Camcorder lens & filter help please :-)

Hello, I recently bought a basic home video camcorder (Sony CCD-TRV128 Hi8 ) and I'd like to capture truer colors, better image, etc.

My first question:

Do polarizer filters do the same thing as neutral density filters, or do they just block glare? What do you reccomend?

My second question:

Am I able to attach a lens filter and a wide angle lens (Sony VCL-0637S)? Does the filter go on first, then the wide angle lens? Or do I attach the wide angle lens and attach a larger size filter?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sorry I can`t help you re camcorder, I use digital cameras.

A polarising filter is used out doors mainly to make skies look more blue or a deeper colour.They also cut out unwanted reflections from windows metal objects etc.

A UV filter cuts out uv light or haze to you and me,they are also used as a protector for expensive lenses as they are cheap.

Filters are usually mounted on the front of the lens so a larger size will probably be needed.

A search for Sony forums may tell you about specific cameras.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Don't forget that camcorders use the white balance to set colours. Adding a filter might not have the effect you expect as far as colours are concerned as the white balance routines may just compensate to a greater or lesser degree.

For truer colours try setting the white balance manually.

Just a side note on Polarising filters - if your lens is auto focus, you'll need a circular polarising filter.

I have a Sony TRV65E Hi8 handycam, and i do not have any filter lenses.

One bright sunny day i was out beside a river taking shots of fish and got

the idea to hold my Polaroids over the lens of the camera.

And yes it made a vast improvement to the clarity of the shots, so i tried

the same with my 2x telephoto lens attached. This made the total optical

zoom 32x, and that worked fine. Since that i removed a lens from an old pair

of Polaroids and if i need a filter, i attach the lens with a bit of masking tape.

You may laugh, but it's a lot cheaper alternative and it works. :)

Since that i removed a lens from an old pair

of Polaroids and if i need a filter, i attach the lens with a bit of masking tape.

You may laugh, but it's a lot cheaper alternative and it works. :)

As this thread has been ressurected,with a digital camera I taped the front lens of a binocular to my lens and made an extreme close up lens.This can also be done by adding an slr 50mm +- lens the wrong way round to the front of the digicam.