people in the allotment office, they've been really helpful with all my questions but I get the feeling there fighting a bit of an unhill battle with the number of staff they have,

Rob

:mad: Hi everyone. I have just taken over my allotment. o9r shall I say the Bolivian rain forest. I had been on the site for a few weeks, trying to cut my way through all the undergrowth and brambles, when I realised that instead of a shed I also had a lovely greenhouse.I agree with all the comments made, the council want people to tenant their allotments but will not give any intial support to the allotment holder. I asked for help to remove rubbish etc the reply was, you took the plot, you clear it. There is a lack of commitment by the allotment department to assist or try to assist. Paths are overgrown, health and safety issues do not seem to be considered, so I would suggest that all tenants of allotments in Sheffield bombard the council, they have a right to consider our feelings after all they are accepting us as tenants. what do other frustrated gardenrs think.

when i asked for permission to cut a tree down they said 'as long as you can do it yourself without any help from the council then yes'

when i asked about moving the rubbish when i signed for it they said 'it's your problem now' :o in so many words,

i dont think they really care as long as we all pay our rent in time!

dave :thumbsup: